Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If one does the homework before the purchase on any brand you will understand that you most likely have some problems. The Keystone line and the Montana is no better no worse than any in the price range. This 3402 is our 6th Rv going back to 1985 all different brands and we have had minor, minimal and severe problem on all of them. yes we had more problems with our Montana,s than other brands but we have used the Montana far more than the others.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #62
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
We love our 2013 3750FL. Problems? Of course. Major problems? Just the tire issue. But overall, the unit is an excellent floor plan, works well for our family and we are pleased. Remember, as other's have posted, a Fifth Wheel is a conglomeration of many different parts made by different manufacturer's. I think ours came with 30-40 different manuals in the Dealer Manual. From the Refrigerator to the Solar Power to the exhaust fans, each one came from a different company. Would I buy another Montana? Absolutely. Would I use the same dealer? NO! Currently, they are 3 months out on repairs, just too small of a service center for the volume of sales. So, do your research, and I think you will find the Montana towards the tops in fewest customer complaints.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:43 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The more we use them the more we live in them the more miles we put on them the more problems we have. Some of us have used them in that manner with few if any problems to report others like myself can not say the same. I can not explain that and it is no different with any other brand.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #64
dbentzinger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6988
On our 3rd Montana, a 2004, 2008, and now a 2013. Only minor thing with each of them. We wouldn't have any other brand. Between the 3 Montanas we have logged over 100,000 miles.
dbentzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #65
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On our fourth montana, initially disappointed with a myriad of minor issues occurring that were not experienced with our previous three. However after getting everything squared away, very happy with the unit. Keystone customer service however is not what it used to be. Even our dealer, from whom we have bought three units feels like they often get the runaround and slow response on warranty approvals and parts.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #66
15 15
Established Member

M.O.C. #17186
If you think montanas have problems, you should visit the Forest River foruss.
15 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #67
Littledebb

M.O.C. #17794
We are going to buy our third Montana this week from an out-of-town store. Can we have warranty service at our local Keystone Service center?
Littledebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #68
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
1st time Montana owner. 2014 HC. So far so good. Minor repair on a wood panel where the staples came out. Use 3-4 weeks a year and will be staying longer in the future. To soon and I hope a long time before I need to buy another.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #69
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We had Cougars for a large number of years, 2.5yrs ago we bought a Crossroads Cruiser based on their Forum info and in speaking with several forum members. We were deciding between a Montana and the Cruiser and went with the Cruiser due to forum recommendations and the 2 and 5 warranty. Long story short we had many many problems, the 2 and 5 warranty turned out to be a bogus bunch of crap and our local dealer dropped Crossroads and has apologized ever since. When I told him I was buying a new unit this time but wasn't interested in the Forest River stuff he had on his site he said buy a Montana that is my recommendation. We did buy the 3790 a month or two ago and after a couple little issues we are luvin the trailer and after a month or so of steady use wouldn't change a thing... glad to be back in a Keystone product !
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #70
Jdupler

M.O.C. #16026
Just finished a week in our 2014 3625RE. No major issues with the Monty. Everything worked as advertised. As other have said, minor glitches here and there, but overall very happy. Quite a difference from our last fifth wheel
Jdupler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #71
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Like many have said before, a big part of the equation is the dealership. I had a 2003 and 2009 Montana and was generally happy with both rigs, though the latter had a lot of issues initially and then tank leaks at the 5 year point, plus both looked like FEMA trailers due to peeling stickers - an issue Keystone refused to fix properly. When it came time to get a new one this year we looked at every 5th wheel brand out there. It came down to almost a toss up between the Big Sky and the SOB I now own. The deciding factors were the number of tank leaks I was hearing about on the Big Sky, the fit and finish in the SOB was definitely better (no misaligned trim cabinet doors, etc, and the fact that the SOB has a very active manufacturer presence on its owners forum and Keystones lack of response to several major issues with their rigs. But it was still a close call and we really wanted to stay with the Montana family. However, we rolled the dice and went with the SOB.

Since delivery in early March, the rig has been in the shop 2 months and one more repair trip is scheduled in the fall. Of course, fate dictated that on the first trip we had galley water leaking out the bottom. It took two trips to the dealer to find the leak and fix it (fittings, not the tank thankfully). On the 4th trip out, the fridge stopped working on electric, so we swung by the dealer on the way home to have an (allegedly) Norcold certified tech check it out. He assured me that it was working fine and gave me the spiel on how it was summer and hot and humid, blah, blah even though I have been RVing for 25 years and never had a fridge act like this. So a week later we go to turn on the fridge to prep for our next trip and it won't cool on LP or AC. I got a mobile tech to look at it during the trip and it was a leaking cooling unit. So the brand new Norcold 1210 gets a new cooling unit under warranty thankfully. Anyway, most of the other issues have been small, but each time I take it to the dealer, they either don't fix it right, or they completely misdiagnose it and I have to go back. I had to write a very direct letter to the dealership outlining all of the problems I've had getting minor issue corrected. No one checks the work of the techs even though each time I pick it up, it has a QC sticker on the door with a big "check" on it. On one pick up, I opened the basement where they had worked on a small pex leak and the basement walls were still laying on the floor and there was a puddle of water under the pex. Yet it had been QC'd as ready for pick up! I also pointed out (on each trip back) what appears to be a small hydraulic leak on one of the levelers. Each time I am told it's OK. I asked the mobile tech and he said it was absolutely a seal leak.

I could go one and on. And by the way this is a VERY large mid-Atlantic dealer who also sells Montanas, so buyer beware! Bottom line - I really like this rig a lot but expected a few issues. It is the inability of the dealer to address these issues that is making my life miserable. And while I would definitely buy this brand (or a Montana) again, I will choose the dealer much more carefully. Lesson learned (again)!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #72
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like I say over and over again the brands are more alike than different, Touring any plant in the Elkhart area and you will see the same vendors same workforce same assembly line methods. No dealers in general like to do warranty work because they are paid at a lower rate by the manufacturer. Take it back non warranty and they will be glad to work on it. Both our Montana's had many issues so why did we buy a second one. Like I have also said over and over again IF I thought there was a better one in the price range we would have it.

After 3 years with this 2013 3402 Big Sky and nearly 6K in repairs nearly all directly related to poor workmanship and quality control we may finally have a reliable RV. Fortunately we also have Extended service contracts which paid for 90% of the repairs.

We have a great dealer in Town and Co
Country RV in Clyde , Ohio and we have had repairs done at dealers over the country with no problems one was a keystone dealer but not a Montana dealer.(Quartzsite)

We are high end users our Montana do many, many miles and we live in it 6 to 9 months of the year.

Keystone has a good track record with us in addressing and correcting problems.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #73
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I started this topic last Feb when we were in Az.,and looking at new trailers there(Rv traders).We have been home for months now and spent thousands on a home kitchen complete reno.I think that IWould prefer to buy used as all the major problems should be in the past and of course save enough loot to pay for our kitchen. From what has been said I think we'll be looking for our favorite model MONTANA again,a 2014 or 2015.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you buy a Used Montana you can call Keystone customer service with the VIN and they can tell you what dealer repairs have been made on the RV. Maybe.... Buying a used unit you never really know what or how severe the problems were.

I always purchase a good extended service plan with our new RV's then hope for the best but are prepared for the worst.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #75
Dando

M.O.C. #17821
We have had 5 previous 5th wheels.. Prowler, aljo, k-z new vision ultra. Really no problems. We just bought our Montana 3610 rl legacy. They thetford toilet does not hold water.. Took it to dealer, still don't hold water. Water heater was not connected for electric from factory, . Black water handle is still a bear. Led light inside , one section burnt out. Awning coming undone at coach. Refrigerator was dented. Front of cap all chipped up from delivery. The dealer fixed the door on the fridge, fixed the water heater. But putting silicone on the thetford is NOT a fix! I want this taken out and a domestic put in. Yes, there are things to work out. But the water heater not connected? Who is doing qc at he factory? First post gang... Thanks
Dando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #76
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206

2007 Montana parked across the street form us 9/5/2015

Our 2009 Montana 9/5/2015

And this is only what you can see from the outside.

The owner of the 2007 had no problems with the unit that he can remember since purchasing it.

Now is there any further question about the quality of the Montana line?

I think not.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #77
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Ricjfaa

You are very correct. Go look at the production line of the RV’s built in other states and you will see a proper production line with QC and a production manual that is available to the work force.

Now watch the forums and you will see these companies may have some problems but they first take proper steps to correct same then take steps to correct the production error if there is one.

I even saw one post a fellow put up when he had purchased a unit that was 10 years old and wanted to remodel the interior. The post was addressed to anyone on the forum that had information about the structure, plumbing and wiring of the unit.

There were 3 posts advising him to contact the manufacturer. The forth post was from the OP and he stated that the manufacturer had contacted him and provided all of the information including some prints to help him with the job.

The post then goes on for nearly a year with picture from the OP showing his progress.

Now try to get help like that from Keystone.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #78
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I Agree Phil when you talk about other States
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #79
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
I have only purchased two Montanas, one used and one new. Some of the issues with the new one were due to poor workmanship by Keystone (clothes rod completely pulled out of ceiling and staples raising up on roof). Other issues have to do with vendors that Keystone buys from (Norcold frig not working properly, furnace malfunctioning).

With over 9,000 members on this forum, which is a small percent of actual Montana owners, and the number of issues reported here? That leads me to believe that Keystone Montana is probably one of the most reliable, best "bang for the buck" fivers out there.

The only thing I would do different if I was purchasing a new Montana would be I would buy it from a local dealer that I knew would be good at providing service. As full timers we purchased from a large Florida dealer due to a really good price. They may have had a cheaper price but their large service department turned out to be HORRIBLE! Keystone doesn't have any control over dealers, so they are not much help either. So in our case, after a long frustrating year of watching our factory warranty expire and not getting things fixed that should have been, now we are thankful that we have a good extended warranty to finally get some of our issues properly addressed.

IMHO, in summary, an extremely well built product (by average RV standards) by a company that provides very poor customer service and does not readily honor their warranty.
I just bought a 2019 3931fb and the skirt came apart on the interstate and the furnace is drawing 15.5 amps on a 15 amp circuit and CW biloxi can’t figure it out. There is a large list of other problems. It has been in service more than my house. Frustrated with all the problems.
Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #80
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Normal Norm,
I might be able to help. I've sent you a private message. Please respond.