Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Apollo Oven

Well I guess I have been singing the praises of the Apollo Oven too long. We were having a door closing NOT tripping the microswitch problem. Called the folks at Apollo and since it was out of warranty, NO HELP!!! Took it to appliance shop and the fella bent the holding bracket out that holds the microswitches on, voila!!!! Did the trick, However, the door seal was broken in 2 places so one is on order now. Just another day in the life of an RVer. (Don't even suggest replacing this oven as DW absolutely loves it).

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
A little over two years ago I had the same dreaded switch problem and the door not opening problem as most others have experienced. I did get a replacement and repaired the oven. In the mean time I had bought another microwave to go into the Montana. Like you say the DW dearly loved it, especially its ability to cook biscuits and it has served inside the stick house since the repairs. Yesterday it quit doing anything, I suspect a bad control board. This morning it has taken its place on the road next to trash cans.

Adios Apollo!!!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My wife also loves hers. But I know it's just a matter of time...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Repeat after me, I will not let this thread jinx my Apollo, I will not let this thread jinx my Apollo, I will not.......
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There are other brands of microwave/convection ovens. Apollo does not have a patent on the technology, just the name, "1/2 time cooking." The Dometic used in my unit is also used in other SOB units that cost much more than my Montana. So if the spouse likes convection cooking, there are options available should the Apollo roll over and die.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had problems with our Apollo 1/2 time cooking oven as well. First the seal cracked in several places and then it became so noisy that it was offensive. Our Dealer and Apollo replaced the unit under warranty, no questions asked. Apparently we didn't own the original one long enough to have the micro switch problem. But... for Apollo to now claim that they are not going to repair your unit because it is out of warranty is really offensive when it has been a pervasive problem for many Montana owners. I think a few phone calls/letters to the right people at Montana/Apollo would cause a different end result.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I bought the unit knowing full well there was a one year warranty on the appliances. Two years later I don't think is the time to be trying to cause a different end result with Keystone. I was happy to have it fixed and DW is happy. Case closed, thanks for your interest and advice....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
We have had our 3400 only since last October and are on our third Apollo oven. 1st. one the door didn't latch properly and it came undone during travel throwing glass all over the trailer (I now pack the carousel in the drawer under the oven in it's original styrofoam). 2nd. one sounded like a Boeing jet when in operation, thought it was going to catch on fire. So now we're on number 3 and so far so good. I haven't even had time yet to know how wonderful it is. I could have benefited from the cooking school @ the fall rally. Oh well!
Paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I will not let this thread jinx my Apollo, I will not let this thread jinx my Apollo, I will not.......

We have had ours since last July. Not full timers, but have been in it 38 days so far. Ours has worked perfectly so far. (knock on wood) We have used it mostly for the microwave function, but have baked in it also. Not sure we have used the combo function yet.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We're on our 2nd "which-a-mbob" oven. I called them and they wanted me to do stuff to fix it. I then called my dealer and was told, just bring it in and we'll take care of it. Dealer replaced right away. Unit was purchased last October.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
DW loves our Half time Appolo, and although there are other combination MW - Convection ovens, we have not found one that works together like the Apollo does. Just today she was musing about getting one for the house. If anyone knows of one that works the way the Appolo does, I would like to hear of it. In the mean time we must not jinx our Appolo, (almost four years old and still going).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a Whirlpool Gold convection/microwave at home that you can use the microwave alone, convection alone, or both at the same time, which I believe is exactly the same as the Appolo 1/2 time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We love ours, wish I had one in the house, (instead of the crappy one we bought at Sears...)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After the door problem and the seal problem and then a complete replacement, all within the warranty period we have had over 1 year of trouble free Apollo cooking and we use it a lot. Helen even uses it when at the house as she likes it better than anything else we have.However every time we push the button we wonder if it will work. We have a crappy made in Korea Micro oven that has been working fine sine 1998 in the house.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
The 3rd day into our 2 month trip, the power button pad stopped working. The microwave still works, you just cannot set the power at any level except high unless you use a pre-programed button. The unit is 13 months olds. DW loved the unit. Will need to see what happens when we get back to the stick house.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ont Mont - When I was looking for a replacement convention/micro - all that I looked at worked like the Apollo, including Sharp, Kenmoore, and Samsung I believe. The only thing that held me back was the lack of forced ventilation in the smaller 23" units. They are mostly countertop type and require 2" clearance all around to function. I just couldn't get there with the brands I saw.

Today, I believe there are more options, as I see multiple brand microwave convenctions installed in the RVs, including Montana, and none are Apollo.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote