Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Vicki,

Just the other day I was up there changing the bulb to LED, and started checking the screws for tightness....scary stuff, the glass globe was about to fall off, and the blades were all loose. Thanks for reminding everyone that these boxes-on-wheels are rattle traps that need diligent maintenance.

BTW, a wide rubber band around the base of the globe will allow you to screw the 3 screws into the globe more snugly.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Glad to hear that all is well in spite of flying blades. Good excuse to get a better fan if you ask me. I've been looking, but there is not a lot of choice in small fans, lots of choice in big ones. I would really prefer one with a lower "low speed" that was quieter. If you find anything interesting, I would be glad to hear of it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Checked mine tonight and lo and behold, a broken metal mount. Looks like a trip to Lowes/Home Depot tomorrow. Thanks again go to the MOC family for bringing this to our attention.

Phil
Lowes nor Home Depot had the right blade holders so we found a "Fan Shop" in Jacksonville that fixed us up with 4 new "Antique Brass" holders. HINT: The screws that held the old blades on the hangers would not fit the new holders. I had to return for new screws also, so if you replace the holders, I would suggest getting the screws the first time and maybe save a trip. Of course, if I had taken everything to the fan guy, it would have saved a trip also. Dan's Fans on Atlantic in Jacksonville.

BTW: He had a National cash register dating back to 1928, a real relic that still works. Strange but it will only ring up to $59.99. I guess things were a lot cheaper in 1928. He sent it back to National in 1988 and had it cleaned and oiled. They were happy to see it as they keep records on all the equipment they sell and were glad to see it still functioning.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We have found a screw out of one side of the blade holder several times. Now we just occassionally check to see that they are tight. Our globe fell off and broke into thousands of little pieces and I replaced it with a plastic one I found. Our new Montana has a glass globe, I wonder how long it will be before it falls and breaks?
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have had a replacement fan in Tana since she was about 12 months old. Purchased at Lowe's for $38. Have had the blades wobble, after many hours, Al tightened.

As far as the globes, ours has 3, they are now all attached with plumbers tape, take globes off, tape around the end of globe with tape, put back on and tighten down the screws.

We did the tape thingy on all globes in Tana (ours in the living room slide was found on the couch one day after a run, thus the taping began, that globe has not moved since).
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #26
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
When we got our 2006 2955, the fan was one of our problems. Turn it on slow and it was silent. Put it on high and it clattered and banged. In checking, I found that one of the bolts holding the one blade on was missing and the other bolt loose. I replaced the bolt and tightened the other one. If not, we would probably had your kind of problem. Good thing to check when going over a unit. Have a God Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #27
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like simonsrf's idea of a rubber band around on the globe where the screws meet. Somehow metal screws on a glass globe in a perpetual 5.0 Earthquake Trailer can't be good. I don't have a rubber band that big so I will slice up a piece of some "vent tape" (rubberlike adhesive) that I have lying around. I can cut it thin so it's not so noticeable and it is designed to adhere and retain it's adhesive-ness even near the heat of the lamp.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Art,

One of those blue rubber bands they put around broccoli to hold it together worked pretty well.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I think I'll go and place some Lock-Tight on my fan screws
Thanks for the info.!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I would bet that the fan was made in China somewhere near the Mission Tire factory. :-)
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 AM   #31
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good one Doug.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think you're right Doug and the warranty company for them is called Fanco!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wow thanks for the heads up. I will add this to my "dealer check it" list while its still getting a new roof.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Bummer, Sounds like it might have been damaged in some way. Did it ever hit a slide while it was retracted? I put a new capacitor in mine, but it sounds like enough is wrong with it that replacement is the way to go. Gad, I hate installing fans.
Stiles, did the capacitor fix a problem with LOW speed not working or something similar? I could do that if I knew where to get at it. If you think this would help our low speed problem, please email me.

Meanwhile, we did as someone else (forgot who) reported they did. We found the exact size (for 42" fan) brackets at Home Depot (Lowe's and Ace don't carry them). They were white but I found spray paint a very close match and painted them. The fan is now working. Except for low speed.

What worries me now is that if we accidently turn it to low instead of off, the fan gets hot and might be a fire hazard. For now we're being careful but we need to do some shopping for a new fan (or maybe replace a capacitor as Stiles did). There are 42 inch fans available but we have to make sure they hug the ceiling enough to avoid hitting the slides when retracted.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #35
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Thanks for the heads up, too. I inspected the blades and attachments and they're good...for now.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote