Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Roof Cleaning Brush and dilution?

I'm taking delivery soon on a used 2005 Montana.
I inspected the roof. Wasn't too bad, but eventually needs to be cleaned.

Given the considerable square footage, would a softer bristle shop/floor broom (at least 24" wide) be reasonable to use?

Or a regular cleaning brush on a pole?

Regarding Dawn or Awesome - what concentration is reasonable? One bottle per gallon or two gallon bucket of water?

Mop or spray it on and then "scrub" with broom?

Some 'procedure' advice beyond "my favorite product" is appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Chas,
Dicor recommends a semi stiff brush,whatever that means. A soft brush won't break all that stuff loose. I don't think you would need a whole bottle of soap, just enough to make some good suds. I rinse the roof with the hose to get all the loose dirt off and since it use a smaller brush, dip it in the bucket you could just pour a little out at a time. Be careful up there it may get slippery. Be sure to rinse that strong solution off your side walls and it may strip the wax off wherever it runs down.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My old unit had "freckles all over the top due to mildew staining. They never came off completely. Awesome was the best cleanser I was able to find. I used a 50% solution, very strong. My protocol was to treat small sections, say 4'X 4' or 6'X 6'. Clean it thoroughly (sometimes down on the roof with a cleaning cloth) and then rinse thoroughly and move on to the next section. It takes a little longer. The trick is to not let it get in that shape again. Wash more often.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote