Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dissappearing Water

OK - Steve Sreigle had a post a while ago about water mysteriously dissappearing from his fresh water tank on his 3400. I think the only conclusion in the thread was that this kind of stuff happens to us as we get older especially with a historical abuse of recreational drugs, too much time in the Presidency, or excessive blows to the head from the Bedroom slide.

I just went for 9 days on the road using campground water at everystop. However, I did have a full fresh water tank when I left. On the last day, went to drain the tank and it had about 2 gallons in it. ??? No leaks, no inadvertant running of the pump. Could it have be siphoned through the check valve? Any conclusions Steve?

Not a big deal, but wierd.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ponderous, ponderous.......
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds like a really profound situation, perhaps it is related to evaporation with an underlying cause emanating from excessive amounts of hot air arising from the comfort of a recliner that is positioned above the fresh water tank???? NAHHHHHHH, has to be the check valve. Kidding Brad, please forgive me but I haven't had any chances lately to introduce levity or veiled sarcasm into a thread. Got to admit that it is fun though.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm wondering how it can be the check valve. There is a check valve on the city water input to prevent the pump from pushing fresh water out the city water input. And there is a check valve in the pump to prevent city water from going into the fresh water tank. This is true if your setup is like mine. The city water input line is fed through a Tee on the output of the pump so that water can be fed to the rig either way, city water or fresh water.

It could be that the check valve in the pump is bad. We had one that was bad so that the city water kept the fresh water tank over full which is what you don't want, especially if you're in some city water that you don't like! We had to replace the pump head and in the meantime I installed one of those 5.7 Extreme Sensor pumps. No problem now.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - Might be right about the recliner Bingo!

Orv - thats all I can think of is the water gets drawn in through the check valve as the city water flows causing a suction. hmmmm
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Brad, as one who has suffered "excessive blows to the head" from the bedroom slide, I assume it is only a matter of time before I have this problem with the fresh water tank. Hope you and Steve get this resolved before it happens to me. LOL!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After much thought on the missing water problem I have come to the following conclusion...You have a leak...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Richfaa has provided us with even more profound discernment, this forum is great!!!!!!!!!!(ROTFL)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad, I would put my money on what Orv has stated. If the pump head has a flaw it would allow for a sucking action from the fresh water tank when you are running the city water. It would work just like the adapter that I use at home to empty the fish tank. You connect the water hose up to in, then place the adapter hose in the tank. Then when you turn on the water, the flow through the water hose will suck all of the water out of the fish tank.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis - it was that very fish tank adapter (I also have one) that made me think of what Orv discussed . I suppose the principle is the same. It's truly not a leak, or I would see something on the ground when parked, and it was bone dry the whole trip.

Quite a strange concept, but if it means I need to check the tank fill every once in a while at the compground, so be it. It may not be worth too much investigation. The trip was otherwise flawless in the new Monty - again. The wife looked at me when we pulled up to the house and said - WOW-nothing broke!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad that is great that you had no problems with your new unit. My wife said the other day that our unit must have been built on Wednesday. We have put over 5K on our new unit this year and not one problem other than the air flow to the generator.

Richfaa, yours must have been built on Friday.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I believe I have discovered the problem I believe I can say unequivocally that water is escaping from your tank. I say that with absolutely no reservations.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Maybe as you get older, the campground supply can't keep up with your trips to the bathroom at night and the trailer is secretly using the on board supply!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When we first got our Montana I discovered that is was damp around the drain hose for the fresh water tank.I removed the foam insulation and found the hose clamp that holds the hose to the tank was loose very loose
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote