Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Lugnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #14577
Domestic 4 Door Fridge Model #RM1350SLMX

Bought my Montana 5th wheel new about 4 months ago... We have been on the road for 3 months of a 12 month trip... Now my fridge will not get cold... Freezer is fine at this point... Leaving DC area tomorrow and will be in Myrtle Beach for a few days... Before we went into city today, we unloaded, turned off and defrosted it... Left it OFF for 12 hours and have since plugged it in... Freezer is cold and box is warm... Since I'm living out of it, I need it fixed.... Under warranty... Do any of you know someone who can help between DC and Myrtle Beach? Thanks... Lugnut... Email: ldgunkel@pacbell.net. Thanks for any help...

Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Lugnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #14577
D O M E T I C...
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
look for a camping world dealer in your area,at least it will be a start
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Try Rolling Hills just off I95, north of Richmond.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
Lugnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #14577
Thanks you all... The defrost and unplug seemed to work for the time being... Maybe something was frozen up... Is there a way, or is it even a good idea to try to keep the condensation out of the box... Thanks again.... Larry
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Is the drain line plugged?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I take it your refer is now cold? It takes a long time (around 24 hours or more) for one of these type refers to get cold. The freezer cools first and then cold air from it falls down into the refer compartment. There are no coils, fans, or such in the refer part as you would have in a household unit.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Lugnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #14577
Well, the darn thing got warm again on me... The freezer is working fine... The box is not... I will check that drainage line today if I can find it... I'm a little refrigerator challenged, but am trying to get better... The first part of our trip (sinceJune) I had the setting on 5 max... Thinking that may have something to do with it, after getting it to work again on 9/4 I turned it down to 3... Instead of temp at around 33 at the 5 setting, with the 3 it stayed around the 40 Mark, but now having same problem.., you guys are great... Thanks..,
Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Freezer check; if it is only 32 degrees it will freeze ice, but has to be around 10 to freeze ice cream hard. OR, you can just put a good thermometer in it. I am guessing, but I would think the freezer has to be much colder than 32 to cool the rest of the refrigerator. I like my refrigerator around 36 to 38 degrees. Food lasts longer and beer tastes better
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Make sure that you did not disturb the wire and clip that attaches to the cooling fins inside rear of fridge.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
Lugnut
Established Member

M.O.C. #14577
A new thermometer shows just below zero in freezer... It seems to be staying at that temp... The fridge has been between 36 and 48 these last couple of days... It's just the two of us and we are very good at keeping the doors open just long enough to get what we need... It's like it goes through cycles.... This is what I'm going to do... We have approx 7-8 more months on the road.. We've never really had a plan on where we would be next... (Keeps the family on their toes). We will plan a stay long enough somewhere to get it looked at... Kind of a tricky thing though... I needed some things looked at in Ohio and the Montana Service Department told me he was 3 months out... Since I'm trying to act like Willie Nelson (On the road again) I dealt with those issues the best I could... For the most part we are happy with the new Montana... All of your suggestions have been looked at... Drain line is not plugged... The wire to the fins in refrigerator looks fine... And Ozz, I keep my beer in an ice chest at all times... Just can't take a chance with beer... Just like the Coast Guard, it has to be Semper Paratus (always ready) at all times... Thanks all...
Old 09-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Looks like you are in pretty good shape now, (especially with your beer plan in place ) You have a great attitude, livin' loose and enjoying every minute of it.
The problem with your problem.. is that it will take a sharp service tech to figure out what to do. Likely, he will check it, then go to his boss and say Hey, it's working, what now? His boss will say, nothing we can do with that... go install that new part on the trailer that has been here for a week.
If the tech is sharp and wants to do his job, he would call the manufacture's service tech troubleshooter and run it by them, pull out the service books on the unit and study them. But the service manager probably won't let him do that since it is working.
You should try and research it as much as you can, if a part is in question, buy the part and change it out. You may or may not get reimbursed for it, but you just might fix it.
I do HVAC and refrigeration repairs day in and day out, so I know how the system works. (I don't do absorption refrigeration) just never got into it.
Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Mine acted up at first too and the cooling fans came on all the time (NOISY) but it just fixed itself after a few days now all is Good,it was hot up here in the NW I think like was said before it takes a while to cool down and also mine seemed at first to work better on LP only now it works great on both and HOOK by the way the Dometic does not have the wire and clip on the fins that is the first thing I looked at it is just attached to the roof of thee fridge