Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
What would you change?

I know we are all in LOVE with our Montana's, but if there was one thing you could change about it, what would it be?

After full-timing in ours for two months now, I have got to say the one thing I would change would be the closet space. There isn't near enough room for two people's hanging clothes. Everything in there is packed so tight, it's hard to get anything out! And thank goodness I am not a clothes horse; Steve has more than me.

What would you change?

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
The ductwork to the front bedroom. That part of the fiver is either too hot or too cold with very little air out of the furnace and a/c vents!!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
That's a good question Tara, for full timimg I can see there would have to be some sacrifices. The way we use ours, a few days at a time, there is plenty of room in the closet. It goes most of the way across the front of the trailer, has shelves for shoes, etc., a shelf overhead, and is fairly deep. Since we don't have the W/D we can also use that space for clothes. I suppose if I were going to change anything, it would be the amount of time we get to spend enjoying it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would sure like to see a 30"+ flat screen TV and a much nice surround sound. Also would like to see a much higher grade carpet used in the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Find all the wasted space and make it useable. I think they have done some of this, like under the oven and frig. Make the drawers go all the way to the back, in the dresser, in the kitchen and in the desk. Put the light switches by the door. A light on the outside steps. That is about it. I made one change this summer that is almost complete and I'll post pictures soon. It was the one thing that really bugged me. Stay tuned.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
A light you can turn on from the outside so you can see to get the key in the door and up the stairs at night. Al installed lights on the stairs, but there is no switch on the outside, I love my lights, never use the scare lights any more at night for dog potty runs, but we had a light in the handle of our previous TT and I sorely miss that.

Better carpet !! Oh, be still my heart!!

Carol
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As a recreational vehicle we find it is pretty well set up.We all make small personal changes to suit our individual needs , As a long timer or full timer vehicle it falls short in many areas, they all do. Storage space,heating and A/C issues condensation, Power requirements, Lighting, Etc. We need to keep in mind that these things are not designed for long time or full time living..they are "recreational vehicles" not mobile homes. We adapt to how we use them and we get along. Going from recreational use to long timing use is requiring a lot of changes to our camper. We understood that it would when we purchased it...And it is sort of fun adapting the camper to your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Have the bathroom all in one room. Shower, potty and sink. Not next to the bedroom area. This makes it hard for someone that likes to sleep later than the other person.
Also lights on the outside steps.
A dishwasher would be nice. Wish I had a dishwasher instead of the stove oven.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
A choice in the color of the carpeting. That light stuff just doesn't cut it....
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A bigger potty room for my long legs, and the sears catalog I like to read in there, more outlets on fewer breakers, and you guys as neighbors!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
Individual switches for each slide
Better quality carpet
Interior decor options that are not so boring
4 burner on stove
Better and larger oven
Step lights
Light on exterior hand rail
Bedroom lighting that allows one person to read while the other sleeps
Nightstands next to the bed (rather than mini shelf)
Drawers that go to the back of the cabinets in kitchen and bedroom

Cheri
Mountaineer 342PHT
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich - well stated, I agree with you wholeheartly. I would like to see change in the slide switch also. Either a separete switch for each slide or move the switch somewhere where grandbaby hands cannot reach. Maybe even put some sort of protective cover that you had to lift in order to activate switch. My previous RV required a key entered into the switch before it would activate.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
- Individual controls for the 2 slideouts. I guess there is an expensive solution to this, but IMO
this should be standard

- We have 3 dump valves, shower/bathroom sink grey, black water, and galley grey. The first 2 are
easily accessed thru the storage area. The galley grey water valve is under the left rear tire,
and is extremely hard to access when the slideout is out (crawl on your back!). The valve could
have been routed for better access

- (Not specific to the Montana) A black water tank gauge that actually works.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As mentioned, my pet peeve is the one slide switch for four slides. All the competition that we looked at before deciding on the 3400 had a switch for each slide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The separate slide switch seems to be a common thing we would like to see improved. Here at the house we extend our main slide and leave the other 3 retracted so they do not intrude into the neighbors yard. A separate switch would be handy but to be honest we would find little use for, in our case 4 separate switches, when on the road. For me pushing one switch instead of 4 is a convenience and there is always the selector switches..If Keystone was to build a camper to my spec's it would have @ 6 slides , Be about 45 feet long weigh @ 30K and cost @ 200K. We will just have to make do with all the Montana short comings
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664

My one thing would be: Have just the stove top.

With the micro/convection/half time thing, who needs the regular oven?

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Lisa,

Shhhh, don't tell, I actually use my oven. Then again, I don't have that fancy new fangled halftime thingy!

An opt out on the oven might be nice (or do they offer that these days, ya can tell we have not been looking at order forms, eh?? HAHA)

Carol
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There are only a few changes I would like to see but additional closet space is not one of them. We will have been full timing 3 years on October 18th and have more than enough room for our wardrobe. As very frequent motel travelers prior to our RV we learned how to trim down the wardrobe. I have 1 sport coat, 2 pair dress slacks, 2 dress shirts and one pair dress shoes. All of these are interchangeable and therefore gives a number of different looks. Lorraine's wardrobe is pretty much the same. We have plenty of more casual dress such as shorts and polo/golf shirts which pretty much covers it.
A seperate switch for each slide would be nice but we have had few problems with the factory switch.
When we bought our Monty we knew exactly what we were getting and are quite happy just the way it is or we wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Now having said that I will admit we are looking to upgrade in January. We are now looking at a bit longer rig with a rear living room containing a desk and the television rather than having the TV toward the center with the recliners in the rear and the dinette table as a desk.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Knowing that every change would also change the price of the Tana, I am very happy with what we got. I do wish we had an option for a double door fridge though. I'm just not sure what space I would be willing to give up to get it. I do know that to get one thing, something elso has to go or would not be safe to tow with a one ton and we are not willing to compromise on safety.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
More room to get around the bed
A better stereo
More comfortable recliners that stayed locked in recline
Other than that very happy with our 2880RL 3 slide. Don't think we
will change.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote