Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
locking slides

4 hydraulic slides on my trailer.

My bedroom slide is opening as it sits closed or traveling down the road. Tried a single slide lock on it in the lower rear corner. After 30 miles the bedroom slide had opened on the front end maybe a half an inch, but the rear was still snug. However I found that the other slides had each loosened up as well. None more than 3/4 inch.

So my question is, will closing each of the slide isolation valves lock the other 3 slides in position so they won't drift out while going down the road? For that to work, wouldn't the valves need to completely isolate both lines going to each cylinder? Would they only need to isolate the hose that leads to the extending connection of the cylinder? anyone know what hose the valves actually shut off?

Thanks

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
My experience, if you close the valve, slide will neither move in or out. However, the hydraulic system has a valve lock on each slide to prevent movement, and sounds like that is what needs to be repaired.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Mike.
IMHO, installing a slide lock is at best a temp fix just to get it home or to a repair facility.
I say this because you run the risk of damaging your RV even more by stressing parts that are not designed to operate that way.
I had 2 slides repeatedly partially deploy while in storage after I had closed them tight using my slide switch.
Turned out that 2 rams had developed internal bypass leaks and had to be replaced. Cost me $1400 after diagnostics, parts & labor at CW in Fountain, CO.
Now they operate as designed.
Good luck whatever path you choose.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I found my leaking problem to be the hose connections at the selector manifold. ALL of them were not what I would consider tight enough for NPT fittings. Even the needle valve bodies were not torqued tight enough into the manifold.

The biggest leak was caused by a needle valve body that loosened up from turning the selector knob to the open position. I guess, a little too firmly?? In my opinion, that should not really be possible.

I tightened all of the hardware to the manifold, and also snugged down the needle valve gland nuts just a bit. Also tightened all hydraulic fittings at the cylinders that I could reach.

No more slide creep since I did this.

So much for "Old World Craftsmanship "
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Iretired06 ... curiosity is knocking ... what and where are these "valve locks" on each slide? Do you mean the manual shut-offs? The manual shut-offs just block flow to the extend side of each cylinder ... the hoses on the retract side of each cylinder are all tied together. So ... if you have a leaking cylinder seal or a leaking check valve in your pump any slide has the opportunity to work itself out. Our systems work on the principal of least resistance. That's why the smaller slides most always go in and out first because they are easier to move. The level up systems are more complex and do not follow the above layout.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
In our case it was a defective manifold head. The slides would drift out and you could hear popping noises after the slides were retracted which told me fluid was bleeding back into the system. If we shut all of the manual selector valves closed/off the slides would not drift. The solution was to replace the entire pump, which included the manifold, and no more problems since.

Jack
Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Iretired06 ... curiosity is knocking ... what and where are these "valve locks" on each slide? Do you mean the manual shut-offs? The manual shut-offs just block flow to the extend side of each cylinder ... the hoses on the retract side of each cylinder are all tied together. So ... if you have a leaking cylinder seal or a leaking check valve in your pump any slide has the opportunity to work itself out. Our systems work on the principal of least resistance. That's why the smaller slides most always go in and out first because they are easier to move. The level up systems are more complex and do not follow the above layout.
Not smart enough on the hydraulics to answer your question. I just know multiple dealerships have told me over the years that the reason Montana units do not require slide Locks, (and in years past we used the lock bars on SOBs), was the system was engineered and designed so that valves installed somewhere in the system prevented slide movement and that if you get movement, that is the source of the problem.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Well, having the valves closed didn't help at all. Each slide moved out a little within minutes of retracting them all and then securing the valves. Maybe the problem is not a cylinder leaking by but, something else. I need a schematic of the system or, take it back for warranty and extended warranty work.

Since mid September of last year I have only been able to use my trailer about 6 weeks. The rest of the time it has been sitting at one dealer or another waiting for repairs. Long story and a PITA.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Woodtic ... like I tried to explain earlier ... the hydraulic system in our slides is about as basic as it gets. Basic = cheap to build. There are no directional valves, the pump motor turns one way to extend and the opposite way to retract. Unless things have changed in the past 2 years, the 2 lines going to each cylinder are like branches on a tree. There is a main extend and retract line right off the pump that all the branches connect to. The manual shut-offs are placed in-between the main extend line from the pump and the extend line coming from each cylinder. All the manual shut-offs do is prevent flow going to the extend side of each cylinder. They cannot prevent oil to seep past the cylinder seals or past the check valve in the pump. If any one of your cylinders has a leaking seal ... due to the simple way the system is plumbed it can allow which ever slide that is easiest to move to creep out on its own ... usually the bedroom slide. The same result applies if there is a leak anywhere or the check valve in the pump doesn't seat. Due to the tech pay scale at most dealerships, you'll be hard pressed to find much hydraulic system knowledge. They might know there needs to be oil in the reservoir and the hose has to be hollow to pass that oil, but beyond that it's a toss up. That's why you hear myths about what's really causing your hydraulic issue ... they're mostly guessing. Again, the level-up system is more complex than described above.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Thanks for the explanation on function of the system. Sounds logical except if the pump direction changes for slide travel there should be no check valve in the system, or it would limit the pump to one direction only. There has to be more to the system/pump/directional control. Just trying to piece it together in my head so that I can figure out a good way to trouble shoot and find the problem.

So, what's the best procedure for trouble shooting the system? Is there a guide on lipperts site?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You'll see only two ports on the pump itself. As far as your slide operation goes, when the pump turns clockwise oil is forced out one port ... when turning counterclockwise ... oil is forced out the other. There is a check in the pump that seats when the pump shuts off ... it's that simple ... no directional valves ... no pilot check valves. Here's one Lippert tech sheet found on their website. There are many others. http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0076.pdf
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Thanks for the explanation on function of the system. Sounds logical except if the pump direction changes for slide travel there should be no check valve in the system, or it would limit the pump to one direction only. There has to be more to the system/pump/directional control. Just trying to piece it together in my head so that I can figure out a good way to trouble shoot and find the problem.

So, what's the best procedure for trouble shooting the system? Is there a guide on lipperts site?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
woodtic, PM sent to you
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Reply sent.