Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What the heck??????????????

Pilot gas fees

http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/...aspx?id=591352

For more info on it, read the 9 comments at the end of the article.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
I find them to be overpriced on diesel but some on this forum swear by them.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Actually, lots of stations do this, although maybe not that amount.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many if not most stations do this. I don't know if it's now required to post it or if it's just happening, but many of our local stations now post that they do it on their pumps. It could be protection against being the last to get your last dollar or it may be a reaction to new debit card fees. At the store we are now paying almost twice as much to process a debit card as we used to. Fast Food and I'm not sure who else had deals to process debit cards in order to get us to do it in the first place. Now since the issuers weren't able to get the public to accept a fee to use their debit card they upped the fee for us to accept it. At the same time our agreement with them says we can't charge more for a debit card or discriminate against debit card transactions. By posting those type of requirements, on purpose or not, they are pushing people toward credit cards where our fees are still the same.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

This is not new. Been going on for 20 years. The oil company always blames the bank or card company. Banks or card company’s do not put holds on the funds it is always the merchant

Also if you notice your card will not work for more than $75 when swiped at the pump. I checked into that after the oil company told me it was the bank doing it. This turns out to be the fault of the insurance companies. The insurance companies will only cover the fraudulent use of the card at the pump for the amount of $75 or less in a 24 hr period. If you go inside and use the same card you can purchase as much as you want because the attendant is supposed to verify your identity. Then merchant is the one that sets the pumps to refuse you more than $75 in product. This I don’t blame them for.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Here's my take on it; I've seen $75, $100 and no limit. I've been told the CC is to blame, the company (Raceway) is to blame and the "that's just the way we do it for insurance". I quit getting excited about stuff like this. I've survived Vietnam, cancer, and few thousand hours in helicopters. Been married to the same woman for 44 years, these guys can't piss me off!!!!!
Mike
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Here's my take on it; I've seen $75, $100 and no limit. I've been told the CC is to blame, the company (Raceway) is to blame and the "that's just the way we do it for insurance". I quit getting excited about stuff like this. I've survived Vietnam, cancer, and few thousand hours in helicopters. Been married to the same woman for 44 years, these guys can't piss me off!!!!!
Mike
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Mike
Interesting that you would compare being in Vietnam and having cancer to being married to the same woman for 44 years. I wonder if she sees this, you'll make it #45?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Mike
Interesting that you would compare being in Vietnam and having cancer to being married to the same woman for 44 years. I wonder if she sees this, you'll make it #45?
You will note that there is a period between the two statements so there was no comparison. I tell her she should have kicked me to the curb thirty years ago but since she didn't she's stuck with me.

Mike
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Actually folks, we have been down this road before. We just sold our restaurant. It works the same way. Server swipes a card, cc company adds an additonal amount in case of a tip, for authorization. Customer signs credit card and either leaves a tip or not. At the end of the business day, we 'settle our batch' with the credit card company. This is the first time the credit card company knows the acutally dollar amount of the transaction and then properly debits the correct amount from the card holder. If for some reason, we don't 'settle the batch' that night, the pre-authorization will stay open until we do.

If a customer checks their charges right away, it will show the pre-authorization amount, not the corrected amount of the transaction. This is the way it works for any credit card situation where the amount of the sale in unknown at the time of authorization. It can cause problems for debit cards as the cash is held until the 'batch is settled'.

You should be able to avoid all of this at the pump by not using the credit/debit card at the pump. If you go in and only have them run the card when the transaction amount is known, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
44 years in fast food, what's a tip? The only tip I've ever gotten is "find an easier job". Hopefully by the end of the year I will have found at least partial retirement instead.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

44 years in fast food, what's a tip? The only tip I've ever gotten is "find an easier job". Hopefully by the end of the year I will have found at least partial retirement instead.
Ever turn a Blizzard upside down and lose it? A tip would be " don't do that again". Gg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Hopefully by the end of the year I will have found at least partial retirement instead.

Thats what I hope for to. I have a easy way of dealing with CC. Send a customer what they wont put a invoice in the box and hope they pay. Guess what they all do. Let people know you trust them. I know its a stupid way to do business but it works and I lose less than dealing with credit cards.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Ever turn a Blizzard upside down and lose it? A tip would be " don't do that again". Gg
Thousands of Blizzards and only had that happen one of two ways. If the topping (heath is good for this) cuts a hole in the cup and we put a second cup on it we'll forget, when we're busy, and turn it upside down anyway and are left holding the empty cup. The other way is when big thunderstorms come in the summer and the condensation forms on the cup and it slips. Had one kid that worked for us catch the errant Blizzard in mid air. In the process he squeezed it out on the counter, however.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When Pilot merged with Flying J they sent out a letter that all Flying J Credit cards that earn points will be discontinued, a new credit card could be obtained by filling out a CC application to the company and getting it approved. there was going to be a yearly fee but if you had a account with there bank it might be less or waved.
I figured all that work was not worth it, I would use my personal CC. when I used there's I would save the most of 1 cents per gallon up to 100 gals, I cant put a 100 gals in my truck so the most I would save was 75 cents per fill up big deal, I'll use my personal CC.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I use a credit card because I don't carry enough cash to cover filling the cost of filling up a diesel tank of 50 plus gallons and I don,t go to Pilot.They are one of the highest price fuel.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
A former co-worker of mine decided to take a family trip back when fuel was at its peak a few years ago. Using his ATM card he would stop and only put in $20 of gas at a time (his reasoning was so the kids could get out and buy junk in the convince store). By the time he got to his destination his ATM card stopped working because of all the $75 authorizes for $20 purchases. He had to spend a 2 extra days until the authorizes cleared his card before he could return home. At least he learned to fill the tank .....

Using http://www.findfuelstops.com/ as a reference typically most of the truck stops in any particular area are competitive with each other. I still tend to use Flying J frequently because with my RV card I still get the cash price minus $.01 even when using my credit card and even in the truck lanes. Plus I do not have to swipe/present my card until they see my face standing in front of the fuel desk. Also with the RV card I can start the pump with out a credit card and pump until full with out having to walk inside first.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have the new pilot cards registered and validated and they work just fine. We use the truck stops because we are 53 feet plus front truck bumper to rear 3400 and truck stops are handy and can handle large vehicles which is why they are called truck stops. Convenience and ease of fueling is worth a bit more for us. We are not going to run miles off the interste and shoehorn into a small fuel station for a couple of cents.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

Ozz,
I find them to be overpriced on diesel but some on this forum swear by them.
Mike
Yep...Pilot/FJ are like KOA for me...a last resort.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just an FYI, if you happen to be a Good Sam Life Member you can get a new Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card. It's a pre-approved Debit type card and with it you can pay at the Pump in the Truck Lanes and get 8 cents a gal off the cash price or 6 cents a gal off Gas in the regular lanes.