Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Yellow Diesel Containers...

Maybe it’s just me but I casually mentioned to a fellow worker the other day about picking up a couple of the yellow diesel cans at a Lowe’s store. He told me they were a piece of junk and they wouldn’t pour. Well I tried to empty one of the cans today after it had been filled up with diesel fuel and I know what he was talking about. I already had this preconceived idea I guess that it wasn’t going to work. I really didn’t expect it to be as difficult as what it turned out to be.

The nozzle has a lock and un-lock position on it. I kept trying without success to push in on the nozzle and catch it in an unlocked position so I could continue the task at hand but it simply wouldn’t work for me. I just couldn’t keep it in an open position for it to work.

Finally I got the D/W to look at it with me and she looks at the label on the side of the can first, explaining that you had to tip it up and it had a hook that had to be caught on the side of the tank or whatever you were pouring it into. It simply rested on the side of the tank and the weight of the can kept it open while filling.

I suppose it would help if I would have looked at the instructions to begin with but being a man I decided I could figure it out. I learned a long time ago to listen to the D/W but sometimes my manly ways get in the road and cause more frustration than necessary.
It’s great to be married to such a great partner!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
All the new gas cans are a PITA. Gotta love it when government makes your decisions for you.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
All the new plastic fuel containers are junk, gas or diesel. Need four hands to operate. Look for older containers at auctions or search for an after market pour system to replace the original pour system. I go my son a couple of good metal cans at an auction and we painted them yeller just in case he gets stopped by the diesel fuel can inspector.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bill once you figure it out they work great until that little hook breaks off.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
I have the same issue with the 5 gallon gasoline cans. I bought one before the new nozzle and it works great. I have a 1 acre lawn so I am going through the gasoline during the summer and I like to have a spare can in case I get low. The second came with "the new and improved design". Who over designed it obviously doesn't have to use it and the regulation behind is asinine. I swap the old nozzle to the one I am currently using to refuel from. Wish I had bought two in the beginning.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While down at Quartzite I picked up two 2 1/2 gallon and one 5 gallon gas cans for the Honda generators. All three had the new valve setup on them that are a 90 degree pour spout with a push bottom dispensing button on them. Best thing I've ever had. There's no spilling of the gas as you fill the gennies and no need to put a cap back on the pour spout either since it is sealed when the button is not pushed. I'm going to be looking for more of them for the farm and also the same valve on diesel cans if I can find them. I've got three of the other cans like you're describing and will trade them to anyone that wants them for the older cans and not government controlled!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I reckon Rondo needs to give online classes as to how to get these PITA "gubberment mandated" fuel can spouts to work. I seldom had issue with the old spouts ... pull them out ... open the vent cap and fill your tank. Now I spill more than I get in the tank and on small engines fear I'll eventually damage the tank as you have to really bear down to get the spout to depress. Try using one of these to attempt to fill your jetski at the lake. Try one on your chainsaw! Like others ... I've hit the garage sales and stocked up on fuel cans from a by-gone era.

On edit: I see Rondo talks of an entirely different spout. Unless it's a top fill tank, I can see trouble with the 90 degree spout as in not emptying the whole can.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is what I used to use befor I got my Transfer tank.they work real good and empty real quick check out to see if the filler hose is seperate, also any good motor cycle shop sells them too no shipping if you know what I mean.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Jerry-Can.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cessories.aspx

Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I posted this as humor on me to begin with where I didn’t follow the instructions on the side of the can. However, I wasn’t aware of the regulatory changes that had been implemented. After I learned how to use it I noticed how much easier it was to fill a tank without spilling any fuel. I’ve only used it once and I can see where it would be safer.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You must have different ones than Wallmart was selling last year. By the time you get them to pour, trying to use both hands your filling your shoes. Now I check the garage sales for old ones, but no one is dumb enough to get rid of them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I got my new PITA gas can to fill the generator. I invented new words trying to get it to work, and that was after reading the instructions on the can. The fuel can does not have enough weight to keep the gas flowing, so I beat the nozzle into submission by breaking that green twist lock. Now I shove the nozzle back into the can and pull it back out when done filling. Problem solved.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I went to self priming siphon hose. I like it a lot.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are not a problem to use IF you can read and understand. The new cans are a safety device to protect us against ourselves.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
TrailerTrash.. are these off road cans self burping? I tried to modify one of the newer type cans that are now everywhere.. but they don't have a vent.. so, it's a PITA.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Here is what I used to use befor I got my Transfer tank.they work real good and empty real quick check out to see if the filler hose is seperate, also any good motor cycle shop sells them too no shipping if you know what I mean.

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GreatWhite

TrailerTrash.. are these off road cans self burping? I tried to modify one of the newer type cans that are now everywhere.. but they don't have a vent.. so, it's a PITA.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Hi greatwhite at the top of the bottle is a small plastic vent cap that vents the bottle off, if you want to regulate the flow just put your thumb over the hole and it will almost stop the flow, it will empty the 5 gal tank in less than a min. I have had mine sence I was riding my 250R honda 3 wheeler in 81, I used yellow because it was a mix blend oil and gas, the 4 strokes would not run with that mix so my kids wouldn't grab the wrong can for a refil it was yellow.
now it works for diesel how lucky is that. Im stopping I dont want Bill think I was hijacking his post. by
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I was going to get a couple new 5 gallon diesel cans but they all had the new spouts. I found a site (EZ-POUR) on line that looks like it would work. I was just going to buy the new cans, throw away the goofy spouts and order the new spouts.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
Drill a 1/4" hole on the back of the handle to let it breathe, then when done stick a golf tee in the hole. Works great! My way of beating government regulations
Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote