Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
Truck vs tow question

I found a steal of a deal on a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9 turbo diesel.

My question is will it be able to tow my 2005 mountaineer 298rls 5th wheel.

I have a commercial license and have driven tons of truck trailer combinations but everything I've driven has been a dual wheel vehicle. The only exception is my bosses newer gmc 2500 but he swears it can tow a house on blocks.

C&KMessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It will pull it just fine.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Currently pulling my 3720 with a 2011 dodge 4x4 with the cummings diesel and would not go to a dually on a bet. But that's just me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Curtiss & Sharon Dorr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20505
Just like me...

That's a great question! In this forum you'll find formulas (one very complex and one a little simpler to follow) on how to calc towing and load capacities.

Like you, that question burned in my mind when recently we were selecting a tow vehicle for our planned 305RL High Country which then morphed into a 3120RL (which is presently being built and is 1,000 lbs heavier than the 305). Personally, I want more power and torque than I'll use... that gives me the confidence I want when pulling long grades and taking trips - long or short. (We love to camp in the mountains.)

Using the experience of those in the MOC forum and the formulas I found, we decided on the RAM 2500 6.7 with its towing capacity to couple with our new 2130.

Good luck - please keep us informed as to your experience (that's how we all learn, and how the next guy will too).

PS - my dad was propane transport driver for 34 years, now retired. He's very knowledgeable and taught me well. I drove concrete mixer for about one year many years back and I call upon that experience often.
Curtiss & Sharon Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchief View Post
It will pull it just fine.
Sure it will "pull" it fine, but an older 2500 will be way over weight. Do the numbers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
An object in motion tends to stay in motion. The problems arise in starting and stopping that motion. If the weight of yourself, passengers, hitch, tools, fuel, etc AND pin weight exceed the trucks GVWR, you will be inducing excess wear and tear on the suspension, brakes, engine and transmission and potentially creating some safety issues.
This subject has been broached many times here. Everyone has an opinion. My place is not to judge those opinions. I loved my previous truck. A limited edition, fully loaded, special paint, etc. I wanted it to work but rationally I knew I had to go bigger. DO THE MATH and leave your emotions out of the equation.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
Did not buy the truck as I didn't want to put excess strain on a vehicle.

Currently looking at a 1990 Ford F450 with extra heavy duty suspension. It was a bucket truck converted to a flatbed. Its a 7.3 IDI engine which means low and slow until I can put a turbo on it. But the price can't be beat
C&KMessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
great decision on the dodge,
yes it will "pull"
good luck on the 450 its a beast.