Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Montana Frame Problems

Can anyone tell me what year model Montanas were having the frame-flex problems.
I have a 2002 3255RL with lots of road miles, and so far, I haven't noticed any indication of problems.

I have read numerous posts regarding this issue, and I am having thoughts of getting rid of my Montana before its too late.
I feel sure that Keystone would not fix a 2002 model.

I really like my Montana, so please let me know what you think.
Thank You.

gprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Your 2002 could be involved and could have been fixed. Call Keystone at 866-425-4369. Give them your Monty's VIN number and they can tell you if the upgrade has been made. If it hasn't I believe they will still fix it no charge.

Good luck
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you found this forum as I'm sure you'll get the answers for which you are looking. Our 2004 was out of warranty when Keystone fixed it at the Service Center in Goshen and we didn't pay a dime. They are very good about backing up their product. Glad to hear that you like your Montana so well.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Gprice,
If it is a 2002 model it has either already been fixed or it isn't going to have the problem. Not all models in those years had the problem. So if the rig has been on the road even a small amount of its life and you can't see any cracks then you probably won't ever have the problem.

But Glenn's suggestion is a good one to find out if it has already been fixed.

Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our 2004 had a problem and was fixed at the service centre.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It happens in all models and years prior to about 2006 and maybe in some 2006 models. Keystone fixed our 2003 at no charge. I can't guarantee they still do that, though. I believe the frame warranty is five years.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Thank You for all the replies.

I was just wondering why only "certain" models in those years had the frame problem.

Will Keystone be able to tell me if mine is at risk by the
VIN Number.
I didn't realize all year models were included up to 2006.
Thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi gprice, I have the exact same year/model as you. I too was not aware of this concern when I purchased mine used. I guess I need to check in with Keystone and hope we are Ok.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They can tell you by the vin if the fix has already been applied. If it has not, that leaves you at risk but does not necessarily mean you will have a problem. Some do and some don't. Also, it is on all models for those years.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our previously enjoyed 2000 had a frame flex problem at the front, which we discovered when we were in Goshen. The service center fixed the problem at no charge when we were in Goshen for the rally.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To identify the problem, when you are hitched up and the landing gear has been raised so the weight is on the hitch, check the bottom molding around that upper area, the raised area. If you see a gap or signs of movement, then you may have the problem.

You may not have these but we also saw a gap at the corner where the molding wraps around the lower edge of the coach, bottom of the overhang area. And inside the rig where our dresser met the closet wall you could tell the dresser dropped a quarter inch because it was below the caulk line. When unhitched it met the caulk line and the other gaps were gone.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Thanks again for all this advice.

I was wondering where I would need to take it to have the repairs done.
Would I have to go to Goshen, or could I take it to a local Keystone dealership?
Also, How long do they have to keep the Monty?

