Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Still good kids out there to help us out!

Last week I had my new "minion" I found on Craigslist, help clean and wash and destreak the Montana. The 75 degree weather we are experiencing made the job easier for my new assistant. For background, I never covered or store Montana inside. While our winters are mostly mild, the summer avg of 112 degree heat, last week after week takes it toll. Standing back today and really looking at the 3750, it hit me how new it still looks. I am religious about washing, waxing and using protectants. The RV looks like the day I bought it. 25k miles under her and she still turns heads. I mentioned the helper because I think many of us forget about finding good help. I am disabled and just can't lift or be on my feet. I place a simple ad on Craigslist, under "gigs" looking for young student. I phone interview the finalist. All were in high school sports almost a requirement of mine. The one (a Junior) I hired, came over with his parents. ( I insisted on meeting them)! Told them and him what I expected (high expectations and standards) and put him to work. He washed the Dually, two cars and the Montana first day. I paid him $12.00 hour. $70.00. (He was that good). He has since been back twice. I tell him no cell phone calls no music. This is the third young man in five years. Others went off to college ( we gave them a little extra help, for their loyalty ). I wrote this to explain how much good maintenance keeps RV looking good. Also that there are still good kids (with good parents) that will work and help make things easier around the house! Also we saw a few high school football games over the years! Lol. Just wanted to share!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
That's a great idea. I might try that when we get ready to pack up the Fl stuff when we sell the house.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Sounds like a great plan for you and the student. If he gets injured in the process are you covered?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We here a lot about young people. The drugs, gangs. The ones I personally know are wonderful. I'm proud to know them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #5
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Sounds like a great plan for you and the student. If he gets injured in the process are you covered?
Artemus,that is a very nice thing to do.You are a good person.

Webefulltime... That was one of the first things I was thinking. It's sad that in todays world you just can't help a kid earn a few extra bucks and teach him valuable lesson of being self sufficient and earning his money instead of relying on handouts. A lot of people hire unlicensed and uninsured people to work in and around thier homes just to save a buck. Not realizing that if they get hurt they can be sued.I know someone who hired people to work on his roof that didn't have insurance. It was a really good price. One guy fell off his roof and sued him. The price wasn't that good after all....Too bad you just can't help someone looking to EARN some money..
Old 01-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
One of my favorites: "it takes a village to raise a child". You are an engaged part of that village and helping these young people understand good work ethic for a good days pay. Parents can only preach words to a point and it takes other people such as yourself to reinforce those values these parents have been working on all these years. Very good on you!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 AM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Kids in sports is the ticket.....that was a requirement of mine for my kids....they had to be in a sport of some other school organization...lucky for me I did not have a problem with them in sports....both were sport stars in school but I am a firm believer that it also keeps them out of trouble....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Insurance issue is very important thing to add to this discussion. Yes, there is liability! I accept that, and limit certain activities. No getting on roof of RV. Twice year I pay a guy to clean and treat the roof. Step ladders are the limits. The other reason I insist on meeting parents is to have informed consent. I show them exactly what I will be having their kid do for me. Also it makes then see my wife and I are not creepy people (as if one could tell these days). I ask questions about heath concerns etc. Yes, I could be sued, but after having over 100 employees at a time in my businesses, I understand the risks. So far the good Lord has watched over us. and we hope he continues! Our motives are good and these kids can make more than cooking burgers. While I don't have lots of hours for them, my RV friends end up using there services after I find them! One young man told me, stop telling your friends... I am too busy! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Michael, you hit it on the head reference seeking out kids that age that are in sports. We have a couple "jobs" coming up this summer that will require extra muscle, like emptying a storage shed and hauling some heavy items. I am going to employ my oldest grandson on an hourly basis. He will be 16 and playing on a traveling baseball team out of the Chicago area but I can work around his schedule.

Years ago when we moved I was working night shift plus trying to run a small business on the side. We were going to have to hire a moving company for the short move from one side of town to the other. The DW worked at a local college and got a fraternity to send 6 young men over to help move us for a $500.00 donation to their organization. They were hard workers and fun to be around.