Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
More Sources For 12v Appliances

While researching for a 12v drip coffee maker, I ran across these two sites online that carry a large selection of 12v items and just thought I'd share them with you:

http://boatandrvaccessories.com/
http://www.roadtrucker.com/

These appliances will work inside the Montanas just fine, and they'll also work off of the “power outlets” (which have special 12 volt receptacles designed for higher amperage) that most of us have inside our pickup trucks.

Not all 12v appliances can work off of an ordinary cigarette lighter though, so if you want to use a cigarette lighter, check to see if it can handle the current requirements of the appliance.

If anyone has seen the Food Network show with Alton Brown called “Feasting on Asphalt”, where he roams America on his motorcycle looking for the best roadside food, he discovers the 12v Lunchbox Oven by Koolatron. It's also available for sale on these sites.

I found out most of the larger truck stops carry a variety of 12v appliances for sale so you can also save yourself shipping charges and shop at truck stops for 12v items. I think I'll go hit up the big truck stop not too far up the road from us and see how they compare to CampingWorld for price on a 12v drip coffee maker.

Doug & Margee
Davis,California
MOC-49
"On the Road Again.."
"Just Can't Wait to Get on the Road Again..."
2000 Dodge Ram SB 2500 4x4 Quad Turbo Cummings
2002 Montana 3295RK
2001 Onan 3600 (propane)

"The MOC isn't just a group of people, they're family".

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Not all 12v appliances can work off of an ordinary cigarette lighter though, so if you want to use a cigarette lighter, check to see if it can handle the current requirements of the appliance.
Would you determine how much current it can handle by checking the size of the fuse? We've been thinking of plugging our inverter used for the laptop/gps into the cigarette lighter that is below the cupholders rather than the power point that is next to those holders.

Thanks for the links. I have bookmarked them.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve if you plan on doing that let me suggest you tap into one of the 4 wires hanging under the dash panel where you access the fuse box below the steering column. There are 4 wires there, red, blue, black and I think brown double check that one. But any way they lead out thru the firewall and are just above the brake fluid reservoir where they come out of wiring housing with ends tapes blk. These can be used to wire up accessories inside the cab. Take one add a 30 amp or bigger inline fuse using good size wire and wire it into the pos side of battery directly. then inside install another power point 12volt lighter type plug. i got one from Radio Shack that has three separate outlets blk in color installed just below dash in middle of cab. That way you have plenty of power for laptop or what ever you use small that runs off your inverter plugged into the power point.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Broome. Those wires must be wired to the upfitter switches, when installed. I don't have those switches so the wires would be available. I'll save this for reference should I decide to go this route. Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Why Broome101 came along and took those words right out of my mouth! ...*LOL....

(I'm glad he did as I wouldn't be able to tell you how to figure it out.)

Doug & Margee
Davis,California
MOC-49
"On the Road Again.."
"Just Can't Wait to Get on the Road Again..."
2000 Dodge Ram SB 2500 4x4 Quad Turbo Cummings
2002 Montana 3295RK
2001 Onan 3600 (propane)

"The MOC isn't just a group of people, they're family".

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Just a word of caution when plugging into the cigarette lighter receptacle in your unit. In our '06 3295RK we plugged a little 300 watt portable inverter into the lighter receptacle in the forward closet next to the stock factory installed television, then tried to plug in the television. Poof went the fuse. I thought I had burned up the wiring behind the receptacle or fried the little inverter until I accidentally found the red light on in the fuse panel. Haven't tried it again, but we do use the inverter for other things & had no problem. I would have thought the little television up there would be ok as it doesn't draw that many amps.
Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Just a note on inverter sizes. Any inverter will pop a fuse if it is too much for the circuit. In sizing an inverter, multiply the voltage (12v) x the size of the fuse feeding the circuit you are hooking into. Thus, if the fuse is 20amp, your inverter size should be less than 240watts. 12v x 20amp = 240watts. Anything bigger WILL pop the fuse.

2002 GMC 2500HD Ext cab 4x4, D/A, Bilstiens, Hellwig rear sway bar, air lift w/in cab control
2007 Mountaineer 31RLD TT
Zodiac 10' w/4hp mercury
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
DandMontheroad-
We bought a 12v coffee maker from camping world...it took 40 minutes to heat up water! we took the coffee maker back, and went back to making coffee on the stove top. Reason for trying the 12v was because Kevin hates coffee grounds that he gets in the pot when we use stove top method, but I discovered a simple fix to this problem. Instead of using the small little filter. I use the regular full size filter and over lap the extra on top of the coffee grounds...No coffee grounds in his pot.But hey if you find a good 12v coffee maker, please let us know

Kevin and Denise
Trailer: 2004 Not a Montana,that's why we are "Party Crashers"
2005 Silverado HD Crew Cab

"Happiness in a RV is a Full Tank of Gas, and a Empty Holding Tank!"
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Margee- Great web sites, Thanks for passing on the info. I already see a few ideas for X-mas............I'll meet you at the truck stop!

Kevin and Denise

Old 08-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

While researching for a 12v drip coffee maker...
The best solution for good drip coffee while camping (and sans 110V) is not a 12V coffee maker (too slow and uses a fair amount of battery), but rather the Coleman drip coffee maker. This sits on a propane stove and uses the heat from the stove in place of the normal electrical heating element. Take a look at the following web site for a full description:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...releasenum=201

I have found them at Big 5, Sports Authority, Walmart(?), and other camping related stores.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Carl n Susan-
The Coleman Drip Coffee Maker looks very interesting. I think it would make Kevin a happy camper. I'll have to check the sporting good stores. I know Walmart does not have one....Many Thanks,
Denise

Kevin and Denise