GP
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
GP, ours was done in Goshen. Doug Henry (DHenry) just had his done in Oregon (out west somewhere, anyhow) at a Keystone service facility. I've heard that Keystone has for some folks authorized non-Keystone service facilities to do the work and also some Montana dealers. You'd have to check with Keystone as policies may change from time to time. I think I'd want it done by either Keystone or a frame shop I was comfortable knows what they are doing rather than a Montana dealer. Just my opinion, though.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Keystone told me the Vin $ of the 2000 355 I'm buying does apply, that there was no record of the service advisory being completed, and they would reimburse the local dealer, who said to deliver it for the mod. Now, three weeks later, Keystone has reniged [sp], and the dealer will only inspect what can be seen without dropping the pan. What to do? Cancel my purchase? pay for the mod myself? assume all is well and go through with the purchase?? (This may be a repeat entry as the last one didn't show up.)
bsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Who reniged..Keystone customer service or the dealer. Something does not sound right.As for me I would cancel the purchase if the mod is not completed.Have you talked to Keystone Team Montana recently???Without knowing the entire story it sounds strange that Keystone would authorize the mod..then back out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
I talked to Denise at customer service who told me the vin # applied. She said the mod needed to be done, it was authorised and she'd send the advisory, which she did. I met with the asst service manager at the Keystone dealer. He gave me the name of a hauler he uses and asked me to have the unit delivered and that he would shortly have the time to do the mod. Two weeks later he said he would only drop the pan and inspect the unit. I called Denise back and she said they were to inspect the unit and would do the mod only if needed. I asked what criteria would be used. She replied she didn't know, it was up to the dealer. Several days later the asst manager said they had looked at the unit, without dropping the pan, and found no cracks and they could do no more.
I called Team Montana, not identifying myself or the situation, and was told the mod "should be done regardless of whether cracks existed". (note that the service advisory states "use this procedure to retrofit unit with no visible problems or with some cracking in I beam", the exact words). I asked the Jax service manager if he would do the mod if I paid for it. He said no and referred me to Libbert in Ocala. Libbert said they were'nt authorised to ok the work even if I paid. I called Libbert at Goshen and Don told me they had no authority to authorise work, only Keystone could do that. When I repeated I wouldn't insist they pay but would consider paying myself depending on cost, that it was a great unit that I hated to give up, and I hated to renig on my offer to the owner, recently widowed. He said he'd call the Libert office in Ocala and see if they could do the mod, at least "that portion that is required if no cracks exist", and ask how much it might cost. They charge $100 an hour.

Sorry for getting into so much detale but wanted to be explicit. I'm not being critical of Keystone as the unit is a 2000 model and the Jax dealer where it had been purchased had no record that the recall had been forwarded to the owner, as a matter of fact not record of the sale. As I originally told the owner, I wouldn't complete the purchase unless the mod had been done. I just feel badly that the unit has been removed from her property and that its now been more than three weeks that the unit has been off the market. She has, of course, been telling all her callers that the unit was under contract.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Bob,

Something does not feel right about your situation. It sounds like the dealer perhaps is trying to get out of the repairs? (doesn't make sense if he is not paying for it) Everything I have ever heard about Keystone is that they stand behind their product, hence the reason we went with the Montana. I would suggest calling Team Montana and explaining the entire situation to them, just like you did us. If anyone states that the repairs will be done after delivery, get it in writing in triplicate. Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
I screwed up and have made entries in two forum sections. Sorry about that.

Keystone won't do the mod now stating it wasn't necessary and Libbert didn't answer my inquiry; so we won't be buying our Montana. Too bad we really loved the unit.

Now looking for suggestions as to what manufacturers we should consider in our new search for a 4 to 6 year old unit. We won't consider Keystone, not because we think the product is questionable but cause of the 4 week runaround we got.

Maybe Sue and I will come across some of you on the road in the next year or two. We have'nt given up our quest, just delayed. Have appreciated the knowledge I've gained going through all your posts, also the good advice received.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsadams

I screwed up and have made entries in two forum sections. Sorry about that.

Keystone won't do the mod now stating it wasn't necessary and Libbert didn't answer my inquiry; so we won't be buying our Montana. Too bad we really loved the unit.

Now looking for suggestions as to what manufacturers we should consider in our new search for a 4 to 6 year old unit. We won't consider Keystone, not because we think the product is questionable but cause of the 4 week runaround we got.

Maybe Sue and I will come across some of you on the road in the next year or two. We have'nt given up our quest, just delayed. Have appreciated the knowledge I've gained going through all your posts, also the good advice received.
It's obvious to me, having the same model you do, that the present owner doesn't want to sell very bad if he won't either get it fixed or reduce the price by about $2500-3000. It's a great unit, of course I would say that since I have one. Have you tried to get the owner to fix it?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:45 AM   #20
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I have a 2003 3670RL. I found (along with the dealer) that it had 5 broken welds on the curb side and two more on the driver side near the hitch overhang. The dealership NOR the factory had any question whatsoever about fixing it without cost. I just had this done in Nov.-Dec. of 2006. The factory has been very good about this issue.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote