Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Pomona RV Show Montana Models etc.

Just got home from a very warm 100 Degree day at the Pomona RV Show.

Finally got to see some of the new models and get a refresher on the older. The three that stuck in my head:

The 3950BR is really a neat design. Though I don't need the "loft" it could be usable. Great "craft room" as my wife called it, but it didn't have an AC duct.. Very warm in there. Could be a very usable floor plan for us but not enough to walk away from our 3400.

The 3820FK with the front window and big full width booth up front was really cool. If we were cooking people I'd be moving my stuff into one. But, we are not so the huge kitchen simply took too much usable space from the other living areas.

The 3790RD is still the DWs favorite but they killed it for her with the "leather" furniture and its stitching (btw, thank you Keystone!). I see overloading potential but the extra storage would be nice. Not the fan of the AC right in front of the TV and the potential for too much noise when just trying to kick back. Still not enough "like" to walk away from the 3400.

As for the SOB 5th wheels only two caught our eye. One, waaaay out of our price range i'm sure we can all guess which one that is. Hint they are not a full custom build but a mass produced $$$ product. The other is a direct competitor of the Montana line. Keystone would have a hard time keeping me a loyal customer if I were truly in the market. Other than those two, absolutely nothing caught my eye.

We spent a lot of time looking at options to replace our Truck Camper. As much as I love my little 5000lb camper I'm starting to think about a small bumper pull or "tiny" 5er for our weekender (we fulltime in the 3400 which is way to big for some of our favorite getaways). Pulling the tool box and hitch out to open the bed for the camper is a bit off putting anymore. Problem is, I love my camper, hate bumper pulls and I'm too tall for the mid profile < 26ft 5th wheel I saw. So, the check book stayed in the pocket where it belongs.

We'll go back next weekend when it's not so hot and wander around looking at everything we missed. It was just way too hot.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We are going Tuesday,
Are there a lot of vendors in the tent area, or is it mostly membership vendors. also where were most of the Montana's at, Mike Thompson or did Keystone have a area of there own.
Thanks ahead.
Don
Old 10-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
The big tent was hotter than outside w/o the breeze so we didn't spent much time in there. The only company I really noticed and talked before we ran out was MCD.

Mike Thompson was hosting the Montana product line. They brought 8 or 10 units give or take. No Big Sky's just Montanas and High Countries.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Just came back from this show. Went with BIL and our wives... we started on the wrong side therefore never got to Montana layout... LOL, but we did cover about 2/3 of the show. However, after four hours in the heat (tent had fans, but just blew around the hot air) we left. Mostly all the same stuff, except we liked the fivers that had a front master bedroom/bathroom over the front cap, dining/kitchen/living room in the middle, and the rear contained a bunkroom with half bath and a rear exit. Cool, but not sure how I like that the kiddies can close off and exit out the rear, but for older guests, it was nice.

Another cool layout was a large fiver that had an outside platform that folded down to reveal a patio with chairs and a television to take the party outside, accessible from the interior via double sliding doors. But probably not good if the weather is too hot even with the awning over it.

All in all, nice new layouts and features bur too heavy for my current TV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
we went today and looked at the new Keystone products along with the Montana's. the new 3820FK is a fair looking RV the front kitchen area is different if your used to seeing a front room or a bedroom up there and now a kitchen. hummm. we didn't see a oven just a stove the micro wave is suppose to do that I guess, if you like Micro wave cooked food, it weighs 13045 I don't know if that is GVW loaded. pin weight is 2845 lb. 40.5 long 13.5 high. 66 gal F water, 52 dark and 92 gray and 60 lb LPG it has 2 hide a beds, and a queen bed, 5 slides, middle and rear entry doors. the wood finish's are dark whick make the interior dark, new frameless windows, and yes they are still using the Day night shades when a lot of the other manufactures are switching to something else.
I still like my 2980RL it has served us well all these years and still in good working order.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
New here. I went to the show. Online, I was sold on the Open Range 3X, When I saw it, I changed my mind. I had a few others on my see list, (Jayco, Winnebago, and others). When I got to the Montana 3820 we did not get passed it! ORDERED ONE! First fifth wheel and going full time sometime soon after we take delivery. I will be asking loads of questions soon. I was completely disappointed with the exhibits in the tent. Can't wait to get my new home!
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cholo

New here. I went to the show. Online, I was sold on the Open Range 3X, When I saw it, I changed my mind. I had a few others on my see list, (Jayco, Winnebago, and others). When I got to the Montana 3820 we did not get passed it! ORDERED ONE! First fifth wheel and going full time sometime soon after we take delivery. I will be asking loads of questions soon. I was completely disappointed with the exhibits in the tent. Can't wait to get my new home!
Well good luck with your new 3820 FK a really nice floor plan, were you able to order with a oven?
I agree on the tent was anemic for vendors, nothing like the Quartzsite in January RV Show and tent, we will be there again this next one.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
It comes standard with an oven. You can see it in the pictures on the website.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What do you mean by "It comes standard with an oven"? Don't all RVs come with some kind of oven? A microwave, convection or a toaster oven may be optional but I think a propane oven is pretty standard, so I'm curious what you meant?

One thing I saw with many manufacturers of fifth wheels or Class As is that they are now coming with conventional 110v fridge/freezers and then will install an inverter to power it when you are boondocking and only have 12v (beware the power drain). Now THAT is nice, better than my dinky 12v/propane/110v RV fridge/freezer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
At first I thought the FK would be cool till I saw pics of it on the Montana web site ,My wife and me love too cook that's why we love our 3735MK but Man were we disappointed NO PANRTY ??? are you kidding me? and not alot of counter space,AND we did not see a closet in the Bedroom is that right??? BUMMER
Old 10-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

What do you mean by "It comes standard with an oven"? Don't all RVs come with some kind of oven? A microwave, convection or a toaster oven may be optional but I think a propane oven is pretty standard, so I'm curious what you meant?

One thing I saw with many manufacturers of fifth wheels or Class As is that they are now coming with conventional 110v fridge/freezers and then will install an inverter to power it when you are boondocking and only have 12v (beware the power drain). Now THAT is nice, better than my dinky 12v/propane/110v TV fridge/freezer.
I was responding to the post by MOC-639. He thought this model did not have an oven under the range. It has a 3 burner stove with oven.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

One thing I saw with many manufacturers of fifth wheels or Class As is that they are now coming with conventional 110v fridge/freezers and then will install an inverter to power it when you are boondocking and only have 12v (beware the power drain). Now THAT is nice, better than my dinky 12v/propane/110v TV fridge/freezer.
I was responding to the post by MOC-639. He thought this model did not have an oven under the range. It has a 3 burner stove with oven.
Sorry, I thought it didn't have a oven. I did see a confection Micro wave for browning and a three burner stove.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

At first I thought the FK would be cool till I saw pics of it on the Montana web site ,My wife and me love too cook that's why we love our 3735MK but Man were we disappointed NO PANRTY ??? are you kidding me? and not alot of counter space,AND we did not see a closet in the Bedroom is that right??? BUMMER
I also was worried because I did not see a pantry but, if you go to the website and look at the pictures you will see one with a cabinet with 4 doors on the bottom, a window in the middle and 2 small cabinets with glass fronts on either side of the window. This is what I call the "pantry". Can't remember what they call it. It's in the kitchen and has as much room in the cabinet as a lot of pantries. I would have prefered a pantry with drawers but, we will make it work.
It does have a closet, although small. If you look at the picture you will see a wall unit with a TV in the middle, 2 mirrored doors on each side and 9 dresser drawers below. Behind the mirrored doors is the closet. Small but, should be OK for us.
One of the biggest drawbacks of this model, is the lack of storage space compared to others. We will just have to throw more things away and learn to live with less.
I really liked the 3735MK but, we wanted a lot of upgrades and sounds like this model is being discontinued so I can not special order my unit.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thanks for clarifying that Cholo it is hard to tell in the pics,next time I drop by my dealer we will check it out in person,it is a cool floorplan,but we have to have lots of closet space,counter space and food storage as we are fulltimers,and you are right the MK is being discountinued the bummer part for us is we have a early 2015 and a few months later they put a Residential fridge in them..DANG
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I also was worried because I did not see a pantry but, if you go to the website and look at the pictures you will see one with a cabinet with 4 doors on the bottom, a window in the middle and 2 small cabinets with glass fronts on either side of the window. This is what I call the "pantry". Can't remember what they call it. It's in the kitchen and has as much room in the cabinet as a lot of pantries. I would have prefered a pantry with drawers but, we will make it work.
It does have a closet, although small. If you look at the picture you will see a wall unit with a TV in the middle, 2 mirrored doors on each side and 9 dresser drawers below. Behind the mirrored doors is the closet. Small but, should be OK for us.
One of the biggest drawbacks of this model, is the lack of storage space compared to others. We will just have to throw more things away and learn to live with less.
I really liked the 3735MK but, we wanted a lot of upgrades and sounds like this model is being discontinued so I can not special order my unit.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
We went back over the weekend and took another look at the FK (and everything else of course) with the "lack of pantry or closet" thought in mind. First thing I would do is add pull out wire drawers to the cabinets directly across from the Fridge/Oven. Lots and lots of space there to be used. That would solve that problem for me 100%. As for the closet, it passed the wife's test. She said a couple small mods would make it work fine. This coming from a woman whose walk in closet in the old house was at least half the size of the entire Montana.

Of all the vendors we visited Montana was by far the most crowded and "electric" with the exception of Airstream which is totally understandable with their tremendous following. Every rig we walked into had several people milling about. Kind of annoying actually but tells me Montana/Keystone is doing something right.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
Cholo

M.O.C. #17952
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

We went back over the weekend and took another look at the FK (and everything else of course) with the "lack of pantry or closet" thought in mind. First thing I would do is add pull out wire drawers to the cabinets directly across from the Fridge/Oven. Lots and lots of space there to be used. That would solve that problem for me 100%. As for the closet, it passed the wife's test. She said a couple small mods would make it work fine. This coming from a woman whose walk in closet in the old house was at least half the size of the entire Montana.

Of all the vendors we visited Montana was by far the most crowded and "electric" with the exception of Airstream which is totally understandable with their tremendous following. Every rig we walked into had several people milling about. Kind of annoying actually but tells me Montana/Keystone is doing something right.
I was thinking the same way as you described. Mods to the cabinet and closet will be a must for us when we get ours delivered.

Any ideas about expanding the lack of "basement" storage? Need ideas. Was thinking along the lines of adding a cargo carrier to the rear of the RV after I figure out what will work on this model.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I didn't look at the basement on any of the Montanas so I didn't notice if it was smaller than average. Lots of thread on storage mods. I didn't do anything to my 3400 except some tubs and a few hooks for hanging small items. Though, the best thing I did was buy a tool box for the back of the truck to take some of the heavy items out of the basement like the generators.