Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Passport America

Im thinking about signing up for "Passport America", are any of you folks, members past or present , and if so how did you like or dislike it. Any expierences you wish to share?

mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We think it's well worth the money.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have been members for several years. The biggest drawback for us are the restrictions for high use like Florida.
Most of the parks here in Fla. won't take it in the winter and if they do it is for very limited nights but I still get my money back using it the other times of the year. If you join through Camping World it is $39.95 for the year.
If you decide to join mention my number and I will get a discount on renewal 46626.
If you travel much you will get your money back many times.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Try it, see how it works out for you.

CountryGuy says we got our $$ back, we used it a few times out west, it did not suit our travel plans much in the east. We are not the type that will travel 20 miles off the highway to get a $10.00 discount for a night.

Go to their web site, believe without being members you can look at the campgrounds that offer the discounts, will they fit in with your travel plans??

It is what works for YOU!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Its not the cost,it was, how are the camp grounds, are they ok or do they tell you, you have to take the crummy site cause your paying half price. And I do live in the east, and I have checked the camp sites they list. It just sounds to good, I mean half price on a 50 dollar a night stay is great, thats what made me think do you get the same treatment as someone who pays the full cost or are you back burner pots and pans.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been members for years and recoup our annual dues with just two or three nights of staying in P.A. parks.

You'll find some of the parks are very nice, some are pits, and many are middle of the road. Since there usually are restrictions on length of stay, as noted above, we normally use PA for when we're paying daily rates. However, there are a few parks that extend that discount beyond the daily rate. We stayed in a park at Greeley Hill, CA, for two weeks at the PA rate and that parks gives you that rate for as long as you want to stay. At least they did at that time. Another park, in Gettysburg, PA, gives you the rate for up to 5 consecutive nights. Then you pay a night of the regular rate and then can get another 5 nights at the PA price.

Bottom line for us is we use it mostly for our overnight stays and sometimes for stays of a few days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We have been members for years and recoup our annual dues with just two or three nights of staying in P.A. parks.
Same here.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
We have used it for several years. I don't believe you are treated any differently as far as sites etc. go but we did have one park recently that in the book said they didn't honor it until March but you could call and they might if they have room. When I called I was told no and I asked if they were full. The response was no but why the h*** should he give it to me for half price when he can fill it for full price? Needless to say we will never darken their park with our presense. Keep in mind you pretty much get what you pay for. We have stayed in many nice parks for 15/20 dollars a night.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
The restrictions in S. California in the winter were annoying but we joined while south this winter and got three or four times our money back just in the month and a half we were members. I give it a thumbs up.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We have been members for about 5 years. We always get our money back within a week of being on the road (in the west). I haven't tried to use them in the east preferring Resort Parks International.

We have been in high-end resorts and small barely useable parks. We pick a park we want to use then check it out with Woodalls and Trailer Life Directory them make our decision.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Also a member and if you travel you will get your money back very quick. when we were using only a few CGs a year it was not that good. in pigeon forge you can stay at creekside rv park and the owner will give it to you for weeks at a time. good deal for most folks. JMHO.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I've been a long time member, there are good and bad parks. I look first at Passport parks for sites using there phone app, then I will go to RVPark reviews to check out the campground. If the reviews are bad I look for some other park. This is a bit of work but we always plan ahead.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Ok folks, as usual I have Gleemed alot of info from your responses and have decided that were going to sign up for Passport Amercia. Now my next question will be about water pumps so keep and eye out for that one. Thanks TNT
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We use it as we travel and have had pretty good success - have always gotten back more than the price. Just be sure you read the fine print when planning - some parks only allow a visit during certain months, specific weekdays, restrictions on length of stay, etc.... Also, it's worth a phone call to PA to see if you can get a better rate than online - just take a few minutes - worked for us.
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We used for a while, were disappointed overall, and no longer belong.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #16
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
We have belonged to PPA for about 4 years. Have always got our monies worth. As said earlier, like almost everything else it is a pick and choose. Again, we have been very satisfied.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Have been members for 5 or 6 years- Have gotten our moneys worth- Some parks were great, some were not so good and one will never see us again- For overnight stays while on the road, they usually work for us- Just be aware of the possible restrictions- We normally call ahead on the day we plan to be there and have never been turned away- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have used it for many years.There are the good and bad parks as with any park. The printed restrictions in the book may or not apply depending on how business is at that park. We have only been disappointed once.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

I've been a long time member, there are good and bad parks. I look first at Passport parks for sites using there phone app, then I will go to RVPark reviews to check out the campground. If the reviews are bad I look for some other park. This is a bit of work but we always plan ahead.
I should have mentioned I do this also. Plus I'll usually look for that park in the Trailer Life directory to see how they rated the park.

I might note that over the years we have become a whole lot less picky when we're just staying one night. We found we set up, have dinner, watch tv, go to bed, get up the next morning and leave. For that we don't need nor want to pay for tons of amenities and social activities nor pretty. So long as we feel secure and the power is good we're fine. Good water is nice, too, but if there's is not real good, we'll use our own. We're just there the one night.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It's a no brainer. Do the math. Do the research on a particular park to see if it meets your criteria. We have only stayed in 1 or 2 parks that I would not recommend. We have passed on some that did not. Most parks we have visited were mid-range or higher quality.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote