Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Graphics ......... again

I am one of the lucky ones. After 7+ years the graphics on both sides still look very good. But the front and rear graphics began to peel last year and much more so this year. So after a call to Keystone, I now have new graphics for the front and rear (yes, they are still available).

So now a new project to tackle. First to decide on removal, heat gun and scraper, eraser wheel, or wallpaper steamer. I like the wallpaper steamer idea as it seems to basically melt the graphics off in large sections, but have not heard too many reports of those who have done it. Second choice I think would be the eraser wheel.

But putting the new graphics on seems more daunting than taking them off. I have read most all previous posts over the years about the process, but any hints, suggestions, comments are welcome.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Take it to your local dealer or RV repair since they are set up better to have scaffolding to reach the front cap. I bought some new graphic for my previous trailer and they charged be about $25 to put on new ones after I had cleaned and prepped the front.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill, the way I did it was to tape the entire decal (wax paper and all) into place with a bunch of masking tape to get the alignment right before doing the decal application. I did the installation dry, but a wet installation will let you do some alignment during the installation process. I would then loosen one half of the decal to be applied and cut the wax paper beneath the decal to start the application from the middle to the end. I then would repeat the application process on the other half. May not be the way others have done it, but it worked well for me. Hardest part is trying to keep the decal in the same previous spot so that there are no shiny places on the cap showing where the previous decal was. I also used a pencil to outline parts of the old decal prior to removal, but found that it was not needed since it will be very evident where the placement of the new one will be. Ours was a 2007 also that I replaced the front cap decals on.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The only advise I will offer on applying new decals/graphics is the wet method allows you to move it around and get 99% of the bubbles out. As large as some of these decals are you had better be pretty good to apply them dry or you will be asking Keystone for another set.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Keystone gave us a almost complete set last rally. I decided to low it off and just trim the curling ones off as they curl and remove the adhesive as it is exposed. When they are gone that is the way it will stay.. When folks ask why the graphics are ratty looking I will tell them..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I tried the trimming method last year and again in the spring. Did not seem to even slow down the peeling.

My primary reason for replacing the graphics is to optimize the value. We are considering a new Montana and, of course, would like to get as much as possible for the current one.

I may contact a couple of local Montana dealers and see what their price would be.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Keystone gave us a almost complete set last rally. I decided to low it off and just trim the curling ones off as they curl and remove the adhesive as it is exposed. When they are gone that is the way it will stay.. When folks ask why the graphics are ratty looking I will tell them..
I'm doing the same as exnavydiver, and I tell all who ask how crappy the decals are from keystone. or thore.
almost all gone now.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
It's not only Keystone who had problems with graphics, our Sunnybrook also peeled but our friends 1998 SB still looks great. I have seen many other brands peeling. You notice Keystone more because there are more of them on the road. At least, I understand Keystone has provided new graphics free of charge. SB certainly didn't. I'm just hoping the problem is solved and our Montana is peel free.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We just returned from a 1500+ mile trip. I made a point of looking at graphics on RVs of all types. Graphic issues are certainly not limited to Montana or Keystone or even 5ers. Many many different brands had faded, peeling, and/or missing grahics. Lost count of the number of naked front 5ers I saw.