Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

All the info above is true, but don't forget the macho look of the DRW too. )
Since when have training wheels looked macho?
LOL - Good one! I always thought they were just really expensive curb feelers.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
We have a 2012 3500SRW and it does great pulling our 2012 3625RE Big Sky!!!!
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have never towed the fifth wheel with a single rear wheel. However, I have towed trailers with a single wheel before the purchase of a dually. In pulling a trailer there is no comparison IMHO as to better stability. My choice for towing is the dually. But as mentioned we should do the numbers for weight capacity.

I don’t get intimidated by the width of the dually either. I go through drive thru’s that are sometimes tight but I keep this in mind. I’ve not seen any fenders in the back that stick out more than what the mirrors do. I go slowly and IMO if the mirrors clear the back fenders should clear. I don’t cut corners but sometimes I have to re-adjust on sharp corner turns. You do have to give a little with the dual’s. It’s not always as convenient but I’ll take the dually even for a daily driver.

Also as mentioned, with me it becomes second habit to park away from the crowd. What does it hurt if you have to walk the length of a parking lot to get inside of a Wal-Mart? Unless you ride one of their carts you’re going to be walking quite a bit once you get inside anyway.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did not just buy a dually because they look good..IMO they do not. Using information we had and information from this forum and unders tanding that pin weight is a term few salewsman know or understand not to mention RV owners. We found that in crunching the number we needed the dually to handle pin weight so we got one.We do not enjoy driving this thing around without the RV attached.It is a PIA.When I have to drive this thing to work at Disney I have to park in a out of the way parking lot way in the back and take up nearly two spots. It is a must have for towing the heavy Montana's and bummer for daily driving.Just My Opinion.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I did not just buy a dually because they look good..IMO they do not. Using information we had and information from this forum and unders tanding that pin weight is a term few salewsman know or understand not to mention RV owners. We found that in crunching the number we needed the dually to handle pin weight so we got one.We do not enjoy driving this thing around without the RV attached.It is a PIA.When I have to drive this thing to work at Disney I have to park in a out of the way parking lot way in the back and take up nearly two spots. It is a must have for towing the heavy Montana's and bummer for daily driving.Just My Opinion.
That about sums it up. We got our dually for exactly the same reason...the numbers said we needed one. One thing we love about the MH is our run around vehicle is now a Honda CRV...small, agile, reliable, good on gas.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. This is why to me the dually is the only option. Pick the trailer FIRST, then that will tell you what you need to tow it...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #27
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Gotta agree with the PITA to drive around town I'm a truck driver so driving big trucks is no big deal to me and alot of people say they are no more of a PITA than a SRW I'm saying they Are! I feel like I'm back at work again, MY OLD f350 SRW was fine around town My new Dually Chevy with it's Big Butt SUCKS around town but having said that I am glad I bought it Tows my 5th great
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I have a 2011 F-350 4X4 SRW. It handles the 2008 3450 which is 37' long and the motorcycle trailer with 2008 harley Ultra just fine. I do not experiance any unusual sway of any kind. Wind from a passing semi only inches away will move any vehicle. My Ford dealer told me Ford had substancially upgraded their suspension and I would not need a dually. I am glead I listened to him. But if you insist on burning 6 tires instead of 4 when you say the truck will be used daily, then go for it. They do look macho.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For most of the reasons stated here, we also have a dually. And like Rich paraphrased, we can all use the walk from the parking lot to the Walmart...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Unless you have a disability like me and can't walk too far it is a bummer trying to get into a handicap spot with the "BEAST"
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
When we bought our truck, one of the salesmen pointed out the differences in E rated tire weight ratings. He suggested that when choosing single wheel over dually to look for 3750 pound rated tires. The 20 inch wheels on our '09 F250 4x4 have goodyear wranglers rated at 3750 lb..
I'm not sure of the equipment difference, but an F350 single wheel has a higher payload than a F250. I read somewhere that the axle housing on the F350 matched the DRW axle and had greater wall thickness.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #32
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shovelhead86

