Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
Question for Super Gliders

I am now the owner of a 16k Super Glide Hitch which will replace the Reece 16k manual slider assembly mounted in the rear of my Ford F250 Super Duty short bed. I tow a 2002 Montana 3670RL and attached to the Monty is a Lippert LIPP0719 king pin assembly. The center of the king pin is under the upper deck of the Monty and is app. 18" back from the leading, most forward edge, of the front cap. My concern is that the pin is too far under the upper deck and it is not extend down far enough to mate with the Super Glide. An engineer from Lippert advises that I can install a Lippert 1621 and get some additional forward extension but he cautions about possible flexing in the upper deck area. My question...Are there any Super Glider users with the king pin set up like mine and is it a do-able setup, can I install the Super Glide hook up the 3670RL and get the benefits of the Super Glide? I am attempting to make sure I have all the correct items before I remove the Reece and not be able to tow. Thank you

JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have a SuperGlide but my Monty came with the extended pin box. I am not familiar with Lippert part numbers so I have no idea what you are refering to.

If you could post some pics of your pin box maybe we could be of better assistance.

BUT, if your Monty worked with the Reese I can see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work with the SuperGlide.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not exactly sure what the connection issue is, but the 1621 (longer) pin box was used on the lighter weight Montanas, with the 1116 (shorter) used on the heavier.

Several folks have replaced the pin box with aftermarket types and probably have the 1621 laying around the house. Before you buy one from Lippert, you might run a new post to see if anyone has a spare laying around for sale.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
Here's the official answer directly from Pullrite's website - it has a pretty good description of the requirements you may want to go look at:

"The SuperGlide hitch for short box trucks is optimally designed for trailers with a King Pin located even with, or ahead of the leading edge of the trailer (measured at the corners of the trailer).

There are many variables that can influence the ability to make a full 90° turn; including the trailer width, trailer profile, radius corners & truck cab profile. In many cases, even if the king pin is located under the trailer, behind the leading edge of the trailer, the SuperGlide may allow 90° turns - but NOT IN EVERY CASE.

If your trailer king pin is behind the trailers leading edge, we recommend you contact our Customer Service Department with the following measurements;

a) center of king pin to nose of trailer (see A in figure SG1 below)

b) trailer width

c) make and model of truck

Ford F-150 SuperCrew customers will also need to measure from back of the king pin extension to center of the king pin (see B in figure SG1 below).

The 2004-2005 F-150 truck has bed sides that are 2” higher than other trucks. This may cause bed to trailer clearance problems. PullRite suggests that you investigate these potential problems before installing the hitch.

We will help confirm the applicability of the SuperGlide for you - before you buy."

I have one and it works great only issues I have had are that you have to be pretty straight and level when hooking up to it.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the extended kingpin on my coach so clearance with my Superglide is not a problem. Here is another option~ Pullrite also makes the 24K Superglide that moves 18 inches back. The standard 16k Superglide moves 14 inches. If you watch the video that Pullrite provides, you will see the 5th wheel they use has a standard kingpin. (straight down equal to the leading edge) It seems they can go to the full 90 degree with the 16K model. I would call pullrite and double check with them. Phone: 574-259-1520
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I believe that in another thread there was something said by Keystone about the maximum extension for the kingpin. Said something about watching out for too much leverage which would damage the Monty frame.

I have a 2006 3295 with the Superglide hitch. I thought it was a bit close compared to the 2955 I traded in. I only towed from Salt Lake City to home. No problems but so far I haven't had too much experience. No ninety degree turns so don't know how far I can turn the Ford into the Monty.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Before I plunked down the cash I took some measurements and contacted Pullright. The lady (Whose name I cant remember) was very helpful and pleasant over the phone. BTW, I really like mine too.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote