Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
ULSD and truck stops

On our trip to Gulf Shores we sometimes filled up in the truck lanes of truck stops. Other times it was regular diesel pumps at non-truck stops. The non-truck stops all had ULSD. The truck stop truck lanes, however, all had LSD, not ULSD.

So, are truck stops required to change to ULSD? Or did I just not see the ULSD lanes? I'd go to the LSD lanes anyhow but am wondering since we're considering a truck change this summer as we approach the magic 100k warranty mark and I will want to be able to get ULSD at truck stop truck lanes.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations intended to improve our air quality have gone into effect as of June 1, 2006. They require a major reduction in the sulfur content of diesel fuels and emission levels from diesel engines and vehicles. To meet the EPA standards manufacturers have developed new, highly advanced emission control systems and the petroleum industry is producing ULSD fuel, a cleaner-burning diesel fuel containing a maximum of 15 parts-per-million (ppm) sulfur.

As of June 1, 2006, 80 percent of the highway diesel sent from the refinery level has to be ULSD fuel, instead of 500 ppm Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD) fuel, also known as “the fuel you have been using since October of 1993”. By September 1st of this year the 80 percent requirement will be at the terminal level and by October 15, 2006 it will be required at the retail (truckstops, etc.) level. It will continue this way until December 1, 2010, when all highway diesel fuel offered for sale must be ULSD fuel. During this long transition period retailers may sell ULSD only, LSD only, or both. The requirement is that retail pumps are to be clearly labeled so you know which is which.

Enforcement of the 15 ppm standard will primarily be on the supply end of things. Refineries, terminals and truckstops will be randomly checked to insure their compliance. There will be a margin of error allowance for sulfur testing until October 15, 2006 of 7 ppm (for a total potential sulfur content of 22 ppm). This will be reduced to 3 ppm up until October 15, 2008 at which time it will be reduced to 2 ppm from that point forward."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay I'm still confused. Can we use both, interchangeable?
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Yes; your truck will run on both LSD and ULSD fuel. The new LMM Duramax will only run on ULSD fuel.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Dave. It is stressful enough at the pumps to make sure you are getting diesel without worrying about which kind. When we were in Montana we were really confused. They had the winter grade, 1/2 winter, 1/2 summer grade, summer grade and farm grade.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
As a truckdriver the only thing I do different is to add "HOWES" or someother diessel additive to the fuel to add lubricity to the fuel.,the new fuel jel point is lower and seems to raise engine temps too.
Use additive and no worries,just an extra step for piece of mind.

ps. all these additives can be bought at a truck stop or Walmart[cheeper]
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Steve
If and when you purchase the new truck. Consider Valvoline Priemium Blue Oil. They warrant engine failure to 200,000 miles. Thats what we are using in our Duramax. It was designed as a joint effort between Valvoline and Cummings.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dave.

Ken, is that a synthetic oil?

I suspect truck stops will first sell ULSD at their car pumps and keep the truck pumps LSD as long as they can. Hopefully by the time we buy, ULSD will be more prevalent at truck stops or it will be better marked. I would not like having to drive or walk from pump to pump to find the one I need, pull out of a truck stop into the street and come back around to a different pump, etc.

We got lousy mileage on the trip down here. 9.2 overall. Really bad. But there were several things working against our getting decent mileage. The trip was four days. On all four we had headwinds, sometimes direct, sometimes quartering. Not real bad but 10 to 30 mph. Second, we were running ULSD most of the time. Third, we were on winter blend at least the first two days. Winter blend gets a mpg or two less mileage for us, solo. Overall trip was around 920 miles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Sue,
Yes; your truck will run on both LSD and ULSD fuel. The new LMM Duramax will only run on ULSD fuel.
Exactly.

That's one reason why I wanted an 07 Classic and not an 07 'new model.'
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I am with Bert on this!

2007 Classic, new but with the older reliable engine.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
It sounds like your truck is averaging the same fuel economy that I got when coming home from Goshen while running on ULSD fuel. I dropped from 12.5(LSD) to 9(ULSD).