Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Bicycle Receiver

So, it turns out that our new 3750 FL Montana does not have a bicycle receiver installed. We really wanted this option, as we have been loading our bicycles on top of our truck and we're getting a little bit old to keep doing this.

Decision time: the dealer says it might be possible to weld a bicycle receiver into the frame but it would void the warranty for the frame. That sounds rather ominous to me. On the other hand, what is the likelihood that the frame will be in need of repair?

Anyone care to chime in?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The dealer would be the LAST place I would let weld to the frame. Find a real welder to do it. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Although a frame failure is unlikely, that would be an expensive if you had to pay for it yourself.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I'm guessing you no longer have a warranty on the frame???

I'm guessing the reason Lippert does this cruel thing is to keep people from towing heavy things. Why in the world can't hey build a bumper that works?? Why is it that my B-I-L's Cougar comes with a bumper mounted tire rack and I can't even put a bike on mine.. Something is rotten in Denmark... and I think it's this Keystone/Marabomb/Lippert relationship. Keystone... Get 'er dun.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just call lippert and ask them. You won't even have to tell them who you are just ask them if welding a receiver hitch for a bike rack would void your warranty and do you still have a warranty to work with. Lippert is good about customer service and you'll get a correct answer and then please post it here for others information. My rig came with a small almost useless hitch from the factory. Once it gets a couple of years older I'll be doing the same thing and then probably having a real hitch welded on and as said above I'll have it done by a real welding shop.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
My 2012 FL has one. I put 2 bikes on the bike rack that I slide into the receiver and have no problems. Probably more of a cost saving measure for them as the price of a new Montana is getting pretty expensive. Get a good welder to attach the angle steel between the frame rails and weld fast a 1 1/4" receiver. If you only carry 2 bikes you'll be fine.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Hmm, I don't think cost savings equals a voided warranty. I've called them (Keystone) before.. and they told me it would void the warranty. Others may/not have received the same response. I haven't called Lippert.

It really is the thinnest frame I've experienced in my years with 5ers
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I see you have an 05 model ... at 8 years isn't the frame warranty out by now? Everyone has their own fears and hesitations ... I installed an aftermarket hitch on the last 3 brand new Montana's I've owned each within a week of purchase. I've pulled jetskis and small squirt boats since 2000 with no frame issues. I'd have a bike rack installed by a competent welder and enjoy its use till the cows come home.
On edit ... OK I can't read ... you have a new unit ... It's your call ... I'd still go with a rack installed ... how many frame failures have been discussed on the MOC ... a very small number.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you're going to be in the Elkhart area, Mor/ryde can put you on a real 2" Receiver hitch. I think the talk about Voiding the frame warranty is a scare tactic. I was told the same thing about putting on the IS, but was also told by Management of our SOB that Lippert would have to prove that the mod was the cause of the problem. Now is you put on a Receiver hitch and put your Harley on a rack the would have cause to void the warranty. Use common sense and I think you would be fine.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Many members have used this hitch, http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/p...ID=1050&part=0
It is well built and requires no welding. If you are really want something welded on do as bigmurf suggested and go to a welding shop,not an rv dealer
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Ours did come with the 1-1/4" bike carrier reciever, but was a real POS. Our bikes sagged baddly on the first trip. Keystone wouldn't step up, but our dealer did. I had to pay for the upgrade though. Here is the link where I posted.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...rchTerms=hitch
Unless there is a problem at the rear of the frame, I think it would be hard to claim a failure at another area of the frame was caused by a bike carrier. I would opt to bolt a carrier on rather than weld though. Seems it would be easier to defend oneself in the event of a problem. Ozz or others with experience in welding might chime in here. I would be scared of the heat transfer to the frame after welding affecting the strength.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
As usual, a wealth of information found here. I would never have thought about the difference between having a dealer weld it or have a real welding shop do the work so I'm glad I posted this.

We decided to go ahead and pass on the dealership welding it and we will do it after market in most likelihood. Thanks!
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I plan to have a 2" receiver hitch bolted on our new coach before leaving for FL in December. Just think about that 63 gallon fresh water tank setting back there that is OK. So, why would our two recumbent trikes setting back there on a double trike rack with a total all inclusive weight of less than 150 lbs change things. Believe it would be very difficult to show my trikes caused an issue on the front, back or anywhere else on the trailer frame.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote