Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
5TH WHEEL HITCH PINS & CLIPS

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL....................
After seeing on this & other RV sites that 5th wheel hitches have been stolen and/or some cruddy person has removed 1 or more clips & pins from your hitch just for kicks, I've been thinking of replacing the clips & pins on the hitch with same size bolts with locking nuts.
My thinking is that someone walking by just looking for trouble would not have wrenches in their pocket to remove the bolts. Also, the harder & time consuming you make it to steal, they'll just move on.
I have a cargo carrier on the back of my Monty & I use a bolt there rather than a pin & clip just for that reason.
I don't remove my hitch from the bed so this is not a problem. But even if I did, I would'nt remove it more than once or twice a year.
Any thoughts on this.

Larry P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
If you feel the need to lock all four pins, there are pins made for trailer hitches that have locks or places for locks. You could use 4 of those with common keyed locks.
They are available at Walmart.
Bolts would not fit on my 5er hitch very well.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bolts will work, I use these lock plates made by Reese
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP58093.html
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Reese lockplates donated to me by a friend on this forum. Thank you Dick. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Those Reese pull pin locks look great! I gotta get those.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Just glad I don't live in or go to areas that have that problem. Never heard of it going on around here. JMHO.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Note! My hitch is from Valley/Husky and uses the Curt style of hitch pin which has a tiny hole where the locking clip is inserted to keep the pin in place. Aside from rebuying the reese style pins (and having the old pins being leftover), then buying the Reese locking hardware does anyone have a recommendation for locking the Curt style of hitch pins? That hole for the locking pin is so small I have not been able to find anything small enough to feed through then still be able to lock it somehow.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Note! My hitch is from Valley/Husky and uses the Curt style of hitch pin which has a tiny hole where the locking clip is inserted to keep the pin in place. Aside from rebuying the reese style pins (and having the old pins being leftover), then buying the Reese locking hardware does anyone have a recommendation for locking the Curt style of hitch pins? That hole for the locking pin is so small I have not been able to find anything small enough to feed through then still be able to lock it somehow.

Drill Bit
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have a curt hitch and the one problem I see with it is that the pins that came with the unit are to small in diameter and make the hitch move up and down slightly, which makes my fifth airborne pin box work even harder than it should. My cure will be when I find them, which I have not found the correct size pins as of yet will be to replace them. Other alternative will be nuts and bolts.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dave,
This may help with your hitch movement
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acce...Dampeners.aspx
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I drilled out the hole for the clip and use a deep Master Lock.
I also removed the bolt that holds the handle and use the clip.
I keep the handle under the back seat of the truck. I did that over 3 years ago and have never had a problem.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As Larry mentioned I use the Reese clips on those they work on. On the two I didn't have room to fit the Reese Clips on I use four wire ties, two on each end of the clips. Those pins are between the hitch and my tool box. If someone wants to screw me up bad enough to climb in my truck bed, bend over between my hitch and my toolbox and cut at least four wire ties to get one pin out they would have passed on that and done any of a variety of other bad things that are easier. My handle has a latch on it that I put a padlock thru that is keyed like all my other padlocks on the hitch and anywhere else I use one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote