Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
2000 Montana 355 frame cracks

I'm in the process of buying a private party Montana 2000 355 but have just heard a couple horror stories about frame cracks. Anyone have info?

bsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Bob,
I've given you my input on this matter and I'm sure you'll get many others. You are looking at the same model that we've been living in fulltime since November 2000.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
A I understand it there were a few units that had a problem with frame cracks around the spring hangers on the early units. This was addressed by Keystone with a reinforcing kit and installation at no charge. My uderstanding is that they did this for all models that could possibly be affected wether they actually had a problem or not. I suggest you contact the Montana Division of Keystone with the VIN number of the unit you're interested in and ask if the retrofit has been ompleted.

I think I still have in my files the paperwork and installation instructions on the particular models involved in this recall if you need more information.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
SUBSAILOR
Established Member

M.O.C. #6943
Bought our Montana last yr, new. Having problems with one of the kitchen sinks leaking. Also shower leaks. The front jack motor doesn't like it when we raise the front. Anyone else having that same problem. We are on the way "home" & will take it back for Warranty work at Gresham RV.
SUBSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Orv Just thought I'd check with the rest. Thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well yes our front sink leaked. There are a half dozen places it might leak, Where does yours leak. Yes the shower drains might leak..there are more than one place they might leak,,where does yours leak. The front jack issue is to vague. What do you mean by "Doesn't like it" If you can be more specific on the issues someone may be able to give some advise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bob A,

Back in 99 the 8 inch frames were giving problems with reported frame cracking at the spring hangers. Montana come out with Service advisory 00-8 to re-enforce the hangers and perform inspections on the frame. They performed this even on out of warranty units such as mine which I bought used. It was a great fix making the hangers stronger than new models.

Per above write down the Vin number and contact Team Montana to see if Safety Advisory 00-8 had been performed. They track it by VIN number. Ask them if they would still perform the service if the service had not been performed. It is possible they might.

A tell tail sign to look for is re-enforcement of the front and rear spring hangers on both sides. Each hanger has triangulated steel plates (3) There is also a Steel bar that runs horizontally to left side and right side spring hangers.

If you want I can send the advisory to you just PM me with your e-mail address. Make sure it is not blocked by spam protection.

tom
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Really appreciate everyone's info. Keystone confirmed the unit I'm buying is envolved and the Jax dealer is installing the fix. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks for the info Bob. It means Keystone is still fixing our old units, After it is completed it will probably be a good buy. If they do what is in the Service Advisory I sent you, it will be extremly strong at the wheels. You can inspect it from your own copy.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Appreciated all the info on the cracks. The Jax dealer is now dragging his feet. He's "too busy" with the new sales. Keystone may help. We will see. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone had problems with weld failures in the area of the kingpin? hidden by fiberglass?Several reported this problem at another forum site.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsadams

Appreciated all the info on the cracks. The Jax dealer is now dragging his feet. He's "too busy" with the new sales. Keystone may help. We will see. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone had problems with weld failures in the area of the kingpin? hidden by fiberglass?Several reported this problem at another forum site.
As you know, we have the identical model that you're looking at. We experienced NO frame welds breaking.

Orv
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have a 2000 3255RL that we bought previously enjoyed. When we were at the rally in Goshen we discovered we had frame flex in the front of the unit. Keystone took the front cap off to reinforce the frame, and in the process they also reinforced the welds around the king pin because they were cracking. I think I would have that checked out, just to be on the safe side.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Keystone changed its mind and will not do the work called for by the service advisory, although a Team Montana service person says its needed whether there are cracks or not. The dealer inspected that portion of the frame thats visible without dropping the underbelly pan and states no cracks were seen. I am very hesitant to buy the unit without at least a complete inspection or, maybe, the completion of the modification. The dealer will do no more.

I really hate to lose the unit and also to renig on the purchase, although I did tell the seller, who's the original buyer, that I wouldn't go through with the purchase if the advisory wasn't completed. I wonder how much it would cost if I payed for it myself? How big a risk do I take if I accept the unit without the mod? The dealer took 3 weeks to decide not to perform the frame modification; so I'm beginning to run out of time.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's a shame that Keystone said they won't repair it. (????) I wouldn't buy it unless the original owner has it fixed first and I'd hold him to the original price. Keystone has been good to most of us and I think that if the original owner would call Keystone he might get action. Especially important for him to take some kind of action if he wants to sell the unit. Other "2nd owners" have gotten results from Keystone, but in your case, make him fix it.

Orv
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #15
bsadams
Established Member

M.O.C. #6905
Well, the owners son again contacted Keystone and Mike confirmed they would not do the mod claiming it wasn't necessary. Of course, that directly contradicts what Denise had said. As I told the seller, I won't buy the unit without the mod, so am having it delivered back to the owner. If only the Jax Keystone dealer hadn't told us they could promptly do the mod and Denise hadn't told me they would authorise it. I asked Libbert at Keystone to check with the Ocala facility to see if they would do it if I paid for it. Of course no answer there either. At 100 bucks an hour it wouldn't be feasable for me anyhow. Its been almost a month of runaround now. I feel badly for the owner and discouraged enough so I'd have a hard time buying any Keystone product. Its too bad, the wife and I really loved that Montana.

I've enjoyed the Montana forum and have really appreciated the information and advice. I've learned a lot from going through all the stuff you guys talk about.

I'd appreciated any advice concerning what manufacturers to avoid and what units would make a good purchase on 3 to 5 year old units. How about top of the line 7 or 8 years old? We haven't go a lot of money.

Ols 1932, I'm also retired AF.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bob,

There are a lot us Retired AF here. I think you are smart for not buying the unit. But if you do buy it, have the frame re-enforced in similiar fashion to the advisory that I sent you. A good welding shop can do it. They are good rigs but it is not worth taking a chance in my opinion. I would estimate a minimum of 1000 to do the advisory. 8 hrs plus 3-400 in parts.

Thanks for the info about Keysone not repairing the older rigs anymore. I guess they drew the line on this repair.