Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
2015 3791RD Falling Apart!

I have to admit....I've been thankful over the years that with the pop-up and 2 travel trailers and the Montana (until this year) that we've not had any major issues with our rigs. We've got our hands full now.

Our rig is literally falling apart. Pics speak a thousand words.

First symptom was that the driver's side kitchen slide had issues. Apparently the welds holding the bracket that allows the slide to run in/out failed. Thought....easy fix.....just get the welds redone. To their credit, the local Keystone dealer asked: "Why did the welds fail?" They discovered that the internal trussess that run from side to side failed. They are twisted and falling apart!!! The structural stability of the RV is in shambles. The rig must be twisting and torqueing as we're taking every bump, driveway, etc.

While likely easier to fix, the rear driver's side skirt was slipping off. Apparently this is a common occurance.....for these not to be attached properly. I returned our rig to our storage lot (skirt slipping off but still attached) only to discover a week or so later, the skirt literally fell off the rig. What would have happened if this fell off while we were going 60/65 on an interstate? I'm thankful it didn't happen while driving.

Check out the pics.

Have opened a case with Keystone/Team Montana. It's been a lengthy process...getting pics....getting more pics, etc. Trying to be patient and "trust the process".

Lippert really should step up and fix this. I've tried 4 Keystone dealers and none will venture to repair this. Either they are not equipped to do structural welding, don't have the space/capacity for this level of repair and/or won't touch it due to the liability risk. This has to be done right. The structure needs to be solid and square. I can see a welder trying to fix then I have abnormal tire wear from that point forward.

Turns out the slide issue is a symptom....not the root cause.

Hoping Keystone/Montana does the right thing and steps up to resolve this issue fairly and correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Issue 1  Broken Weld 1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	608

Name:	Issue 1 Broken Weld Pic 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	609

Name:	Issue 2 Closeup Pass Side Bar in Front of Axle.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	610

Name:	Issue 2 Driver Side slide bar is for rear of kitchen under fridge.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	616

Name:	Issue 2 Truss Issue 1.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	617

Name:	Issue 2 Driver Side Bars Behind Axles.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	618

Name:	Issue 2 Closeup Pass Side 1st bar behind axle weld points to left.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	611

Name:	Issue 2 First Bar behind Axles PASS SIDE.JPG
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	612

Name:	Issue 3 Skirt Noticed by IVCC.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	613

Name:	Issue 3 Skirt Noticed byIVCC 2.JPG
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	614

Name:	Todays Pics Skirt 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	615

Name:	Issue 3 Skirt Falling Away 2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	619

Name:	Issue 3 Skirt Falling Away.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	620

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
At first glance it looks like your frame has a fair amount of corrosion. Was it used or stored near the beach? My guess is you are going to have an uphill battle with Keystone. If you hit any large potholes or curbs you may do better with your insurance company. I saw a similar frame on a SOB in for repair where they made the decision to total it. It had been stored at the beach.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Not used at the beach other than one weekend at the NJ shore and a week in each of 2016 and 2017 in St Pete, FL for spring training. Live 2 hrs from the shore in SE PA.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
That's a shame, corroded weld can also be from to much heat when welding. It fatigues the steel and makes it Brittle causing it o break. Hope this gets worked out, don't give up.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I don’t see excessive corrosion and what I do see is the result of the broken member exposing unpainted metal to the elements.

I have been lucky with the structure after making the three repairs needed to correct the incorrect engineering on our frame we now have just made 100,000 miles and I am impressed with how the house is holding up.

Remember the frame is welded by a machine with only one operator if that operator is not trained properly or just plain lazy all welds will be of poor quality.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
It almost looks like the unit was in an accident with frame damage and just cosmetically repaired. or someone decided to take it off road at some point before you got it. is all the damage in the same area?
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I really cant tell much from the pics. I can give you my story. I bought a 2011 3455sa 2 years ago. The inside was in pristine shape. It had been given many upgrades by the previous owners such as kodiac disc brakes/ level up/ built in power protection/ led lighting etc. The major issue with the unit was the fact that the frame was VERY rusty from front to back. I removed the coroplast undercover and rust reformed/undercoated the entire frame.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote