Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Which options to get on a Chevy 3500?

My original post focused on questions about what options to get with a Ford 350. In response, I received very good feedback on the Ford options. However, based on comments by some to that original post, I've edited this post to focus on the options I should consider if I were to get a Chevy 3500 instead of the F350. Please see my post on Tuesday evening, Aug 15, for the start of the substantive discussion on Chevy options.

My original post on the F350 is set forth below.

I'm looking seriously at getting a 2006 F350 before the new diesel engines come in. If I grab it, it would be a diesel, auto transmission, 4x4, SRW supercab with long bed. There are a number of options that Ford offers, and as a newbie I'm not sure just what to get besides the Tow Command pkg with the built in brake controller and 18" wheels in order to get the higher GVWR. Which of the following options would be worth getting in order to tow a 3400 or 3475:

3.73 limited slip rear axle
skid plates for transfer case and fuel tank
stabilizer pkg (heavy-service front springs and rear stabilizer bar)
heavy duty (140 amp) alternator or dual alternators
Electronic Shift of the Fly
Reverse vehicle aid sensor
Heavy service suspension pkg (front springs upgrade, auxiliary rear springs where not included)

Also, does anyone know what the "Power Takeoff Provision (PTO)" is?

Any other options anyone recommend that I look for for the F350?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I would say the 3.73 limited slip would be a must, skid plates are not going to do much for you unless you are planning on off roading alot, I think the cost of the GM skid plates is like $82 (that is invoice) so it might be worth having them at such a little overall cost. I am not up on all the Ford options, but I would GET shift on the fly 4x4, you will love that feature when the time comes, the reverse vehicle aide will constantly beep at you when backing up your Montana. (my dads 07 tahoe does that w/ the boat in tow) (I am not sure how much I like that feature now, especially while towing) The heavy service suspension pkg would probably be another good option to have, especially for towing a Montana around. I see no need for the PTO, again this is all my opinion.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
David:

I'm not going to be much help on the option selection although i do have the 3.73 ratio rear end on mine and I find it totally appropriate with a 7.3 L Diesel engine. Got 13 MPG on the last 600 mile trip pulling a loaded 3400RL.

However, I do want to caution you about the current 6.0 Ford Diesel Engine. Ford has had way more warranty problems with this engine than is remotely reasonable. Especially the earlier ones. Ford is coming out with the 6.4 L disel engine to replace it and it has been tested much more than the 6.0 ever was. In fact I beleive it has had an extra year of testing due to the problems Ford has experienced with the 6.0. I had a choice between the 7.3L vs the 6.0 in 2003 and I selected the 7.3L then and it has been totally trouble free. I can refer you to a friend in CA who went through a 2003, 2004 and 2005 6.0L Ford diesel (F350 dually, replaced free of charge by Ford) before reluctantly switching to a Chevy Dura Max. He has not had trouble with the Chevy. He still would like to own a Ford but he had his fill of problems with the 6.0L engine. He is not the only one. Many have held up well and have been trouble free but there have been enough lemons to make me shy away from the 6.0 engine. Check into it very intensly.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
They did have problems with the 6.0 on the first couple years of production, but my understanding is things were straightened out by mid-2004. You can do a web search to validate that - there are a lot of good comments on the current trucks. I have a 2005 F-350 SRW CC 4X4 6.0 powerstroke long-bed, and love it. A friend has the 2006 and has also had no problems.

Tow command is a must, and I love the Electronic Shift of the Fly, since it can also be manually locked as well.

In my previous trucks I had a canopy for my truck, so for pulling the 5th wheel I put on an Advance folding cover. They are great, folded up for towing, yet have locking security and water resistance when not towing.

The

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Lab Sasha
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I agree with everything Montana sky said in the first reply, but wanted to add that the reverse sensors have a button on the dash that you can push and shut off the warning beeper until you cycle it out of reverse and back into reverse again. It is somewhat annoying but if you push the button as you begin to back up it stays off until you take it out of reverse. I have had them on my last two trucks and they work great. I would also recommend the stabilizer package. Heavier springs and a sway bar are a must while towing in the wind.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ron,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! After reading your post, I talked with my dad and his Tahoe does in fact have the same button as your Ford. Sure wish I would have known that when I was backing up before!!

David,
Now that I know you can shut off the reverse parking aide, I would also add that to your list of options. It works great when not towing in those tight parking lots. =)

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I agree about the reverse sensor...it is a Godsend in backing out of tight areas. It also senses those young toddlers you can't see when backing up.

Myrna Logan
Bastrop,Texas
Married to Trebor #4532
the boss..Graeme, Scottish Terrier
Fulltiming since 5/15/05
02 F350 crewcab 7.3L 4x4, LB, Rhino spray on liner.Montana3400RL,hijacker hitch, Kingdome.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
We had an 03 6.0 late edition and put 82000 miles on it with no engine problems. It was in an f250 crew cab. 373 rear end.
We now have an f 350 drw crew cab with tow boss( 4.30 rear end) and so far we have had no problems either. I have a friend with the 05 edition of the same truck and he has put about 40K miles on his with no problems either. We are towing about 17000 lb and wanted the dually for additional stability, which we are very happy with. It is more stable when solo on wet roads as well. Good luck

WA4BMG
John and Nancy
Elite Resorts
Salt Springs,Florida
Baby ( the eating machine Lasapsha)
2005 Sunnybrook 36BWKS,
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, Tow Boss
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check out the tow boss package with the 4:30 rear end..more torque..more tow capacity..does not hurt fuel mileage all that much. We did not get the diesel in our 05 f-350 because of concerns about the 6.0 but will no doubt switch to the 6.4 in a year or so. Check out these forums http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...reads.php?Cat=

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I factory ordered my 05 but things change all the time so your 06 options may be different.

I had bad luck with my 04 6.0 so I went with the V10 in 05. So far so good. Ford is really testing the 6.4 to avoid the growing pains it suffered with the 6.0. Dean's post above is correct and the warranty costs on the 6.0 are very high for Ford. IMHO the 6.0 can be a great engine but I would be nervous about owning one after the warranty runs out. I would wait and go for the 6.4 if I was to go Ford and really wanted a diesel. Just my opinion.

I got the FX4 pkg and that get's you the skid plates. I got the camper pkg and that got you the heavier front end and overloads and anti sway bars front and rear . It did in 05 anyway.

LS rear end is a must. PTO you don't need. I like the rear sensors, Shut off button works well.

ESOF is very popular, just make sure you use it on a regular basis to keep everything free.
I ordered the manual transfer case which is still shift on the fly, but it requires you to turn your front hubs to "lock" and you must pull over and do this. No doubt, ESOF system is more user friendly and probably is your best choice.

I like the CC so much better than the SC. The crew has a stronger cab because of the centre pillar. Much more storage in the back seat.

Also in 05, the extended cab, only comes woth power seats on the driver's side in a Lariat. The CC has power both sides.
Also, you could only get the moonroof in the CC and not the SC.
I have owned 3 Supercabs, my last 3 Fords have been Crew cabs and everyone I have ever known that owned a CC will never go back to the SC, myself included. Make sure you test drive both.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Good choice on vehicle. Sounds like mine except for the backing sensor. You should never need a PTO shaft. I was a Cummins guy and still am although I drive a Ford now. The Dodge dealer ticked me off when was trading so I went to Ford. We got a deal through work so it ended up getting this one for same price as Doodge would have been. Also the dealer is 30 miles closer and even though it is a small dealer, other dealers bring some of their service to this place. The service is outstanding and I am very pleased with the 6 liter. I love the tow command and the torq shift tranny. I bought the TV on Mar 31 and have 8000 miles now and still working great. I was surprised at the ride. It rides much better than my '01 Dodge CC. I am sure due to being a heavier trck, longer etc. I agree with other comments about the crew cab verus club cab. Anyway, I like my Ford and I will look at Dodge again. They are all good. Good luck.

Virg and Jo
Tioga, ND
06 F-350,4X4, PSD, LB, SRW, Tow command, Lariat
03 Montana 2955RL
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I've had all three...Ford was a fine truck, had a heavy duty 3/4 ton Dodge, same thing, my last three have been Chevys, and the one on order is a Chevy. Everybody talks about the problems with the PSD 6.0, the possible problems with the new 6.4...to me it would not be worth the risk. If Wrenchtraveller (a die hard Ford guy) got rid of his diesel for a gasser, and Richfaa did not get a diesel because of perceived problems...that tells me I don't think I want a PSD. Cummins...great engine, in fact it is detuned to so it doesn't eat the pickup transmission. When not detuned, it pushes lots of motor homes around the country. I just don't much care for the Cummins' surroundings, that's my personal preference.

The Chevy has the best ride, and I think it's hard to beat the D/A combination. The final reason I got the Chevy (and certainly one of the most important)...my BIL is a GM contracter so we get the employee price!!

Bottom line, they'll all cost about the same and they'll all do the job. You will have to drive it and live with it, you decide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Based on the comments that several people have made, I'm expanding my focus to look at a Chevy 3500 as well as the Ford 350. But the Chevy brochures are much less clear as to which options are offered which would be of use in hauling a Monty. Any recommendations as to which options to consider if I go with a 3500?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
If you were to go with a GM product, I would look at getting a 3500 dually with the LT3 package. This will have all the options you could ever want on a truck.

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Montana Sky wrote..."David,
If you were to go with a GM product, I would look at getting a 3500 dually with the LT3 package. This will have all the options you could ever want on a truck."

I agree.

One thing I like about the GM series is when you get a 'package' like the LT3, almost everything you need is included. The LT1 has the fewest options, the LT2 takes the LT1 and adds to them, and the LT3 takes the previous two and adds more. GM is finally getting smart, Honda has been doing that for decades. My dually, hopefully here this week since I sold my half ton today, has this package. The standard equipment with the LT3 is too long to list (Bose, 6 CD player, 10 way heated leather seats, dual automatic climate controls, driver info center with 17 functions, and loads more), the options I got, most are obvious for a TV: D/A, heavy duty tow package, 5th wheel wiring...in front of the bed, chrome assist steps, XM radio, and more. I would suggest you go to the Chevy site and when you get in the truck section, click on "Build Your Own." They'll build it and price it for you. My dealer ran me off a copy of my order on his printer...it is nine type written single spaced pages.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
One of my best friends just bought a new Duramax and loves it. I do think the Duramax is an awsome diesel and if you can get use to the " Buick with a box " feel of a GMC truck, you will probably love it. True story, another friend of mine had almost inked the deal on a new Ford F350. His wife has a very bad back, they test drove a new Chev Duramax and his wife was sold on the ride. They bought the Chev. They also are very pleased. My brother loves his 95 Cummins but I am not a big Dodge fan myself. Good luck and I hope your choice gives you many years of pleasure.

PS, another reason I stuck with Ford is that I only paid 3170 dollars difference for my 05 F350 . Ford basically bought my 04 Ford F350 back to keep me as a customer. I would have taken a financial bath if I would have traded my 04 F350 on an 05 Chev Duramax.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I want to reiterate that Ford has addressed the early growing pains of the 6.0, so don't let early feedback scare you away.

The big 3 all make great trucks, so try them all. But I am a total believer in the Tow Command package Ford has. It is AWESOME!!!

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have not yet read all the replies but will just give my opinion.

1. I think 3.73 is the standard axle. It is what I have. I suspect your question is whether to get the limited slip. I'd recommend yes. If you have 4x4 it may come with it anyhow. If not, trying to start uphill from a traffic light in the rain may find you spinning a wheel. Limited slip is worthwhile. The 4.30 axle would give you even more grunt. I'm not sure the impact on mileage.

2. Skid plates. Not necessary unless you plan to do some offroading. It's part of the Off Road package. Mine has them.

3. Stabilizer package. Main purpose is for snow plowing, to handle the extra weight up front. Makes for a pretty harsh ride up front. I'd pass on that. The F350 comes with a rear stabilizer bar standard (doublecheck that but it did in '03).

4. Heavy duty or dual alternators. Always a good choice but I wouldn't turn down the truck if it didn't have it. I'm not sure if mine has this. Would have to check the invoice. I know I don't have duals.

5. Shift on the fly. Definitely I'd get this. Mine has it. Quick and easy into and out of 4x4 when you need it. Don't have to stop and shift. Just turn the knob.

6. Reverse vehicle aid sensor. Not necessary but I've grown to like it on mine. Keeps me from backing into someone or something. Can drive me nuts when backing the Montana while hitched as it senses something back there. There's an off/on switch on the dash but I ignore that figuring I'd forget to turn it back on. This thing works even when covered with ice and snow and has never given a false reading for any reason, including ice and snow. The sensor warning lets me back farther, closer to the car behind, without worrying about hitting it. The closer you get, the more frequent the beeps. When it goes to a solid tone, you have ten inches left.

