Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
No Truck 12 volt feed to Trailer

Recently when we bought our fifth wheel the battery was nearly dead and we could not hitch without connecting to 120vac. We had no 12v power even when the 120v power was connected. We connected the cable to the truck (with truck running) and still no 12v power. They installed a new converter and still no power. They eventually realized that the dogbone connector to the cable was bad so I got a new converter. But they checked the cable plug connector from the truck and said I had no 12volt power from the truck to trailer. I do have trailer lights and brakes. This may have been this way since I bought the truck and had hitch installed in 2003. Is this possible? When driving what uses 12 volts in the trailer besides the refridgerator? How would I fix this?

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5ER

Recently when we bought our fifth wheel the battery was nearly dead and we could not hitch without connecting to 120vac. We had no 12v power even when the 120v power was connected. We connected the cable to the truck (with truck running) and still no 12v power. They installed a new converter and still no power. They eventually realized that the dogbone connector to the cable was bad so I got a new converter. But they checked the cable plug connector from the truck and said I had no 12volt power from the truck to trailer. I do have trailer lights and brakes. This may have been this way since I bought the truck and had hitch installed in 2003. Is this possible? When driving what uses 12 volts in the trailer besides the refridgerator? How would I fix this?
Not sure of Ford but on GM Products you need to install fuse that they give you.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Most likely you are missing the fuse in the main fuse box that is located under the hood. Get out you owners manual and look to see where it is located.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
They replaced the fuse because it was blown. I don't know if they replaced the wrong fuse or there is another one.

Kdeiss, We are moving to Pittsburgh near Monongahela (Carroll Twp)so my wife can be closer to her Doctors and I am originally from Pittsburgh.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5ER

They replaced the fuse because it was blown. I don't know if they replaced the wrong fuse or there is another one.

Kdeiss, We are moving to Pittsburgh near Monongahela (Carroll Twp)so my wife can be closer to her Doctors and I am originally from Pittsburgh.
Welcome back Home we are in Robinson Twp Exit 60 I 79
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Roger & Brenda: From the Ford Motor company web site, the owner's manual for F350 (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../03f23og5e.pdf ), page 180 -- it shows that there is a 20 amp fuse in position 115 and it is called the "Trailer Tow Battery Charge"; this is the line that would be active to charge the battery in your trailer while going down the road. Looking at the diagram it appears that that is the 3rd fuse, bottom row, from the left of the fuse box.

Hope this helps.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Rodger,

Here is what I posted a few weeks back... might help. I use to have Irish Wolf Hound... great dogs with children.

Quote:
quote:When I went to pick up my Monty after spending 3 weeks at Camping World for warranty work, the battery was dead. They didn't turn the battery disconnect off, and left it out in the snow. Since the battery was so far gone, the fuse on the truck blew because it exceeded the amps. There is a Maxie fuse (fuse box behind air filter). They are not label so you need to get the Owners manual out to find the correct one. I went to Autozone, and they were all out of 30A Maxie fuses, so I had to buy combo box which had the fuse in it. The box also had a fuse puller and tested (neat little tool), which will tell you if the fuse is good without removing it.

As someone else said on the Ford, there is a relay and relay fuse under and to left of steering wheel. But the Maxie fuse protects the wire, and it sounds like to me you have a blown Maxie fuse. A dead or really low battery, will blow that fuse pretty quick, which is what happened to me. I carry an extra now. With the engine running, and no lights or brakes on, you should have only one pin that is hot on the plug (about 1pm if key is up.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You need the trailer fuse and the small (approx. 1" x 1" x 1") relay. The 12 volt DC will only be at the trailer plug with the engine running.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We had the same problem with our Sierra. It turned out that the wire wasn't connected at the fusebox. Once I straightened that out, all has been good.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I just bought a 2006 GMC K3500 CC DRW LB and it has the factory plug on the hitch.My problem is I don't have 12 volts on the plug.I here I have to put a fuse in the fuse block under the hood.My question is ,is it stud #1,because it dosen't have a fuse in it.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My 2003 and 2005 Fords came from the factory with the fuse installed. So did my 2007 Dodge. If GM, then you have to install the fuse. In any case, if the fuse and relay are good then there is another problem because the Ford should have 12v at the plug right from the factory. We've even done what you tried to do, run the landing gear with a dead coach battery by connecting the umbilical to the truck and running the engine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote