Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
High Country model question

Has anyone heard anything about the High Country models, such as:
-Are they made on the same production line as regular Montanas?
-How do they fit into the model line (high-end, low-end, etc)?
-Does the interior seem the same quality as other Montanas?
-Do they come with the same hitch, pin box, etc as others?
-Any reports from those with High Country models?
Thanks for any information, since we are considering these models.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can tell you they are not made on the same lins as the Montana, Mountaineer and big sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Having a 313RE and looking through numerous Montana's and Mountaineer's, I feel the High Country line falls between the two.

Here are some of the differences and similarities between the two.

I posted this back in March 2011, This is what is what I found to be similar and different between all three.

Post from March.......
Oh my word... after much research on my part... We just pulled the trigger on a 2011 313RE. So I will spew as much as my reasearch as I can. Here are most of the items that was important to us when we looked. We wound up buying a 313RE High Country.

Montana
1.) 1/2 shackles and wet bolts are now standard
2.) Hardwood stiles around the cabinets, not just the doors
3.) Fiberglass back cap with backup lights ( same in my HC as well) no rear bumper, but most do have a hitch. (HC's we looked at did not have hitches.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears
5.) Name brand electronics inside Samsung...ect..
6.) Usually a little heavier
7.) A little thicker Gelcoat on the sidewalls (outside) ( same in my HC as well)
8.) More insulation R-21 floor R-34 roof R-9 sidwalls
9.) Slam baggage doors with hydraulic piston assist.
10.) Electric front jacks all the rear jacks I saw on the Montanas were electric ( same for HC)

Mountaineer
1.) 1/4inch shackels and plastic inserts ( same in my HC as well)
2.) Hardwood doors on the cabinets, wood grain sticker material on the stiles. ( same in my HC as well)
3.) Standard backcap with integrated backup lights, They usually had a bumper as well, Spare mounted to the bumper.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears ( Towmasters on my HC )
5.) Electronics are Vizio(made in USA) ( same in my HC as well )
6.) Usually a little lighter not by much ( HC is lighter yet )
7.) I found that the gel coat outside walls is not quite as thick as the montana.. Could just be me tho. and the mountaineers I looked at.
8.) R-14 in floor and roof R-9 in sidewalls (Unfortunatly I dont know what the HC is.. if I had to guess Id say its the same.)
9.) Standard no slam baggage doors.
10.) Electric front jacks optional electric rear jacks ( some you would have to use a powerdrill or something).

The most important part is floorplan. You have to like what your living in. At least that was the most important to us. Im pretty mechanically inclined so Ill add the 1/2 shacles and wet bolts down the road. As well as a 5th airborne or Mor/ryde pinbox if needed.

I would also add a good TPMS system as well.

Hope this list helps.

Ren
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
From what I've read much of the difference is what you can't see, such as the way the interior walls, ceilings and floors are put together and what materials are used. Possibly even the subframe and wall framing. This is where much of the weight has been improved. I don't know much more than that about that.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
One of the most significant differences between the HC and Montana are the slide mechanisms. The HC uses an electric motor to move chains and cables to move the slides. The Montana uses hydraulics to move the slides, powered by an electric motor. This eliminates weight, unfortunately I am not sure how much. When looking in to the HC, this was the most significant differences.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hi,
We have a High Country 343RL and are very happy with it. The floor plan in similar to other models that are not HC. As nowinter stated, the big weight savings is int he slide mechanisms Interesting to note that we are starting to see the cable slides on other brands as well. The hot water hearer is a bit smaller (10 gallons v. 12). Not sure if this is only HC models, but the sofa comes with an air mattress as opposed to a hide-a-bed, which saves some weight as well.

To answer your specific questions:
-Are they made on the same production line as regular Montanas? Sorry, don't know.
-How do they fit into the model line (high-end, low-end, etc)? I personally think closer to Montana over Mountaineer, but that's juts MHO.
-Does the interior seem the same quality as other Montanas? Again, I think so. We've been in quite a few, and everything seems quite similar.
-Do they come with the same hitch, pin box, etc as others? Sorry, don't know, but I *think* so.
-Any reports from those with High Country models? See above.

Like I said, we're happy and love the less weight. The 10 gallon hot water heater is more than enough (and trust me, I take long, hot showers). The furniture is comfortable and we love the all-in-one bathroom.

subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
we to have a 2011 montana high country 323rl and have enjoyed it emmensly, i believe they are along the lines as the montana's very similar in everything, have ours since feb 2011 and put 2850 miles on it and have not had any major issues, i dont think montana would put its name on it if it was not from there montana line somewhere, jmho.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote