Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 05:14 AM   #21
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The newer (2002) Ford automatics are different than the older styles. Previously you could manually downshift and it would shift into all the gears below but limit the higher gear to the one you selected. Somewhat like driving a manual transmission if you wanted to shift your way through each step. The newer ones only do that in the Drive position. When you shift into 3 you only have 3 and nothing below. It won't shift down automatically. Same with 2 and 1.
I found out the hard way. I was pulling up a steep 4x4 type driveway and shifted down into 3rd at the bottom as I wanted to go real slow to keep the dust down. I thought for sure the transmission had blown. It just stalled on the hill and would not go forward. When I let off the gas it rolled back a couple inches and clunk, like I had put it into park. I managed to get it shifted into low and decided to take it to the dealership the next day. The Service Manager got a good laugh out of it. He said "you didn't read the manual did you?" There is nothing wrong with the trans that is the way they are designed.

Apparently he was correct, because it is still running fine. I just had to learn how to drive an automatic all over again. BTW he told me to keep it in Drive 98% of the time and let the transmission do the work. Only select the lower gears when that is the only gear you want to run in and the conditions allow it.

Farmer Don [MOC 3628]
Barbara & Fuzzy (the Bichon)
2001 3280RL
2004 Ford F250

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 AM   #22
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The 2006 allison trannys (GMC & Chevy) have a toggle switch and a "M" or manual mode. In this mode you can toggle up and down through the gears. What ever gear you are in is the initial gear when you go from "D" to "M". I use tow/haul in drive and cruise control for most every towing situation. The exception is for extreme down hills or rough roads where the computer cannot possible know what's happening. For these unusual situations the "M" comes in real handy.

Dave and Victoria
Half Time Full Timers or is that just half full 0f it?-- whatever!

'06 GMC3500 DRW CC 4x4 Duramax/Allison Bubba Truck
Pulling Cambridge 358
Sharing with a Yorkie (Dude) and a Schipperke (Dharma)
Click here to read a detailed report on our Cambridge
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote