Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Getting a little freaked out

Maybe it's the stressful week I had. Maybe it's just my neuroses. I've been reading the MOC and all the problems people have had (leaking/flooding toilets, hoses pinching in the slide, propane leaks, propane theft, etc.). Our previous SoB that we had for 10 years didn't give us a single day of trouble. Now I'm worried our luck will run out.

Tomorrow we're leaving for the North Georgia mountains for a week. Please respond and tell me if you haven't had any major problems with your Montana. I really need to stop worrying and start relaxing!

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Remember that people often post about problems seeking solutions from the membership. There's a ton of experience out there that can help (and often do!)
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I have not had one problem with my 2006, that i didn't cause.
Relax and enjoy.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Where abouts in N Ga? Ware headed to Ft Mountain for the holiday .
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I have a 2010 and yes have had some small problems, nothing that I couldn't fix myself. Three years before the toilet acted up and replaced that, I guess that was the biggest problem from a manufacture's point. Trailers are not maintenance free, no matter what brand. Good luck on your trip and stay safe.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
Nobody posts that they have a problem-free unit. It makes boring reading. If you think about the number of units out there (60,000 - 70,000)(or MOC members - 12,000+) and compare that to the number of people that report problems, I am sure the vast majority (like me) have had minimal issues.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Own a 2005 and have had only one problem. remote controlled furnace,since then no worries
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
2007 bought new. Amazing how few problems we have had with it in all those years. There, now I am boring.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I almost hate posting how little trouble we've had for fear of jinxing myself but after over a year of fulltime use we've only had minor issues that I've been able to fix myself in 30 minutes or less on average. I too freaked when I read some of the posts on here and thought I made a mistake and should have bought the SOB that we almost purchased. Honestly this unit has been good to us so far. The only major issue to date was a failed aftermarket inverter/charger from Magnum but they replaced it w/o issue and that had nothing to do with Keystone. Of course I'm still waiting for frame flex and failed tanks maybe we'll get lucky and it'll skip our rig.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had a couple of major problems from the factory, but Keystone made it right with no muss or fuss. Then three years of full timing and very few problems considering the number of miles and bad roads. If you check on other forums you'll find that initial problems can be huge, even on high dollar class A motorhomes and ongoing issues caused by living in a rolling earthquake are very common no matter the brand or how much you pay. Relax and enjoy your Montana. You got a great deal for your money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hey Napria RELAX!!Yep it is true that alot people have posted problems with their rig, but myself personaly I have posted many times how happy we have been with our 2012 Monty that was NEVER in for warranty work just one bad toilet (replaced myself) as a matter of fact I got a $1800.00 REFUND in the mail because I never made a claim on my 2012 extended warranty and my 2015 has been trouble free EXCEPT for the toilet again and a broken dining room seat cushion read other SOB forums and you will read the same stuff,We love our Montana and are very happy with our choice
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
RVs are like boats and cars. Many components from hundreds of manufacturers. All RV's use many of the exact products. Refrigerators, Air and heating units. These items can go bad. I recently was invited into a $1,5 million dollar Newel Motorcoach. I was shocked at how many familiar fixtures appeared. Behind the Granite and imported leather were many items used in my Montana. Things break, items can be poorly made before installed. The difference is, how the manufacturer handles the customers. In my opinion, Keystone does customer service better than most. My friend with the Newel had large punch list. So relax you bought an RV that is still has a higher resale than most. Last you don't hear very often about wheels falling off at 65 mph, or unit burning to ground parked in driveway. Leaking toilets, sticking doors, can I do happen in stick homes. Just listen to people, learn and perhaps be more viligent and observant.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thanks everyone!

Devildog, we're going to Dillard. We've never been there before, but heard wonderful things about the place we're staying, River Vista Mountain Village RV Resort. We'll take some day trips from there to the Biltmore Estate and Helen. Never been to the Biltmore, but my husband and daughter love Helen.

As for the problems, I know well that RVs do have 'em. I also realize people post problems for all the knowledge there is here. I started to tell my husband to watch out for this and look out for that. Because of this forum we've already changed out our tires and gotten a TPS. Our SOB was very well made, but not produced for many years before the recession made it an orphan brand. So we had a user forum, but nothing like this. And mostly we talked about where to get replacement parts and meeting up. So yes, I do realize the sheer volume of people who own Montana's and post here is going to skew things. And don't get me wrong, I think it's invaluable that people are posting problems and solutions. Just wanted to hear that it's possible to have a mostly trouble free Montana... And I see that it is!

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm going to go bake a pumpkin pie now to bring with us on our trip
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Two Montanas, 2008 & 2012. Only 1 minor glitch with each.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We don't see our two years of experience in our Big Sky as being any different than our experience when we owned our stick house. On occasion components break and have to be fixed or components fail and have to be replaced. Sometimes this stuff happens because "things happen" and sometimes it's because we've done something wrong. As with the house, routine maintenance and keeping an eye out for potential problems will minimize the chance for failure.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:04 AM   #16
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We bought our 3000RK new February 2008, anniversary present. After over 25,000 miles towing and some 400 days living in it part time I can report only a few minor problems, which can't even remember. Nothing is worry free, but this is certainly more worry free than the other 9 RV's we have owned.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

...Remember that people often post about problems seeking solutions from the membership...
Quite true. We don't make posts saying, "my refer worked fine today," but will will post "my refer quit on propane, any suggestions?"
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:22 AM   #18
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We had our Montana a year and a half, had very few problems compared to other RV's we owned. Only major problem we had was when a semi clipped the rear corner
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
[quote]Originally posted by K0LCB

We had our Montana a year and a half, had very few problems compared to other RV's we owned. Only major problem we had was when a semi clipped the rear corner
[/quot

How did Keystone handle that?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We are on our second Montana and no problem with them.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote