Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
GFI tripping

I know there are some good electrical techs on here and I need some help. My 2007 3475 RL will thip the gfi outlet if plugged in to one.If I turn the washer, dryer, 2nd air, and living rm breakers to off, I am OK. I have used a multi meter and a ground rod to earth and I detect about 1/2 amp and low voltage from the landing leg to earth. Everything works fine if I am connected to a non gfi circuit. Still have the current loss to ground though. I have been told by some people it is probably a converter problem. Feedback of some sort.
I don't know where my converter is located and I don't know how to check it out.
Any ond all help would sure be appreciated

John

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check each individual circuit,(breaker) one of the loads on one of the circuits (Breakers) is faulty, isolate it, then have it repaired.
I doubt it is the converter, but shut that breaker off others on, and see.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tighten all the connections in the circuit breaker panel including the neutral and ground wires. That electrical bleed that you are detecting concerns me. You could also have a loose connection in your power cord or the inlet box for your cord on the trailer. If you have the ability to swap power cords with someone and your problem goes away, your cord needs repair. That is an easy way to check it out. Good luck and let us know what you find.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I won't have time to work on it for a few days but I did check all the connections in the circuit panel breaker box. It does not trip any breakers in there but on the gfi protected box on the post. I'll repost as soon as I can adress this some more.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is this a new problem that has recently appeared?
A GFI outlet has a circuit that measures and compares the current flowing thru the hot pin to the current flowing thru the neutral pin. If the difference is a little as about 5 milliamps, it will trip the outlet. What flows in the hot should flow out the neutral, and no where else. Tripping basically means some amount of current is "leaking" out of the intended circuit somewhere. It can be a short between a neutral circuit and ground. It can be water in an electrical box somewhere. It can be failing insulation on a transformer or other electrical device. And on and on.
Are all the items you mentioned on 4 separate breakers? Or all on one breaker?
I think you are on the right track of narrowing it down. But isolating to a single point could be a problem. If you can get it down to a single breaker, then it might be a matter of unplugging/disconnecting each device connected to that breaker.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As an electrician working with the Escapees RV Club, when we set up rallies with minimal electric service, we found that most of the RVs would trip any GFI receptacle. The state of Minnesota made us change all of our receptacles to GFI before they would let us hook anyone up. After the inspector left, we bypassed all the GFIs and hooked direct. It's not uncommon for you to be tripping the GFI.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote