Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Apollo Half Bake Ovens

I haven't heard one good thing about this oven and unfortunetly for me, mine broke and they are hard to find. One Montana dealer told me $500. My question is, has anyone found a simple microwave that will fit the spot on my '06 Montana?? I need need a half bake oven. I have tried 5 huge retailers and none have a microwave that will fit in that hole properly.

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Jaybird,

I would not actually pay money for an Apollo again. At this point I won't even install a free one. Look at the failure as opportunity.........opportunity to put in something that works!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by half-bake oven. (I do know what an Easy-Bake oven is, as I still use one on my "cook days" ) There are many many standard microwaves that will fit, including the original Dometics that were in the earlier Montanas (available at Camping World). We elected to get the Amana Radarange from Great Indoors (Sears) because I like the chime and the trim kit came with ductwork to push the air through the trim louvers. (you can scroll down to the last two pics here http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...36&uid=6528899 to see what it looks like)

If you are looking for a convection/microwave, they are a little harder to come by in a 23" width. Kenmoore Elite makes one (or did) and there are some available online through the RV places.

Happy shopping!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well here is one good thing..After some initial problems with our Apollo and finially getting a replacement after two failed attempts to repair.. it has been nearly one year and it works perfectly. We are long timers and use it all the time.Helen even goes out to the camper here at home to use it because she likes it so much.. The build dates on our Apollo is Aug 06..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Great slideshow. Someone in your house is very handy. That would not be me. My '06 Monty came with what Apollo calls a Half Time Oven which I have not interest in replacing. However not being handy, I'm trying to find a basic microwave that will fit a close as possible into the slot the Apollo came out of. The Apollo had leg brackets that held it in place but I don't thing I can find a microwave that will just fit that space perfectly.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jaybird -
The Amana trim had hardware to elevate the legs so the oven was centered perfectly in the hole. However, I did have to cut the cabine about 3/8" on the sides and at the top to get the trim on.

I believe the Dometic fits right in there, but I'm not positive.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Jaybird, if you change your mind call Lynn at Midwest Supply, 1-800-772-7262. We had one go out in our 07 Monty after three months. It seems the ones manufactured before 08/06 had a problem. We have been using the new replacement they sent us for 9 months now just about everyday and it works great. We received a new one a few days after we called, and sent them back the old one. Easy to install. Good Luck. I know we were lost for the few days without ours. Hated to use the gas oven, had to take all of the stored stuff out of it, and the 1/2 time works soooo much better.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don't want to sway anybody one way or the other, but I do believe that 08/06 mark was an urban legend unintentionally started by Rich because of his success on the last Apollo . Ours was built after 10/06 and I think many of the new units continue to have the same issue. Our storage neighbor just replaced his in his Big Horn a month ago and if he read in the right place it has a 07 build date.

If I had the time and patience, and I actually used the convection, I would probably insist on satisfaction through Lynn as well, but I don't and I don't. Nothin better'n the smell of propane on my cake

Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think Brad is correct. Dealer is currently in the process of getting us our third one under warranty. The last one was dated 12/06 and lasted shorter than the one that was dated before 8/06. Two completely different failure modes also, the first the inner light suffered an attack where it would not go off, the second suffered an attack where the control panel completely quit functioning. Hopefully the third one is a charm. Can't replace it because DW absolutely loves it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
I just looked at CW and the measurements are pretty darn close for my original face plate to fit the Dometic. If the legs don't match up to what was there for the Apollo, I think I can figure out something to raise it a tad and stabilize the unit. I sure wish barb and bob were my neighbours here in Seattle. I have a great expense account and reward well if you know what I mean. I wish i was handy but my wife loves the piano playing. Wish me luck!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I happen to like the Panasonic inverter microwave, which fits the Apollo bezel if you make some different leg supports. The inverter microwave runs the microwave tube at different power levels instead of turning it on and off at full power for different lengths of time. That makes it a lot easier on a generator and cooks more uniformly, in my humble opinion.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
We have a `05 3295 with the apollo 1/2 time oven and have had no problems with it. I will admit that we use the microwave portion more than the convection oven but still have had no problems. When the need comes for cooking indoors I would say that the convection oven gets used about 40% of the time and the regular LP oven gets used the other 60%. One thing I have noticed is that an incredible amount of steam is present when using both the micro and the convection ovens and when finished using we immediately wipe the interior out and leave the door open to further dry things out. All that steam can't be good for the electronics. All in all we have had no problems.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have been using ours since May 25th of this year. DW loves it and doesn't want to do without. No problems to date and it gets used several times a day including the convection part for dinners. We're not much on eating out so most of our meals are eat in. We do make sure we turn off AC or heater when using and DO NOT SLAM THE DOOR. Some say it's just a matter of time. I hope ours is the exception.

Bottom Line: WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our 06/06 Apollo is still running great - after our 02/06 just about burned down our 1 week old 2007 3400... Cheryl uses the convection oven about 10% of the time and the micro the other 90% of usage. She is a big proponent of the regular gas oven for baking...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
The key with this appliance is to follow the directions to the letter.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
I'm on my third one from the dealer so far, and now I'm sure the warrenty is off. If for some reason, there is someone out there that wants parts for theirs, they sell parts online at Sears in their Parts section, for the Apllo.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would appear that the 8/06 build date makes no difference since the problems have continued although ours has been perfect since it was replaced. Helen loves the 1/2 time function. If this Apollo goes out we would NOT get another..way to many issues with them...we have been looking for another 1/2 time oven.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,
Don't you have the extended warranty which would replace the Apollo?? A small deductible or no deductible replacement would be hard to beat in my opinion?? Just curious if there are other reasons??
Bingo
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bingo, I believe that ext warranty is a $250 deductible. Would be more than getting a good deal on a replacement unit from Sears, et al...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Holy Moley!! My extended warranty will be $0.00 deductible, at least that is what the dealer rep told me. If it was that high, I would side with Rich and dumpster it. I will know for sure next month when I purchase the extended warranty.
Bingo
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have to pull my warranty info, Bingo, to double check that. Or wait for Rich to chime in here, as he has the same warranty...

I would lean toward replacing my current Apollo with another on their warranty, as it would be free.