7. Heavier springs. The F350 comes with all you need. Remember you also will drive solo. The F350 has a nice ride but add springs and that will deterioriate. I've had a lot of people comment on the nice ride of my Ford.

8. The power take off provision is switches to operate other equipment off the power take off, like snow plows and other equipment. The switches are next to the brake controller and the driver side glove box.

9. Make sure you have the tow package and the towing mirrors!
And Tow Command for the smoothest brake controller you've ever experienced.

Now I'll go read the other replies.

Now I'll add a comment or two. As for the 6.0, I love mine. Absolutely awesome towing engine. There were birthing pains for the first year or so but they're ironed out. Duramax and Cummins had similar early woes, including buy back of a bunch, but I think Ford had more early problems. My '05 has 63,000 on it and is still awesome. And still has never used a drop of oil, never been below the full mark, even at oil change at 7500 miles (synthetic) of 5000 (dino oil). I would not hesitate to buy another.

My F250 does not have the rear sway bar and I've never had problems towing in wind. The F350 comes standard with the sway bar.

Fordzilla, you mean if I lock out the reverse sensor it will automatically turn on again when I come out of reverse? I never used the button, figuring I'd forget to turn it back on. I'll give that a try.

My personal opinion is any of the current model trucks will do you fine. Despite the Ford bashing, they're still number one in sales, which says a lot. And I'm still very happy with mine at 63,000 miles and climbing. But any of the major brands will do a good job for you.

I'm known around here as a Ford lover but that's because they've treated me so well. But truck prices are so high these days that if I ever trade I'll drive them all, eliminate those I don't like, and take the one that gives me the best deal. Who knows, that could even be a Chevy.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #19
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have the 05 6.0 and the only problem if you can call it that is when they reflashed my computer the ABS light would sporatically come on and after a few miles go out. I could not get to my dealer due to us being on the way to Idaho. Consequentially the problem cured itself.
As for options. We got the tow command and absolutely get the integrated brake controller! Do not consider this an option get it. I got the 3:73 limited slip gears and do not remotely have a pulling problem. Went over Cajone Pass in Calif. at 70 MPH! Did turn the turbo pipe blue. If I recall that is a 12 mile grade ending up at 8%. I get about 13 MPG towing and 17.8 not towing.
Other options are the luxury package which gives you the redundant controls for AC and stereo and CD controls. The wood grain adds a nice touch. Heated seats are very nice on cold mornings and as a muscle relaxer on those long drives. And also would not be without the tow mirrors. Push them in when not towing and simply pull them out when towing. A very nice mirror and highly fuctional. The rear seats fold up and down as well.
If I were to get another truck...it would be the same truck!!!

Rick & Wanda R.
2005 F250SD Lariat 4DR.
6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Mountaineer 328RLS
Sulphur Springs, Texas
Kids: Lexus and Sunshine
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Found out I can't go with the dually--my condo complex won't allow parking dually trucks here, and I'm not about to park it somewhere miles away. At least that makes some decisions easier.

I'm also looking for the moment into the feasibility of picking up a 2006 from existing dealer inventory to take advantage of the $3,000 rebates both Ford and Chevy are offering. Won't do it if it means missing some critical option or feature, which is why I'm trying to nail down what is and is not critical for hauling a Monty. Of course, Jo-Anna may have a different feel about what is and is not acceptable once we start looking Thursday to see what's available in existing dealer inventories. LOL!!!

I've logged onto the Chevy website and am looking at options. For the 3500, looks like once you go with the diesel, the Allison has to come with it, so I should be OK since I've told the dealers I need diesel (also told them I need the Allison, but they don't listen).

Heavy duty trailering equipment pkg is optional even with the LT3--I assume that's something I want, correct? Skid plate and snow plow pkgs are optional, but assume I don't need either of them, correct?

The internal engine oil cooler will come standard with the diesel. The Z85 Handling/Trailering suspension is standard with the LT3. Electronic shift transfer case is also standard with LT3. The automatic locking rear differential is standard with SRW models, so that's OK. Only get a 105 amp alternator--no heavy duty alternator options like Ford offers--wonder why that is?

So looks like the LT3 option takes care of everything I need except for the HD trailering equipment pkg. in terms of engine and chassis.

Also need to make sure I check on the trailering mirrors and rear sliding window--they are only options even with the LT3.

Gosh but there is lots for a newbie to learn here, but you guys are really really great!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel