Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Montana_2895
Established Member

M.O.C. #2895
Freightliner Conversion

Is it possible to use our Freightliner tractor to tow our 3400 RL? Of course, we also need it for our trucking business but isn't there some way to switch back and forth? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tommy and Debi
'05 3400RL
'03 Silverado 2500HD 4WD
Lake Berryessa, CA

Montana_2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I wouldn't see any reason why not as there are many 5ers being towed by the big rigs. You may have to change the fifth wheel but even that I can't be sure of.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
the 5th wheel on the tractor will hitch fine, you will need a brake controler, and you would have to find one compatable with air brakes, probably some fenders also.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have heard that there is some problems with that. You may want to contact Keystone to see what they say. You may also want to see a MM or contact them to see how they are constructed differently from a regular tractor. That may be a clue. Come back and let us know what you find out.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Firetrucker is pulling with a VOLVO, and he seems to get everywhere we do regardless of how big he is. you should send him a PM and he will give you a lot of information.

Don, Georgia and Smokey.
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel, Clydesdale, Banks Stinger, Prodigy Controler,
Pullin a Super Fine 2004 / 2980-RL

[img] http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigwx_cond/language/www/US/CA/Santa_Fe_Springs.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Santa Fe Springs, California Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

Trailer Trash 2's link
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
It will work just fine. We have a Volvo, as in the picture, and have single axeled it, but we don't use it for commercial at all. I'm sure my DH will be along to answer you more completely. We towed with the commercial hitch for several years, before moving to the TrailerSaver hitch to relieve some stress on the pin box and trailer frame. Check out the HDT forum on the Escapees board at www.escapees.com and follow the links to the members discussion forum.

Sharon and Bob Grissom
1999 Volvo Red Big Rig
2005 3400RL
1 Siberian Husky & 2 Shih Tzus
http://community.webshots.com/user/sharongrissom
Gardnerville, Nevada

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/infoboxtr/language/www/US/NV/Minden.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Minden, Nevada Forecast" height=108 width=144[/img]
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
A little rewiring, an adjustment of the pin box height, and maybe moving the Holland back a ways and you'll be on the road with the rest of us.

A lot of people tow their 5ers with both the single and tandem axle configuration, and a number of them have kept their commercial hitch without any problems with their 5er frame. Some use air brakes on their 5ers, but I suspect they have much larger rigs, or electric over hydraulic. We use a Prodigy controller with the standard brake system and have had no problems. I have a converter that I plug the standard commercial plug into on one side and the trailer plug into the other (that way, someone else can tow the 5er if they have to).

The Volvo is not much of an off-road vehicle, but there's enough room on the bed that I'm thinking of putting a small dual sport motorcycle up there for local travel.

One problem several have had, mostly in the east where there's been a lot of rain, has been sites that are on grass or dirt. Tires tend to sink in and even locked differentials sometimes haven't been quite enough to get the rig out.

One slight inconvenience might be that, as a commercial vehicle, you'll have to stop at all the weigh stations.

It's a fantastic way to go because you never have a problem going, or stopping. You're mileage should be as good or better than most diesel pickups, and way better than a gas rig. It's always a conversation starter, but usually it starts with "do you think you have a big enough truck?"

The HDT forum on Escapees is a great place to see how other people have managed their trucks and to get questions answered. It's a great bunch of guys and gals.

Bob

'99 Volvo / '05 3400RL
2 Shih Tzu guard dogs
1 lonely Siberian Husky
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's Bob and Sharon (Firetrucker and Firetruckerwife) on the way home from the Spring rally as our routes were about to diverge. One thing I noticed at the rally is they had ZERO bugs on the nose of their Montana. That is one fine big red bug shield.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I hadn't seen that picture before, Steve. I'm really pleased to see how level the rig is riding and how well it fits behind the truck. It's easier to clean the bugs off the truck than the Montana, and I see you've got almost as many bugs on your windshield as we do.

No wonder no one knows that we're pulling a Monty.

Bob

'99 Volvo / '05 3400RL
2 Shih Tzu guard dogs
1 lonely Siberian Husky
Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
What are the key numbers on the Volvo:

GVWR/GCWR/Max pin weight/Do you need a CDL?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
GVWR - 31,000 lb / GCWR - ~50,000 lb / Max pin wt - 5,000 lb (determined by trailersaver hitch - it can be increased to 7,500 lb with another air bag)

The truck is registered as a noncommercial vehicle, so a CDL is not required, but the weight of the trailer requires a noncommercial Class A license (towed vehicle >10,000 lb).

Bob

'99 Volvo / '05 3400RL
2 Shih Tzu guard dogs
1 lonely Siberian Husky