I have a 2011 F-350 4X4 SRW. It handles the 2008 3450 which is 37' long and the motorcycle trailer with 2008 harley Ultra just fine. I do not experiance any unusual sway of any kind. Wind from a passing semi only inches away will move any vehicle. My Ford dealer told me Ford had substancially upgraded their suspension and I would not need a dually. I am glead I listened to him. But if you insist on burning 6 tires instead of 4 when you say the truck will be used daily, then go for it. They do look macho.
Just be careful with your payload (pin weight and all the goodies). When I got my DRW I also got the camper certificate (allowable payload) and after pin weight, I have less than a thousand pounds for hitch, fuel, passengers, etc. Long story short, the DRW is just able to tow the Montana legally and safely and it's payload is much higher than a SRW.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #33
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
I can't speak from experience driving a dually in tow, but I've been towing our 5th wheel for 8 yrs now and feel very comfortable driving during tow and especially local driving.
Two main reasons I didn't go dually was: 1- worrying about taking out the fenders in a toll both or other obstruction (with or without the wife driving the rig); and 2- I would have to sacriface 500 lbs tow weigh with a dually. I've talked with many campers and I came to the conclusion it's pretty much personal preference.
My work truck is a dually. The cost of tires, checking air pressure & adding air is a hassel. I installed the extention air hoses and my tire guy advised me they loose presure from the constant movement and he also said that many times when one of the tire blows the friction from the blown tire wears the side wall of the good tire.
For my next truck I'm not ruling out a dually since we'll be on the road most of the time in the future.
Thrappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pin weight,,,,Pin weight.That is the difference between the two.Pulling is not the issue.....Pin weight....pin weight.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #35
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I didn't want to mess with worrying about pin weight , so I got the dually this time. It's my first one and it won't be the last!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #36
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:

Pin weight,,,,Pin weight.That is the difference between the two.Pulling is not the issue.....Pin weight....pin weight.
Been saying that for years, and I really get tired of the "it pulls fine" posts.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #37
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:

Been saying that for years, and I really get tired of the "it pulls fine" posts.
The bad thing too is folks listen to and trust the truck salesman who probably never has towed in his life. He is also going to try to sell you the SRW on his lot because he doesn't have any DRWs - so of course he's going to say the SRW is fine!! We have some good mantras going here - Rich "pin weight, pin weight" and I like "trailer first, which dictates truck". Actually even if I had a lighter fifth wheel I'd still get the DRW just for the added stability. There is no such thing when towing as being TOO safe!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Another number that folks like to ignore is the TVs GVWR (weight of TV plus pin weight). Now depending on state and how they license trucks, that GVWR may be the max you can register the TV as, thus if ever checked would be the number they'ld use. NY is that way, so our GVWR on a 2011 GM 3500 Dually, Extended Cab, Long Bed, Diesel is 13000 and CAT Scaled with everthing loaded for travel came in at 12500, so we still have a little wiggle room.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
here is how it works. The GVWR of my Ford Truck is 13,000 lbs. The Carry capacty is 4268lbs.The truck weighs 9200lbs ready to tow.
13,000lbs less 9200lbs =3800lbs which is the REAL carry capacity of the truck. The last weighed pin weight of the Rv was 2960lbs'.
3800 lbs less 2960lbs=840 lbs leeway..with the dually. Use your numbers with a Single wheel truck and see what you get.

Of course a single wheel drive truck will pull it fine ..it has the same drivetrain...but NOt the same carry capacity.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Know your weights. While it is extremely rare for a RV to be red tagged or taken out of service because of weight it does happen. I personally have a friend (not a friend of a friend) in LE who works commercial vehicle enforcement. He has personally taken RVs out of service. He will admit it is very rare but does happen. He says that RV weights are on the radar, especially now with licensing becoming a issue. A 16k# trailer and 10k# truck put you at the magic 26k#. In Texas if you exceed 26k# you must upgrade your license. He says there are an alarming number of RV owners operating their RV with a out of class license. With the higher weight capacities in most trucks today it is easy to exceed 26k#. (Keep in mind if you are legally registered & licensed in your state of residency you are legal in all states -- non-commercial). So if you are illegal in your home state you can be put out of service in another state. With internet access in his vehicle it is real easy to check another states licensing requirements.

It only takes a few high profile incidents for the states to start to put a priority on this. Look at the whole gun control debate that is currently going on. With the recent high profile incidents that have happened this would not be the ongoing discussion that it currently is. (Gun Control is just an example. Not arguing for or against)
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote