Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pressure reducing valve

Does anyone have any information on an adjustable in line, maybe Watts brand pressure regulator for the water.
40-50# just doesn't cut it for the Ozzman. What is the maximum pressure Keystone wants for the water lines, not what someone tells us, but from the horses mouth?
Thanks. Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If you look at the piping ,it's rated for 160 psi. 40-50psi should not hurt the pipes. My Smart Sensor is rated for 65psi.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I bought mine from this guy. He ships fast and the regulator I use works great. I bought the model number 263A.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...m#PressureInfo
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I bought an adjustable one with a gage at Camping World, got it set at 60psi.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=7050&src=SRQB
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool!!!
You guys are the bestest!!
Just the ticket, I like the gage model with adjustment, hope it's not too late to ask Santa for it!
Thanks, Ozz
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ozz, I used to have the one from CW and it was a good one but I finally wore it out. I now have one from Lowe's so that's another option. You'll need the adapters to fit the hose fittings if you go with Lowe's. Mine is set to about 50 psi.

With the CW regulator I found I could go as high as 57 psi. After that it would blow water out of the toilet (use that for your guideline!). But with the new SeaLand toilet maybe you can go higher.

One reason I don't want to go too high with the pressure is it is that much easier to run out of hot water during a shower...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve, with your new baby, it should give you plenty of hot water.
I keep trying to get Sue in there with me to save water, but I must have tried that before, doesn't work anymore.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Does anyone have any information on an adjustable in line, maybe Watts brand pressure regulator for the water.
40-50# just doesn't cut it for the Ozzman. What is the maximum pressure Keystone wants for the water lines, not what someone tells us, but from the horses mouth?
Thanks. Ozz
Ozz,
The guy at the water filter store that Rich provided the website URL for is really up on RV water plumbing and filters. I purchased a good adjustable regulator (with an analog gauge) from him a couple years ago and set it for 80 psi and when I get someplace where the pressure is that high or higher I have welcome pressure in the rig.

It used to be that we were told by RV dealers that our plumbing would only be good up to about 40 psi. But that was so that there wouldn't have to be any warranty work. In reality now, the plumbing is tested at between 120-140 psi. That way the companies know that if the plumbing will hold at that pressure, then it will surely hold at 40 psi. Incidentally, if you go into any Camping World store or RV flea market vendor's shop (like in Quartzite) you can find 40 psi regulators by the gross. People just aren't buying them any more. A lot of people I know are going to the adjustable ones.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Orv. I knew that the manufacturers had to make the units able to withstand average campground pressures, or they would be swamped, (pardon the pun) with warranty work. The 45# regulators are a joke. With any filters in the line, you get sub standard flow.
I built my home, and have 100# pressure in all lines, I have had no solenoid failures, no problems whatsoever, that was 27 years ago. I ran a 1 1/8" OD supply line and 7/8" OD lines to the outside faucets. Plenty of flow as well.
I'm not equating homes with RV's, just the pressure regulating issue in general.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That brings up another point Ozz...by the time you get filters added along with pressure regulators, you really have to watch the flow.
I haven't gotten one of these adjustable models yet, but they do look very appealing.
What I've read so far indicates they don't have a very long life, it could be the owners, I don't know.

I'd like to hear what people are running for regulators and filters, if they're happy with the flow rates, and if they consume the water.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As for life of the adjustable regulator, the problem I've had is them getting clogged with lime or whatever minerals are in the water. I'd then have to disassemble the regulator, clean it out, and put it back together. The one I had from CW withstood probably four cleanings in three years. I'm not sure if I screwed it up putting it back together the last time or if it just wore out but it would no longer adjust the pressure so I ditched it and bought one from Lowe's. It will likely have a similar life, though, but it sure is nice while it's working fine. Mine is currently heat taped and wrapped in insulation and duct tape. It withstood temperatures down to 8 degrees F this winter and is still working but probably only because of the heat tape.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

As for life of the adjustable regulator, the problem I've had is them getting clogged with lime or whatever minerals are in the water. I'd then have to disassemble the regulator, clean it out, and put it back together. The one I had from CW withstood probably four cleanings in three years. I'm not sure if I screwed it up putting it back together the last time or if it just wore out but it would no longer adjust the pressure so I ditched it and bought one from Lowe's.
Steve,
I have never had to clean my regulator. I'm wondering if my double pre-filtering helps prevent the clogging of the regulator. It's possible, I suppose.

Orv
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Orv--Where do you put your pressure regulator--at the CG water connection or somewhere downstream of your filters? If the filters are keeping your regulator from getting clogged, I assume it must be downstream of the filters.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Having one of these units last three years or so by you fulltimers is certainly getting your moneys worth. Thanks for your replies Steve and Orv.

I have yet to be at a campground where the pressure has been too high, usually it's the other way around.
It does make sense to not limit the pressure until it's gone through the filters. And after seeing the reduced flow coming out of those filters I have tried a couple different high flow filters to see if they can do the job. Mixed results I guess, everything has a cost.

I'm sure we all try different things looking for the perfect setup.
Right now we're leaning towards a good sediment filter and giving up on carbon filters altogether for drinking water because of the overall flow rate and uncertainty of how healthy these filters are unless used fulltime.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's my set up..

everything is available at Lowes or Home Depot
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 AM   #16
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
As I mentioned before, I have the Watts model 263A adjustable. I used to have a problem with pressure creeping up on me causing me to disassemble and clean far too often. I finally got smart and put my filter ahead of the regulator. I haven't needed to disassemble it since. I set mine at 50 lbs. I've hooked my water system in this order:

1. CG spigot
2. High pressure braided washing machine hose to withstand pre-regulated pressure.
3. Omniflow water filter.
4. Watts 263A adjustable regulator set at 50 lbs.
5. 10 ft. lengths of basic white drinking water hose from Wal Mart.
6. On-the-Go portable water softener.
7. 10 ft. length of drinking water hose.
8. 2006 Montana 3650RK.

Needless to say, the most expensive portion of my water system is part #8.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Now there is a pressure setup that has what I would want...

The monitor for available pressure and the split for another hose is a nice touch. I may have to make a trip to the local Home Depot.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #18
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
...doing a little research of the subject today and came across this site...

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm

Some pretty good explanations of pressure, flow rates, and such.
Also links to some of the products discussed in this thread.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

...doing a little research of the subject today and came across this site...

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm

Some pretty good explanations of pressure, flow rates, and such.
Also links to some of the products discussed in this thread.
Ozz,
As I've said before, this guy is good. I've been in some of his seminars at various activities. With the Escapees, he's not allowed to sell during his seminars but he sure makes you understand water and the various types of impurities in the water, and how to get rid of them. If you get a chance sometime when you're around where he might be, talk to him. He's very knowledgeable. BTW, you ought to see the rig he has!

Orv
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Well...it's time to redo the regulation and filter setup we presently have. I ran up to Home Depot in search of the parts I would need.
They didn't have a pressure regulator, so I opted for a gate valve.
Hope I didn't screw up - I've seen these for sale before so I figured I'd try it out. I know - they didn't have all the adapters to make it work either...I'm impatient and don't want to chase around. At least it's all brass & bronze - no galvanised.

I was thinking of getting this filter set as well (2 RV-SED1 and
1 CBC-KDF filter cartridges), mounting my pressure system on top of it, then hang in under my slide.

I'm gonna really have to protect those gauges from damage...they sure aren't bulletproof.