Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
electrical outlet

I am wanting to install an outlet by the steps for some low voltage lights that will run on both the shore power and the battery of the Montana . Is this possible to have an outlet like this and if so, how do I do it?

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Anything is possible, but I think we need some more details to figure out how.

By "low voltage lights", I assume that you mean the lights themselves are 12 volt. What kind of connector do they have now? Do you have any idea of the amps or wattage that they use?

My first thought is that if they are 12 volt, all you need to do is provide some means to connect to the trailer's 12 volt system. That will automatically take shore power as needed from the converter, ...or am I missing something here?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
It is rope light that has a normal plug. They draw less that 8 amps because they have an 8 amp fuse and are 120 VAC. they are the kind of rope light that you can use around the walkway or around pool areas for soft lights.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I installed an AC outlet (120V) at the top of the steps we have a night light their and handy to plug in vacumn can do the entire unit from this location.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Where did you pull the power from? Did you start a new run or tap into a wire that was already live?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I tapped into a receptical in the desk in my 2955
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Since you have a 3670RL, which is what I have, you should find that the main electrical panel is right at the entrance door, backing up to the dividing wall between the living area and the locker space where the locker light is. I took out that light and remounted it in the ceiling of the locker, (gives more light like that). I then installed a 110v outlet in the hole where the light had been. Since there is already 12v power to that location, you could also add a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter type) there. Then you would be able to use a small inverter to power your lights from battery only, or plug into 110v to run them that way. You could then make an opening in the locker floor to feed an extension cord to the outside (you should be able to snake it around to the opening for the steps). This is just a broard outline of how I would do it having already done part of it. You obviously need to take some care to make sure the electical aspects are done safely, but I think it is quite do-able.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
OntMont (John), This sounds pretty easy, but where did you get the 110 power from? Did you start a new run from the breaker or just tapped into a line already? What does that light in the storage area run on battery, 110 or both...? If it runs on both 110 and battery, can I just use that light and do the cigarette adaptor for it? Thanks for good info on this matter...Any pics to see????????????
Old 06-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi, been away, hence the delay in response. I just ran a wire back to the electrical distribution panel that is right behind the 12 volt locker light. I hooked on to an existing breaker, but you could add a breaker if you felt it necessary for your application.

I'll try to take some pictures to send later.