Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Atwood 8535 Furnace

I have the 3650RK Monte. My furnace is behind the electrical panel/fuse box beside my entrance steps. I can get to the 'top' or 'side' of the heater through the basement. However, this side only has the LP connection. How the heck do I work on the furnace? I do NOT have a furnace door on the outside of the rig.
Now, at the moment, I do not have a problem or need to fix anything. However, the unit is over 6 years old and we are moving back in for the winter. I would like to figure out how to work on this thing before I get snow on the ground and need to work on it. Thoughts anyone! Anyone? Don't be shy...

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Cannot see how you can possible have a furnace without a fresh air intake and an exhaust, unless it is a catalytic type heater. You must be missing something. Try closing your entrance door, I bet the outside grate is behind that.

Brrrr if is not working properly....
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I looked at a few outside pics of your model and the only thing visible on the outside is the exhaust behind your door when open (No access panel, just the exhaust). I would say you have already figured out the access to the heater through the basement. The only other alternative would be to pull the fuse/breaker panel box out to access the other side. Interesting!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I would love to help you as we have an '04 3650RK, but they must have moved the furnace as ours is under that stupid J couch, (that was the first thing we removed when we remodeled), in the living room next to the kitchen. I built a carpeted box over ours so it is real easy to get to. I can't even imagine how much propane you must burn using the built in furnace.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Here are pictures of the only access I have to my heater.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...heaterport.jpg and http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ateraccess.jpg
I could easily remove the fuse panel, but am concerned about being on my belly with my elbows floundering around the electrical panel. Of course, I could cut power, but if I am living in it, not fun. Just looking for options. I don't really want to cut a hole in the side and put in a cover, but I just might have to. Heaters are not my area of expertise, so I'm not really creative here. Thanks for the help if you have ideas how to get to this thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
After looking at your pics, I have to agree with Bingo. "The only other alternative would be to pull the fuse/breaker panel box out to access the other side."
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Icehouse I would be looking for screws that hold the heater in place, they may be into the floor or into the sidewall from the inside. The only thing you will find behind the outer vent is the compartment of the furnace that has the exhaust fan that blows the hot exhaust air away from the trailer. You may need to get at both sides to see all screws that secure the heater in place.

In the picture you can see the squirrel cage fan that blows the hot air around the trailer, the exhaust fan is below that on the same motor shaft but in a sealed compartment from the circulation fan.

You are likely able to access the propane line and the ignition parts from the storage compartment I cannot tell for sure as your picture does not go down far enough to see all of the heater. Not sure what you want to do or be able to do in the event of a problem. If this is not your line of expertise then there is likely nothing in there you would be able to repair yourself and would have to get someone in to fix it should a problem occur.

I am sure you will have supplemental electric heating and I would highly recommend a catalytic heater as well. I suspect you will be protecting your pipes from freezing with heat tapes and the unit will be skirted in some way.

I have lived in a mobile home in northern Canada and it is hard to keep them warm at times and freezing pipes are a real pain in the butt and can cause no end of misery. Temperatures in the -40 range will mean the heater will run a lot of the time.

Wish we could all be of more help, perhaps we can send up some extra surplus army blankets just in case...
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Icehouse, did you get the pics I pm'ed to you?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Generally the furnaces are set up for access on one side, or the front. Did you take those screws out on the panels on the picture-taken side? That is probably the service side.
That opening is your furnace return, and the pipe below is the propane inlet.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hey guys, this is Tammy. Thanks for your replies. Bernie will be home this evening and I'll make sure he gets on the forum and sees them. And Alwims, yes, he did get the photos! Thank you very much!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Alwims, yes, I received the photos. Thank you so much. We are discussing what furniture to keep or replace and what to add for more comfort. The first time we were full-timed, we just lived in the stock machine (furniture wise). This time, we are going to make it more comfy as you have.

Ozz, thanks for the advice. I was expecting a service side to either be identified or look different somehow. I am not really sure in what way. I will see if I can remove this panel and see what I get. I suppose that seemed too obvious!! The repair manual let me to believe access was from the 'Skinny' side of the furnace. Sometimes I don't see the obvious.

Irlpguy, thanks for the advice. We have lived in the rig down to minus 35 with no problems. We just so love cold winter camping. I just want to be prepared as the Monte is beginning to age.

Thanks everyone. I just love adventures.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good luck buddy, have a good winter.
If you can get to the Igniter/sensor, take some scotch brite (Green abrasive stuff) or sandpaper and clean that sensor, it gets dust and crud on it and stops sensing sometimes. I bet I have cleaned 200 of them, that was all that was wrong with the unit on a service call. The flame hits it completing a ground. Flames conduct well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Believe me, once you fall a sleep trying to watch TV in these recliners, you'll wonder how you ever got along with the stock recliners.
Catnapper Teddy Bear Wallhugger