Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Ed DeWitt

M.O.C. #2867
Peeling Decals

I have a 2005 3400RL which we love. The only problem (other than the leaking blackwater tank) is that the decals are peeling off. Not all of them, just the ones that are not blue. If they have any red in them at all they look horrible. The "Montana" emblem on the front cap is the worst. The dealer said it is because I waxed them. I told them that is the equivalent of selling a car and telling you you can't wash the windows. Try waxing a unit without touching the decals! Is anyone else having a problem? If so, did Montana do anything for you? I would really appreciate some feedback.

Ed DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe that the decals on the units built after 2002 experienced the peeling decals. Our unit is a 2000 and we are not seeing any peeling at all. We've lived in this unit for seven years. My dealer believes, as I do, that the manufacturer of the decals is using a different adhesive. Keystone is not the only manufacturer experiencing this problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Mine have been peeling also. The blue ones are the best, but like you said if there is red in it, it is peeling.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
As said in another post, we have a 2001 Montana and the decals peeled terribly. So, Bob took all but the stripes and name off, buffed and polished the rig and it looks soooo much better.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have a 2005 Mountaineer. My red/maroon colored decals are curling at the tips.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
wschexnaydre

M.O.C. #2860
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ed DeWitt

I have a 2005 3400RL which we love. The only problem (other than the leaking blackwater tank) is that the decals are peeling off. Not all of them, just the ones that are not blue. If they have any red in them at all they look horrible. The "Montana" emblem on the front cap is the worst. The dealer said it is because I waxed them. I told them that is the equivalent of selling a car and telling you you can't wash the windows. Try waxing a unit without touching the decals! Is anyone else having a problem? If so, did Montana do anything for you? I would really appreciate some feedback.
wschexnaydre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
wschexnaydre

M.O.C. #2860
Real good advertisment,I have a 2005 3670RL with peeling decals, all you can do is complain because they will not fix the problem.
wschexnaydre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is an RV industry wide problem not just that of Keystone. I have seen many SOB's in the same condition. I was told by a graphics company that 4 to 6 years is when you will start seeing this peeling. I was also told that there is NO way to prevent it. Waxing, polishing, protectants will not make any difference and were not the cause of your's peeling. Usually it's the nose cap graphics that start first and that is because of the bugs that they get scrubbed the most and the hardest. The graphics dealer that installed my Monty graphics on my TV gave me lots of advise and info. He said the best way to clean the bugs off the nose is first thing in the morning with a good dew. Most, if not all, will come off with no or little elbow grease. If there is no dew than spray heavily the nose with a mixture of Dawn and water and let sit a few minutes. Than with a SOFT bristle brush scrub away the bugs. NEVER use a stiff brush near the graphics.
You may use a high pressure washer but NOT any where near the edge of the graphics.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Maybe I'm just lucky, but the graphics on our 2002 Montana have so far shown no signs of peeling. I clean the front cap after every trip and keep it waxed (right over the graphics, of course). I'm not claiming that the cleaning and waxing is the basis of our good fortune, just reporting a fact. --In use for five full years in May, 2007 --

Oh yes, in the interest of full disclosure: we do keep the Montana in a covered port while at home.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote