Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
kingrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #6577
Trailer Leaf Sping Broke

I have a 2004 2980RL and just had a rear leaf spring break on the right rear axle. I have had Popup, utility trailers, and a previous 5th wheel never had any problems. I bought this unit used and took it to Custom Trailer builder in my that I have worked with in the past and he informed me that my Montana had undersized leaf springs for the trailer weight. These guys build everything from small trailers to 40' horse trailer, as well as toy haulers so I have to trust the assessment. Has anyone else had issues with their Montana's? Lucky for me and my grandkids we had just completed a 1700 mile round trip run, and it broke 1/2 mile from my house on the way back to the storage area. Was able to jack up the frame and thank goodness for those 2x6 boards I carry, was able to get it off the under belly. Thanks for any replys, oh I have had the unit weight to see how close the real weight vs. printed weight and it was really close.

kingrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Not a direct answer to your question, but we had a similar experience with the Jayco Eagle fifth-wheel that we traded in our Montana (five years ago). We think the spring was broken as we drove over some extremely rough railroad tracks that we came upon with very little warning. We had the spring replaced in Colorado Springs and had to pay the whole bill because the trailer (axle assembly) was just out of warranty. We have been very careful about railroad tracks ever since and have had no problem (yet) with our Montana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
kingrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #6577
Thanks David, I'm thinking this was damaged prior to us getting the unit in January, and I looked at everything on this rig except for the springs. I'm thinking it's a 3 year old unit the springs and shocks should be fine. We have had it out on a couple of short trips but this was the first long one, and the only rough road was I-20 from Monroe La. to Vicksburg Ms.

Thanks again Perry
Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I have to admit they don't look very skookum for the job they have to do.
Spring steel is only made to bend so many times and then it breaks. Now trying to figure out how many times it has bent??
That would be a tough job. Might not hurt to change springs every 5 years or so, I guess it depends on how much you use your unit.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Perry, If I=20 on that route would break a spring, I should be in big trouble! I travel that route quite regularly, and just did so on the way to Florida last month. I did try some of old US 80 to see if it might be better. We enjoyed it, especially because of the absence of 18 wheelers, but it's a lot of trouble going through all the little towns, and sections of it are as rough as on I-20. The difference being that we don't travel as fast on 80 as we would on the freeway.

Our 2002 Montana has over 50,000 miles on it and, so far, no trouble with the springs.

Hope you get yours fixed up and on the road.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I suspect there was something wrong with that spring to start with. I've been on this forum for well over four years and I think I remember one other spring failure. So it's not a common problem. I'd bet on a defect in that spring. But, of course, if its out of warranty there's little you can do about that other than replace it, probably on your dime. I don't know if there's a way they can check the remaining springs to see if there's any defects?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A friend of mine has a 2000 Jayco that has has two springs break. He almost killed himself changing one. He was on the road and was forcing a new leaf in the spring and it rebounded on him and hit him right in the mouth. Needless to say, he lost some teeth and now has a large scar across his mouth area. They're no fun to play with. I'm glad I had our axles changed to the Mor-Ryde individual suspension. With these there are no leaf springs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We broke one on our previous TT.. They are not all that expensive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
kingrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #6577
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm having all 4 springs replaced as well as all the hardware and shocks. I'm changing from a 4 leaf to a 5 leaf spring on the recommendation of the shop I took the rig to. I starting to travel more with the grandkids, and just glad this happened close to home with just the wife and I.

Perry
Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck

I had this happen on my Fleetwood Terry 5th wheel...far from home. Temporary lashed to hanger and drove 30mph to campground, ordered new spring pack, installed after waiting weekend in campground.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote