Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Not Quite Yet, Need Some Help

I am still in the planning stage of our trip heading from our home in Maine to the NorthWest. (Marge does the planning) We will be leaving Maine in June, probably will go thru Canada and re-enter U.S. in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This is what I have planned and some of the campgrounds I am looking at.

Upper Peninsula of Michigan - No firm date yet, thinking it would be nice to see Mackinaw Island and the UP.

Grand Tetons -June 21st - June 29th - Colter Bay Viilage RV Park (reserved)

Yellowstone - June 29th - July 7th - Grizzly Park (reserved) as of 2/9th

Missoula, Mt. - Jim & Mary's RV Park - July 7th - July 9th -Stopover for 2 nights reserved as of 2/9th

Glacier National Park - July 9th - July 17th - Columbia Falls RV Park - (reserved) as of 2/9th

Washington July 19th - August 2nd - Oak Harbor (military) Whidbey Island

Oregon - no dates yet, no idea about campgrounds

California - no dates yet, most likely in early September - Will be looking for civilian/military campgrounds.

So what do you experienced travelers think? Looking for recommendations for campgrounds and what we should definitely not miss..

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Jim are you going to stay in Oak Harbor or are you open for a few more options when you are in that area? When you are there be sure and take the walk on ferry out of Anacortes to Friday Harbor as this is a fun day trip if you get a chance. A good place to camp on the other side of the Strait of Juan de fuca is at Port Townsend. We stay at Fort Worden when we get a chance as it is right on the water and is very close to downtown. There are a lot of things to do in western WA. and OR. and I am sure you will not run out of things to do. One stop in the Astoria OR. area would be Fort Stevens State Park. If you do plan stay at this park let me know and I will private message you with some site numbers that are a little easier to get into.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We're very familiar with Jim and Mary's in Missoula and Grizzly RV in Yellowstone. We've stayed several times in both of them. I'm sure some other MOCers can help you on West Yellowstone backup places--take their advice. Some sound wonderful on paper, but actually have tiny, tight spaces that are difficult to get into and offer absolutely no room around your rig. I can't think of the name of the one we looked at right in town, about 8 blocks off of the main drag; it sounded nice but turned out to be a sardine-can situation and not well kept. We didn't stay there. Grizzly RV is always our first choice.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Any of the Oregon State parks along the coast are great. But get reservations ASAP. They are tough on the summer.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

Jim are you going to stay in Oak Harbor or are you open for a few more options when you are in that area? When you are there be sure and take the walk on ferry out of Anacortes to Friday Harbor as this is a fun day trip if you get a chance. A good place to camp on the other side of the Strait of Juan de fuca is at Port Townsend. We stay at Fort Worden when we get a chance as it is right on the water and is very close to downtown. There are a lot of things to do in western WA. and OR. and I am sure you will not run out of things to do. One stop in the Astoria OR. area would be Fort Stevens State Park. If you do plan stay at this park let me know and I will private message you with some site numbers that are a little easier to get into.
Larry,
We are going to spend sometime in Oak Harbor but are open to options too. I booked Oak Harbor for 2 weeks because it is a very popular military campground and difficult to get into. From what I have read online it is in a beautiful location. I can always shorten our time there if we want to. Are there other campgrounds that you would also recommend?
Thanks,
Marge
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

We're very familiar with Jim and Mary's in Missoula and Grizzly RV in Yellowstone. We've stayed several times in both of them. I'm sure some other MOCers can help you on West Yellowstone backup places--take their advice. Some sound wonderful on paper, but actually have tiny, tight spaces that are difficult to get into and offer absolutely no room around your rig. I can't think of the name of the one we looked at right in town, about 8 blocks off of the main drag; it sounded nice but turned out to be a sardine-can situation and not well kept. We didn't stay there. Grizzly RV is always our first choice.

Carolyn
Carolyn,
Thanks for the information about Jim & Mary's and Grizzly RV. Hopefully I should be
hearing back from Grizzly today or tomorrow.
This forum makes travel so much easier.
Marge
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Any of the Oregon State parks along the coast are great. But get reservations ASAP. They are tough on the summer.
Thanks, are there any that you have stayed in and recommend?
Marge
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Another location in WA that you may like out on the ocean is Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach was named one of the best military beaches in the world by the Navy Times.
http://www.navylifepnw.com/site/68/Pacific-Beach.aspx
The adjacent RV Park provides power, cable, water, picnic tables, a cook shelter and showers for registered guests. Check out their reviews @ WWW.TRIPADVISOR.COM OR WWW.MILITARYCAMPGROUNDS.US

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
[quote]Originally posted by Fire5er

Another location in WA that you may like out on the ocean is Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach was named one of the best military beaches in the world by the Navy Times.
http://www.navylifepnw.com/site/68/Pacific-Beach.aspx
The adjacent RV Park provides power, cable, water, picnic tables, a cook shelter and showers for registered guests. Check out their reviews @ WWW.TRIPADVISOR.COM OR WWW.MILITARYCAMPGROUNDS.US

Thanks, I wasn't aware of it, I will definitely look it up on the military campground listings.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Marge and Jim,

We stayed at Grizzly Park in West Yellowstone this past summer. We were just a few miles outside of Yellowstone at the West Entrance area. Grizzly is within walking distance if you will, to downtown West Yellowstone and the RV park was very nice.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Marge and Jim,

We stayed at Grizzly Park in West Yellowstone this past summer. We were just a few miles outside of Yellowstone at the West Entrance area. Grizzly is within walking distance if you will, to downtown West Yellowstone and the RV park was very nice.
Thanks Dennis & Judy, I am looking forward to staying there. I just looked at your Travel Blog and it was wonderful. I did see that you went to Mackinac Island and the UP, are there any campgrounds that you recommend?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Marge and Jim,

We have stayed at two cg's at Mackinaw
1. http://www.campmackinaw.com/
2. koa mackinaw

Both were fine. Some years ago we had a Montana rally at campmackinaw and left many attending with with mixed or unacceptable feelings from their staff.

That being said it is a nice layout, large but great views of the Lake and Mackinaw bridge.

Check them both out. Both are close to downtown and ferry service to Mackinaw Island.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Marge and Jim,

We have stayed at two cg's at Mackinaw
1. http://www.campmackinaw.com/
2. koa mackinaw

Both were fine. Some years ago we had a Montana rally at campmackinaw and left many attending with with mixed or unacceptable feelings from their staff.

That being said it is a nice layout, large but great views of the Lake and Mackinaw bridge.

Check them both out. Both are close to downtown and ferry service to Mackinaw Island.
Thanks, Dennis & Judy.