Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Quiet Pump Now

Many have all ready worked on there fresh water pump as I did today. I put a piece of vinyl hose after the pump and foam under the pump, this helped get rid of most of the noise. Many have installed new pumps and Accumulator it help with the noise and to get better water pressure.

I found that if you don't want to do some or all of the above here a tip a learned today. You can do away with maybe half the noise by just laying a piece of fiberglass insulation over the pump. I then stapled it in place. I'll build a border around this to keep pots, pans, and can goods from moving into the pump.See-Ya

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That is a good project to get done. I have found that in our trailer a lot noise is not from the pump itself, but the pipes rattling against things. Some strategicly placed foam pipe insulation can help with this aspect of the noise problem.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This sound good, however, one thought did pass when I read this and that is heat generated by the water pump. I am not sure how much of an impact the insullation would have restricting the cooling of the water pump especially during a shower or washing machine event. Of course the washing machine water usage would be excessive and probably done on city hookup. Just a caution.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I would not advise to cover the pump like we would on a 20 degree night. Mine is open in the front and rear. I let it run for a while adjusting the hose (5FT) I added, getting it tyed up and out of the way. There was some warmth, but it was just warm. We do not have a washer but it is a fast fix for those that may not be unable to do the full fix.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We decreased our water pump noise a lot by using the insulated pipe foam that OntMont used. Now the dog isn't afraid of it!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Wanted to follow up on the finished job. Built a box to enclose the pump out of left over blue board.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nice pictures,
I just came in from working on mine, (3400RL) I used vibration isolators (special constructed rubber pads with relief holes in them) under each foot, then used self stick rubber sheet, cut into strips that I wrapped around the hoses to keep the vibration isolated. I used the rubber sheet on anything they touched, floor, each other, so on.
I will insulate around mine, it has a White plastic enclosure, it's in the basement, I will insulate the whole darn thing before I'm done. I was scrunched up in the basement working, almost had to call the fire department to get me out.
Sue laughed at me. She said I really get into my work! Women...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 AM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Got rid of 90% of my pump noise by putting foam rubber between the rigid piping and the walls, and replacing the piece of rigid plastic pipe on the pump outlet side, with a vinyl hose and two "Quick Connect" fittings, installed with a loop in it to absorb pump vibration.

Installation time: 5 Minutes
Project Cost: about $ 8.00 (Used some leftover foam packing)

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #9
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
We just toured the factory and I asked the question of the "loud" pump. They told us that they are now installing a "soft" hose coming out of the pump and this is doing the job. I am in the process of installing a soft hose at the exit port. Hope this helps.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have a 2006 2955 RL, and it has the soft hose coming out of the pump. It didn't help. I have installed a piece of foam (gardener's kneeling pad) under the pump, and put foam around the pipes where they touch anything. I still have some work to do, but it's much quieter now.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimnJulie

We just toured the factory and I asked the question of the "loud" pump. They told us that they are now installing a "soft" hose coming out of the pump and this is doing the job. I am in the process of installing a soft hose at the exit port. Hope this helps.
LET US KNOW WHAT WAS DONE SO I CAN DO THE SAME THING FOR MINE.

THANKS
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mpl897,
You can buy a kit, that consists of Two hoses, extensions really, that you hook on your pump, suction and discharge, they are long, so it curls around in a circle. This acts as a vibration absorber. I just did some extra work on mine as stated above, but they are doing some extra steps now to help the noise, as JimnJulie stated.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote