Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Meerkat Cousin

These little critters have provided us with endless entertainment. They are so cute. I guess they are Prairie Dogs. Sue stepped in one of their holes when we were setting up, about fell, but she is tough..
We sit looking at the mountains in the cool breeze, they poke their heads out of their homes and check us out, as we are no threat, they scurry about and graze on the sparse grass here. They sit up with their little paws curled under and look all around for danger, their tails flip back and forth at the speed of light almost.
We have one under the picnic table, and well, they are all over.
I call them Meerkats. Sue just pointed out that there a few Elk lumbering our way, they are shaggy, losing their winter coat.
Hey, it's all good here in Paradise.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yep, they're prairy dogs. Cute little critters alright, but extremely destructive to pastures and crops. Wives aren't the only things that fall in the holes, horses and cattle do too. The holes have also been known to harbor burrowing owls, and the occasional rattlesnake. Be careful buddy.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Sadly, in some areas, they are also known to carry the Bubonic plague.... (yes, THAT plague)
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I really feel bad that you are having it so rough at this time. If I get the chance I will try to come up with some things for you to do to keep your self busy! You know anything for a friend. HeHeHe. Hey brother "ENJOY".
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Actually, it's the fleas that carry the plague. Apparently most rodents don't seem to be bothered by it. The fleas bite the p-dogs, then the fleas bite you or your pets. So you should get some flea collars for the whole family -

In some circles prairie dogs as unaffectionately known as "prairie rats" (and not in a nice way) and as cute as they are they are despised by many especially those who live amongst them. Like mentioned above, do realize that the burrowing systems are so large that more than prairie dogs will live in them.

I guess you can call them Colorado Meerkats.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
All the people that work here hate them, fleas, snakes, Plague, broken leg. Sounds like the makings of a country song...
But they are cute. I used to have a bunch of Ferrets, started with two, then found out about a Nurse that had a Ferret shelter. She got the Ferrets people bought, then didn't want. Every time I took a truck load of food, bedding and paper towels over to the shelter, I came back with a new Ferret. Ended up with 14 of them.... I know.
They all eventually died and I did not replace them. I just started to send her a check in the mail.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Too bad you can't use them for target practice. I'm sure the locals would love to.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Too bad you can't use them for target practice. I'm sure the locals would love to.
That sounds like an idea. 22/250 with a 40 gr horady splitser green tip. ba da boom.
they almost look like a ground squreil in a way. very distructive to underground wiring and campgrounds.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Come on, you guys. Prairie dogs are important to the environment. It's the humans who have invaded their habitat, not the other way around. Give the little guys a break.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, what Pam said. All God's creatures....

Oops, Sue just saw a Crow eat one of God's creatures..
Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I doubt they are Prairie Dogs at that altitude. Tris this out.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Wildlife...dSquirrels.htm
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

I doubt they are Prairie Dogs at that altitude. Tris this out.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Wildlife...dSquirrels.htm
Ok !............ I can go with that as a breed of Ground Squirrel for Colorado, it looked a bit like the Ground Squirrel we have here in California, which are a carrier of the plague in some areas the foristry usuall will close down a section of the forest untill they get rid of the problem, they are still kinda cute but will destroy the instalation and wiring out of your car or TV Pictures will follow on the damage they did to my Rams instulation.

cute but distructive the one on the hood cost 165.00 the one on the firewall 88.00.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bummer.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Bummer.
Ozz
They needed nesting material, to make more little munchkins,
I was also told that if you leave the hood up they wont bother the stuff. thats what I do now.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Varmits are eating the old ratty rug we have by the door, you can see them with a pink mouth-full scurrying away.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No doubt. They are prairie dogs. I have seem bunches of them at altitude in Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park in North Dakota and at Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana. There is a huge Prairie dog town near Devil's Tower in Wyoming. I have a number of pictures that look just like the animal you photographed.

On the western side of Glacier Nat'l Park, we had interesting encounters with ground squirrels. They would come right up to you at the picnic tables for a nibble of food. Very bold and cute. Their burrows were different than the ground squirrels, not as large. .
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Stiles.
Whaere should we go after our stay here, in Wyoming? We are just 90 miles away from a big city there.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Ozz, you and your wife please be careful around those "cute" prairie dogs. I feel they are one of the nastiest animals I have ever seen. Not only do they carry plague and other diseases, they are cannibals. We were in Montana, 2 yrs ago, shooting PDogs and discovered just how destructive and nasty they are. I won't go into details, but will say, there were 2 dogs standing on their mound appearing to talk to each other. I shot one and when he fell over, the other one went over and started eating him.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Ozz, you and your wife please be careful around those "cute" prairie dogs. I feel they are one of the nastiest animals I have ever seen. Not only do they carry plague and other diseases, they are cannibals. We were in Montana, 2 yrs ago, shooting PDogs and discovered just how destructive and nasty they are. I won't go into details, but will say, there were 2 dogs standing on their mound appearing to talk to each other. I shot one and when he fell over, the other one went over and started eating him.
He fell over???? must have been a light load Ha Ha. sorry . just messing with you. I guess he came over for lunch and he turned out to be lunch, with a little push from you. I have always wanted to do some dogs in Montana or Wyoming, maybe soon I hope. Bucket List no number yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What kind of sauce do you put on them?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote