Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
SOS Anyone with a model #3700 Montana

Help!
Our main cable driven slide (the only one) cables are breaking while trying to put out the slide. We have slide toppers and it looks like they are stretching and not allowing the slide to go out only on one end. Question? Besides driving it over a cliff...would you cut the topper off? We are 70 miles to the nearest dealer, so may be stopping there tomorrow to have them take a look at it.
We have had these cables repaired four times already and can't wait until the Rally to have Keystone look at it.

KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Slide toppers provide some resistance to movement of the slide but not enough to bind the slide as you describe. I think Dick had to have his taken out because the clearances were incorrect and others needed to be adjusted. Can you use it with the slide in until you can have it repaired.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Have you checked for a bad or loose cable guide?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Have the 3725, but same slide. In addition to the cable guide, check the cable for kinks and being too loose. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Coleen posted photos on Facebook. Her cables are fraying, badly. Her slide topper is all wrinkled, not rolling up smoothly.

We have not heard from her today, if she wants, I can post the photos here for her, she will scream at me if she wants me to!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Update on our cable situation. Ray called Keystone and spoke with Michelle. They realize it has been an ongoing problem with our unit. She told us since it is out of warrantee, they will have to review the situation after it is diagnosed by a dealer. We stopped at our dealership, Four Seasons, here in Kansas and they did not like what they saw. The slide topper is not the problem, but it has it's own. The dealer told us not to try to put out the slide and feels the pulley has a glitch in it and is shredding the cable. After checking our records this is the 5th incident, not the 2nd as I stated earlier. All of the cables being replaced on the same side. One time the top, one time the bottom and the next two being both with the last being at the factory last year after the Rally!
Now the next step....The dealership has a set of cables and are waiting on a special tool that they say they have to have to crimp the connecter that attaches to the bracket to the slide. They can't get us in until next week but they are going to have to hear back from Keystone to see who is going to be responsible! I am calling Michelle this morning as we are not very happy. With this slide in we can not access half our unit.
Carol you have permission to post the pictures so fellow MOCers can see what we are dealing with.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Photos, Coleen and Ray can explain them.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Thank you Carol for posting the photos above. These are showing where the cables are shredding on the top and bottom of our cable driven slide. It's the same side that we have had repaired four other times since we have had this RV. These are what pull our slide in and out and we were told yesterday to NOT put the slide out as they are on the verge of breaking. This being said and told by our RV dealer. They called Keystone and I did as well this morning and I'm pretty sure they will be taking care it. We have determined that the pulley system could be defective and they will know more once they pull the slide trim off. Problem one, we can't access none of our drawers and half our closets when the slide is in. Problem two, they can't get us in to repair until next week. If it had been closer to the Rally in Goshen, we would be paying Keystone a visit! But with Dr. visits and a son's wedding approaching that is not going to happen any time soon.
I would recommend anyone with one or more of these slides to keep an eye on your cables.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
I have not posted anything for awhile about our Frame Flex issue but here we go again, my cable on my 3800 bedroom slide frayed due to Frame Flex, the Slide frame was moving up and down rubbing against the cable, hopefully you do not have this problem as a few on here have.......just my 2cents worth.........
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Coleen and Ray, so sorry to hear about your continued issues. Just another reason Keystone will have problems selling us a new rig till they get their cable slides to work or give up on the idea. This isn't the only forum where Keystone cable slides are having problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote