Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Slide out and coke storage conflict

Just so you don't do what we did, I thought that I would start this thread.
During transit, we often store boxes of soft drink cans between the recliner back and the side of the rig. Today, I had to stop quickly, and gravity forced the soft drink boxes forward into the path of the door side slide. When the D/W moved the slides out, the soft drink boxes tried to stop the movement of the slide and the lower portion of the decorative surrounding panel on the slide was pulled from the framework. A little work and I could force the panel back into place, but this was an awful sound and hope this story helps others that might be tempted to do the same.
Just have to ensure that the slides will move without conflict. Just so you know.

stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Our dog dish did the same thing on the kitchen slide. I now try to partially open and then check for obstructions. I also stand up stairs and check the roof for decorations that may have come off the upper wall. I missed a cabinet door when we got home. I heard a sound and stopped immediately.
Thanks for the post.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The new remote controls are very nice, but I for one will never push out the slides without being inside. A cabinet door pops open or anything gets in the way you could do some damage quickly. If I am concerned about outside clearance I get the wife to watch for that. I try to be very cautious operating the slide rooms.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It is too easy for things like that to happen. I wish the Monty's were designed in such a way that anything like that couldn't happen. I'm always concerned a drawer will pop open and catch our kitchen slide in the back.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I lost our desk chair that way. It somehow moved around from its travel position. My BIL offered to help extend the slides while I went outside to check the clearance. We were nestled around lots of trees and while I was meticulous to measure for clearance prior to extending the slides I wanted to ensure that they did clear as they were extended. My BIL was in the trailer on the switch and I was outside watching the progress, when I heard a CRAAAAACK, but my BIL kept going.... when I finally got inside to check what happened he finally stopped then asked, "What was that?" What could I do? He's way bigger than I am. I knew what it was even though the mangled chair was on the other side of the French Doors in my floor plan. The chair was mostly in four pieces held together by some upholstery.

I have not replaced the chair, yet, but plan to replace it with one of those backless Nerdy chairs that you sit on with your butt then your knees rest on a padded platform. These are nice and small and I find them quite comfortable.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
On our second trip out one of the sink covers fell behind the stove and refrig slide. It took the face off of the slide on one side. made me sick I took the face off repaired and replaced it and it looks good as new and the two covers have been in my shop for 4 yrs.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We had a near miss with the 3400RL. Earlene was inside when I started it out and she noticed the door to the cabinet next to the entertainement slide (small kitchen Cabinet) was partially open and stopped me just in time. I have heard of some others that have taken that door off.

So, even now in the SOB, I always check for obstructions before extending, and she does for retracting, and sometime we both do. I would never use a remote from the outside without checking the inside for possible mishaps.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Crushing things while opening the slide in the livingroom is a learning experience. We experienced it once and have learned---to check everything before pushing the button.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I velcro all cabinet doors and anything that will move prior to pulling out, takes maybe 10 minutes. Learned on my last rig tearing off a door etc. It truly helps.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had our share of things that hooked on the slides and damaged one thing or another. Now we always do a quick visual of the doors and drawers. We open part way and then walk to the back to do a visual of the floor area. We've had stuff jump out of the cabinets and drawers. It's been several years now since we've had a problem.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

I velcro all cabinet doors and anything that will move prior to pulling out, takes maybe 10 minutes. Learned on my last rig tearing off a door etc. It truly helps.
Ditto on the velcro after tearing a cabinet door apart when putting the slides out.

I also added shocks to the TT and it has made a world of difference IMO.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We had velcroed a small fire extinguisher in the corner by the recliners and during travel it some how came loose and when I opened the slide the same thing happened. Luckily I was watching and also heard the sound of crunching trim work and stopped. Just had to pound the trim back and all was good. But we moved the extinguisher.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We do as HamRad- One person on the switch and the other moving in the unit, checking for obstacles- We learned the hard way and never vary from that program- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We velcro all cabinets doors shut.. When we arrive at a site Helen turns all the slides off execpt the main 3400 slide and watches while I hit the slide switch.We do the same for each slide with Helen watching for "stuff" that may work its way into strange places.....so far..so good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I (the DW) always do the slides from the inside while the DH is outside. Like all others I check first for open doors, obstrutions, etc. I go one step further and use a flashlight to check that there isn't something small to obstruct the slide. Only takes a second more to get the flashlight out. Gives me peace of mind.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote