Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
2017 3611 Questions

Now, it looks like it will be a 3611 with residual frig. I have searched several rv sites to learn about the frig. Still will appreciate any advice before we go off on a long trip. The rig has a 1,000 watt inverter and supposedly it will keep things cold on a 6 to 8 hour trip. Some say to turn off the ice maker and change to economy mode. Not sure if our rig will have those features. Also, is the frig accessible with slides in? I want to hear from you in addition to the salesman. The dealer doesn't have one in stock and one was already on order. So, we haven't seen one except on websites. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Congratulations on your new trailer.
The refer is in the same location as the 3610, so I imagine if you can get the one side open will be all. Our rig (3610)has 4-6 volt batteries, if I was running a residential fridge on an inverter I wouldn't want less. I was told they would run a refrigerator 12 or more hrs. You're going to love the floorplan.

Mark
Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

Now, it looks like it will be a 3611 with residual frig. I have searched several rv sites to learn about the frig. Still will appreciate any advice before we go off on a long trip. The rig has a 1,000 watt inverter and supposedly it will keep things cold on a 6 to 8 hour trip. Some say to turn off the ice maker and change to economy mode. Not sure if our rig will have those features. Also, is the frig accessible with slides in? I want to hear from you in addition to the salesman. The dealer doesn't have one in stock and one was already on order. So, we haven't seen one except on websites. Thanks,
We have the 2015 model 3611 RL. I guess that is the same as the one you are referring to. The frig is easy to get to without opening a slide. We have traveled over 8 hrs and the frig is still purring like a kitten. Ours came with 2 #24 12v batteries. Seems to me they should have at least put in #27's since they know these batteries will be used all day while traveling. After you disconnect from shore power you go into baggage area and turn on inverter before you hit the road. When hooked up again to shore power just turn off inverter and frig automatically switches over with no interruption. I cannot speak about ice maker because we did not want that feature. I know one thing,,,I have never seen ice cream as hard as this freezer keeps it and i have it on highest setting(+8). Great floor plan with plenty of room for guest to eat and play cards. Recently had 8 people in ours for food and games several times . Have had minor issues with thetford commode not holding water so after replacing thetford and it also leaked they finally replaced with Dometic 310. its good. Had a squealing slide and it was adjusted just this week and seems to be good. Nothing major. We know you will love floor plan. Enjoy.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I think I need to learn how to spell "residential" first thing!!!! I can't believe I did that!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #5
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I have a model 3791RD with residential fridge. With your inverter on you are using your "house" batteries to run your fridge. But remember, while you are towing, your truck alternator is continuously topping off the charge on those batteries. As long as your "house" batteries are getting that charge it doesn't matter how many hours your trip is. As far as the ice maker goes, the only ice you will make while towing is from residual water in that line. (unless your fresh water tank is full and you have your pump turned on) I recommend turning off the ice maker just in case.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
As others have said, you'll love the residential fridge. On a 10 hr. trip to Florida, no problems at all. We chose not to have the ice maker hooked up, just due to the hassle of having to winterize it. Two old-fashioned ice trays keep us in plenty of ice. We went to downsize from our 3465 to a 3160, but came home with a foot longer 3611, and love it. JT.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
The one the dealership had already ordered before we talked trade doesn't have the Legacy package. What are your opinions on this upgrade and approximate cost extra. We may order one exactly as we want. Now the one ordered is not totally unacceptable. The dealer will change the theater seats to Laz-Boy recliners. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
To me, the Legacy pkg. was worth it. Now that said, I am under the impression the 2017 Legacy models come with that tablet wireless In c
Command thing that I do not care for, although I didn't give it a good look.
The solid wood face frames on the cabinetry was the main thing with me being a cabinet maker, the rear cap, and other stuff is just a bonus.
We plan on full timing in a year or so and didn't want the vinyl finish coming off the cabinet frames. I can repair stain/lacquer.
Just my .02 cents

Mark
Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
I forget what all comes in the Legacy package but I think in our 2015 3611 it was the day night shades, which we really like, and the quiet AC unit in the living area which makes a huge difference as less noise from the fan on the AC.
Also I just like the look of the rear cap more so than the flat back.
As for the fridge we have two 12 volt batteries and have not had any problems with the inverter not keeping things cold or running down the batteries, also didn't hook up the ice maker for the hassle of winterizing, but you need to turn off the ice maker on the screen or it will beep to tell you its not working
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 AM   #10
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
type residential fridge or inverter in the search block at the top of the page. I have written many threads on my experiences with ours.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:50 AM   #11
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Looks like we will be purchasing the 2017 3611 that arrived at our dealership this week. We toured it before the dealer had gone thru correcting things. We are requiring two group 27 batteries, upgraded shades, insect screens and may switch out theater seating for two Laz-E-Boy recliners (dealer has agreed to do this). What else should we be looking at before signing the contract. The theater seats were powered but didn't work. Not a fan of "powered" but can you use them w/o power? We may stay with theater seats - not sure. We noticed some water in the pass thru storage area. The latches on the storage doors don't look as good as those on our 3400 and it leaks! We did not go with the Legacy package because of the cost and the recent price increase on new orders. We do have concerns on the strength of the storage shelves in the kitchen. Anyone strengthen them? We had to do that on our first camper (SOB}. We will appreciate any advise.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The power for the theater seats is for the heat, the recliner mechanism is manual. So the answer to your question about the seats working without power is yes and no..

Mark
Old 05-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Congratulations on the new unit. Most (not all) of the people that get the residential fridge are not boondockers. If you plan on camping at mostly RV parks, no problem. For us in the mountains that do a lot of boondocking, we really like the RV fridge. As for the Legacy package, you get the solid wood cabinets, upgraded suspension, MQD shades and the molded back cab. I think they stopped putting in heated floors in the bath. If you look at the list price and figure your percentage off of list, it is worth it to us. We also love the theatre seating. We no longer have to wrestle the chairs around into position. And last, you haven't even touched about the important elephant in the room. Tires. If you haven't considered the G Series upgrade, please consider either getting them as part of the deal or at your tire dealer. Goodyear G614's and Sailun's are the most popular with MOC members. The 3611 is too heavy for an LT tire. Also consider getting a TPMS system if you don't have one. Safe travels.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:16 AM   #14
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
The unit has GY614s on it. I wouldn't leave the dealer lot without those! We have a TPMS. We don't boondock unless in emergency or because of problems. We are keeping the theater seats. DW likes not having to move and tie down the recliners. She does the inside and I do the outside stuff when setting up or taking down. We negotiated the installation of the upgraded MCD day/night shades. The 2017 doesn't have the clothes "hamper" or seat in the bedroom. You have access to the storage area where the washer/dryer fits without going through the closet for hanging clothes.

Some more questions:

Okay to leave the inverter on all the time except while in extended storage? I assume you may want to turn the frig off.
Can you view the Furrion backup camera while traveling?
Anyone understand the increased hitch weight compared to my 3400? They are supposedly approximately the same dry weight.

Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-29-2016, 02:35 AM   #15
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
Compared to our 3465, the axle is set rearward nearly 2 feet. I think this was done so the axles wouldn't have to be upgraded, putting more weight on the pin. JT
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
The axles are "back" approximately 7 inches compared to my old 3400. We have not picked up the 3611 since dealer is installing the MCD day/night shades that have to be ordered so stopped in to do the measurements. This is from the very front of the moryde king pin to the axles. The 3611 is approximately 7" longer from front to rear compared to the 3400. According to Montana brochure the axles are 7,000 lbs on the 3611 as are the ones on the 3400.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #17
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I measured the distance last night in a drizzle. Well, measured several times this morning. There is two feet difference from very front to back tire edge on pad. This measurement needed since my pad does not go back any farther. May have to extend concrete pad to park new camper. I stand corrected! "Measure twice before you open your mouth or opine on this forum".

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
Sohio
Established Member

M.O.C. #8596
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

The unit has GY614s on it. I wouldn't leave the dealer lot without those! We have a TPMS. We don't boondock unless in emergency or because of problems. We are keeping the theater seats. DW likes not having to move and tie down the recliners. She does the inside and I do the outside stuff when setting up or taking down. We negotiated the installation of the upgraded MCD day/night shades. The 2017 doesn't have the clothes "hamper" or seat in the bedroom. You have access to the storage area where the washer/dryer fits without going through the closet for hanging clothes.

Some more questions:

Okay to leave the inverter on all the time except while in extended storage? I assume you may want to turn the frig off.
Can you view the Furrion backup camera while traveling?
Anyone understand the increased hitch weight compared to my 3400? They are supposedly approximately the same dry weight.

Thanks,
On the back up camera, on ours you can view it while traveling if the running lights are on. That's where ours gets its power from.