Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
Propane Regulator

We are the proud new owners of a 2011 Mountaineer 346LBQ and we love it so far but have noticed one nagging problem. Ours has the automatic tank switch for the propane and here lies the problem. One of our tanks seems to develop tons of condensation on it and the auto switch changes it to the other tank. Problem is, the original tank still has lots of propane in it. So I go and switch it back to the original tank and run the stove and it works for a bit until it does the same thing again. It only does it on one tank, the one farthest from the main switch regulator.

Any ideas and how to fix it? It is chilly outside, maybe in the 40's.

Thanks!

Jeff

MrLeavingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We had to change our regulator on a 2009 from a 18 lb to a 30 lb per keystone so maybe you need a new regulator, Now camping wourld gave me a price of 129.00 plus 63.00 install and i got it fronm north trail for 14.67 and put it on myself

sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
This is something they would warranty I would think on a new unit??
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
This must be the season for propane regulator troubles. Yesterday we had our third new one within a 6-week period installed. Since we're on our way to the 7 Feathers Rally in Oregon, we're hoping this one actually works. The first one was defective, the second one was "full of plastic particles and oil," and the new one . . . well, the third one's a charm, right?

I am going to be VERY unhappy if we have to work with only one propane tank again instead of the two tanks.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Greetings, propane is liquid cryogenic fuel, meaning it gets colder when it boils. It boils when pressure is released during usage. Then when it boils the gas vapor is formed and flows from the tank. So, if you are using the tank and it starts to sweat, that means you are using fuel from it and it is humid outside. Perfectly normal for a propane tank. Just like a cold glass of beer on a hot summer day. Bottom line, I think you may have a sensitive Excess Flow Valve (EFV)in your tank. What happens there is if the EFV is defective, it trips when it's not supposed to, then tank outlet pressure is reduced to almost zero, the auto-changeover regulator thinks it's empty and switches to the other tank. What I would do is swap tanks to see if that corrects the problem with that side. If the problem goes over to the other side with the same tank then you can just replace the tank. Good Luck
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
Bob,

That all makes sense. The weird thing is only one tank sweats. The other does not, even when being used.

I will try switching them and see if that helps.

And I checked the regulators. They are 30lb regulators.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
That's a good one! The only thing I can say is swap tanks and see if it still happens. If this is the original propane fill on a new unit then the tank may not have been properly purged of air on the initial fill and there is moisture and air in the tank. If that is the problem, swaping tanks should tell for sure.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
Tried swapping the tanks this trip and it's still switching over prior to the tank being empty. The factory thinks it's a regulator and so do I. Hopefully we will get this fixed ASAP.

Thank for all the suggestions.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Same tank, or same side? If it's the same tank, then I would say there is air in the tank and it's icing up inside the valve. If it's the same side, then it's probably the pigtail. Kind of doubt it's the red regulator, but I have been wrong before. (just ask my wife)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Had a similar problem, proved out to be the pigtail.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Dealer replaced ours when it was very new under warranty.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
Same side. I never considered the pigtail. Hmmmm. I may have them replace both as it's still under warranty. Thanks for all the help and advice!