Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Water system care

I tried searching, but didn't get the results I was looking for...so if this is a rehash please provide a link so I can find it.

I know some of you are fulltimers, use water softeners, filters, and the like.
My wife and myself are lucky to get out a couple times a month. She's an RN and works every other weekend, so we are limited right now.

I am concerned about the health of my water system. We normally bring bottled drinking water, but I feel I should be able to properly setup and maintain the water system so we can consume onboard water, or water supplied by a campground (with the proper filtering of course).
I am not so concerned about onboard water as I know where it comes from (at this time). I am told not to carbon filter that water in the tank as it removes chlorine and that will promote algae growth.

Presently, we operate with a sediment filter for a campground connection, and the kitchen sink has a Pure water filter, followed by another Pure pitcher filter for drinking. I have recently added a carbon filter after the sediment filter outside for campground hookups.
These filters are a concern to me, not for what they can do, but because of what happens to them inbetween trips...I.E. drying out, not drying out and getting nasty, etc.

Can you guys please direct me to a safe method of caring for these water systems? Much thanks to those that offer to help...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Plastic bag in the refrigerator.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie,
Use the small everpure, or equivilent throw aways each trip, also sanitize the water tank between uses to be 100%.
I have read many postings and looked up filters in trade catalogs, you are on the mark about standing water between trips in filters, pich them.
We used a 5 gallon container we refilled at Wally World when we were staying in South Padre the last Two years, but I think I will just go with my Everpure under sink unit. Sounds like you have a good plan, just start with new filters each time.
By the way, how do I get Sue's picture up beside my truck in my do-dad under my messages?
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OK let me get this straight so your saying the filter on an outside system needs to be in frig when not in use. What are the cause and effect if you don't. I have a whole house type filter that I use outside and cut the top out of orange traffic cone for it to sit down in. i change the filter yearly, but in between times I do nothing other than sake the filter out was I unhook everything before storing it till next trip. I am asking for trouble?

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What I have read, is that any water filter sitting around grows those microscopic wormy things that make us sick.
A used filter sitting in 103 degree weather would make a good lab experiment for some college kid.
Maybe the refrigerator would slow down bacterial groth, but as you know, stuff goes bad even at 40 degrees. I have heard of people freezing them, don't know if that would be the answer or not.
I am sure many people do that exact thing and never have any problems, but why take the chance, get small filters and pitch them after each trip before storage. Campers world, or whatever it's called sells small ones because of that problem.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I didn't answer before because I was waiting for other opinions about the fridge. I can see it may slow things down, but...

Crap...Ozz - I was afraid somone was going to say something like that.

It makes sense to me that it wouldn't be sanitary to leave these filters just sitting betweeen outings. We haven't gotten sick yet, but I can see this needs serious attention. Especially if we're talking about contaminating the water system and in one form or another consuming said water.
Now after reading that, I'm about to bail completely and just buy bottled water.
So it's either constant use like at home, or fresh...not much middle ground.

I think a removeable filter may be key here. You can remove it between outings and dry it out. I'd bet this would be a safe way to go.

So now I need to find a sediment filter and then a carbon filter that the cases open up to do this.

EDIT... - Hey Ozz - to do that side by side picture thing in your sig...just have all the text on one line. That should do it. If not - pm me and I'll help you.

327RKS
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie,
Cool Beans!

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 07-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My whole house filter has positions for "filter", "off", and "bypass". I use a 3' RV water hose between park bib and the filter. When we disconnect, I move the filter switch to Off and connect the park end of the hose to the outside end of the filter so it is now a closed system.

I do not use this filter in freezing weather as it wouldn't survive. At that time I remove the cap, drain the tank, and toss the replaceable filter cartridge. When we go south in January I put in a new cartridge. The cartridges cost me $13 for a pair and each is good for six months, per the package.

In your situation where it would sit unused for two to four weeks I think I'd seal it like I do between trips (first paragraph) and then just reconnect at next use. I might pop the top and drain it at that time. Or not.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks for the reply Steve. Coming from a person that has been full timing as long as you guys have has to be worth some good advice in this area. A person would have to think you'd have gotten sick by now if your routines weren't up to par.
I would also imagine that your filters don't sit very long between uses, so that must also be taken into consideration.
Man...maybe someday...but for now I just have to make sure we stay healthy.

Ahem...edit for spelling error

327RKS
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree, better to be safe than sorry. But keep in mind these filters are used in stick homes by some people, too. And they'll go off on vacation for two to four weeks with no water movement during that time. I would think so long as the system is closed and the time is not excessive you'd be fine. But.... if unsure, I'd go with being sure.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote