Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Planned layout for undersink area in 3850FL

After some forum member contributions which resulted in me stealing ideas from others, I think I have figured out how we are going to use the undersink storage area in the new rig. We have the smaller Emerson Portable Ice Maker which according to measurements taken by George Person (Jay Bird) should fit nicely beneath the sink. Thanks for the help George! I also plan to install a pull-out sliding 35 quart garbage can as well ($50 at Lowes). After that, I believe I will still have sufficient room for a storage rack for the (four) sink and stovetop covers (Idea stolen from Dieselguy - Thanks!!). With all of that crammed under there, I am thinking there will still be a couple of storage areas for DW to keep some cleaning supplies as well. Here is what I am pondering:

There may have to be some design changes since I have yet to see if there will be an interference from the sinks and the faucet extension flex hose that hangs down. At some point this winter, when everything is completed, will post some pictures. It will be interesting to see if the final product is as envisioned in the design phase.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looks great! Your the first person I've know who can put this much work into a rig that isn't even built yet. The end result will be everyone's dream rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Actually Dick, when we were looking at the Mid-Atl Rally display over and over, some of these features (garbage can) were being envisioned then. Disadvantage of being an engineer is the design phase needs to be verified (at least by me, anyway!)
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Art ... are you planning on leaving the ice maker in there while it's running ... or is that just the travel position? It needs adequate air circulation to effectively make ice and inside the cabinet will not be a "happy place" for it.
And ........ I had to prune down my original version of dividers as the plumbing for the sink drain hangs down quite a bit below the sink itself ... at least on my 3150.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
You are welcome Bingo. The subject states 3750 but folks he is referring to the 3850. The design looks good. Keep these ideas coming and I won't have to think to hard about what to do inside ours.lol
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks George, I fixed it,
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Art ... are you planning on leaving the ice maker in there while it's running ... or is that just the travel position? It needs adequate air circulation to effectively make ice and inside the cabinet will not be a "happy place" for it.
And ........ I had to prune down my original version of dividers as the plumbing for the sink drain hangs down quite a bit below the sink itself ... at least on my 3150.
Not sure where Art went, but...... Yes we are intending to use the ice maker in that location, I really don't think the air circulation will be a problem in that large of an area. It is not like the doors will be air-tight anyway. Another unmentioned aspect of this undersink storage is the back of it is actually a false wall with about 6 inches of space behind it (plumbing I guess) which will add to the overall volume of air available. If it starts having problems, we will plan accordingly, but the main purpose is to get the thing out of the middle of the floor where it has resided in the previous two rigs.
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I dunno where "Art" came from ether ... my alter ego typing ?????????? My apologies Bingo ..... Like said just try it and see, then adjust as needed. We keep the ice maker under the computer desk on a 4" pedestal I made from wood with matching carpeting on its top since we don't really use it as a desk of any measure. I was surprised on the amount of heat that wiffs out from under the desk while it's making ice.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
i don't know much about those things Keystone uses for P traps under the showers. Could you use one of those under the sink and raise the plumbing significantly?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

i don't know much about those things Keystone uses for P traps under the showers. Could you use one of those under the sink and raise the plumbing significantly?
I don't really know. I have to wait until the initial dealer mods (dishdrawer installation) are done so I can see what I have to work with. The supply lines will be branched off of the sink supply lines and the drainage line will be connected into the sink drain which drains to the galley tank. Therefore, I will be dealing with a little more plumbing than usual and will have to adopt a wait and see attitude.
Bingo
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Bingo, on the ice maker, I have the same as you do. If operating in your intended position, it would be interesting to see how you plan to have access to the ice.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave, Here is a picture of the area beneath the sink.

The ice maker would be approximately centered at the double door area on the left next to the drawers. The left cabinet doors are 19 inches high and although I have not measured it, the bottom frame of the cabinet appears to be 3-4 inches high. This should give me a working height of around 21-22 inches. The ice maker is slightly less than 15" high which will give me at least a six inch area above the maker to open the door and access the ice. I may or may not not be able to open the ice maker completely since I don't know if there will be sink bowl interaction (it does not appear so), but I believe there is sufficient room to make it accessible anyway.

Bingo
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Wished I could do the same. I'm looking at modifying the computer desk which is in the entertainment slide on my Mountaineer. It's useless as a computer desk so we use it for the icemaker. The area under it where a chair normally occupies will hold my 3.3 cu.ft. Dorm Type refer so I could get all the drink stuff in one area.

I think your idea is really doable. Tight, but doable.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Wished I could do the same. I'm looking at modifying the computer desk which is in the entertainment slide on my Mountaineer. It's useless as a computer desk so we use it for the icemaker. The area under it where a chair normally occupies will hold my 3.3 cu.ft. Dorm Type refer so I could get all the drink stuff in one area.

I think your idea is really doable. Tight, but doable.