Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Sewer drain line

Hi all,
Thought I would share something I did with my sewer drain pipe.
Seems to me that no matter how long I wait after I shut off my waste tanks I always get a little of liquid when I take the cap off the nest time I go to hook up my sewer hose. So what I did was find a knife(blade) valve with regular coupling and installed between the cap and the drain line. It fits on the drain valve just like the cap and sewer hose since it has same coupling. Got it a CW for about $18 and it is called Twist ON Waste Valve made by Valterra Products. Their web site is www.valterra.com.
Maybe some of you already have it but if not might be something to keep waste water off of you.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Yes I have one and I think it's great, no more wet feet. Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have not had this problem (yet). Sounds like a great solution to a potential problem that I need to look into. Thanks for the link.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I have been using one for 8 mo now. On two occasions even though it was firmly closed, when I took of the cap, 3to4 tablespoons of black water came out. I also check the tank valves and they were closed. Apparently these valves are not all that good.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine dont leak, but I like the idea. simple things always work best. I could not get your link to work so here is the one I found.

http://www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm
Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I've had one for nearly a year now and it not only works great for the above but can be used to add to your Gray water storage.
I keep the black and the new valve closed and open the gray and galley valves. As water always seeks it's own level the water from the shower and vanity will also flow into the galley tank. As we don't do a lot of cooking and therefore little dish washing we have nearly doubled our gray water storage. Depending on water usage, I can now get 6 to 7 days before draining the gray tanks. To dump the gray/galley water I merely open the new valve.
If I am also dumping the black tank, I close the gray and galley valves first and open the black and new valve and drain and flush the black tank thoroughly. I close the black valve and open the galley. When the galley has dumped, leaving the galley valve open, I open the gray valve and dump it. When finished dumping I leave the gray and galley valves open and close the new valve and I'm ready to start all over again.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Man, as always I am the last to know! lol
Well, good that a lot of people have discovered that valve. Trailer Trash 2, thanks for updating the link. Took the link off the box and I assumed the link was good since I just bought the valve.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the URL. I also looked at some of their other products. It is a interesting site. This is definitely on my "to-do" list when I return.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I just checked Camping World and they have one. Lets see if this link works. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...9&skunum=27868

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I had the same leak problem. I checked out the valve where the cable hooks up not much luck on any adjustments, did what I could do. The next time out same leak. I purchased a gate valve at a local rv dealer, not a twist on, I glued this one on. I have to remember to open both valves to dump,it can be kind of embarassing when your dumping and then you find you forgot to open the gate valve.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I do the same as Glenn but watch out in the cold, the pipes that hang below the belly. dont leave them to equalize mine froze.. long time w/heat gun to thaw, works great in non freezing weather.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
old turbo, FYI - I think general consensus awhile back was that the "surprise" liquid was actually some left in the loooong run from the galley tank (front & rear kitchens) to the main drain valve. The pipe tends to sag and retain a little liquid - then in transit, it "relocates" to the main drain cap. This is the most common fix now - some folks actually "hard plumbed" a valve in before these with the bayonets were available.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

I do the same as Glenn but watch out in the cold, the pipes that hang below the belly. don't leave them to equalize mine froze.. long time w/heat gun to thaw, works great in non freezing weather.
I realized that freezing could be a problem so I found a "fix" that takes away any possibility of freezing. Wanna know the answer???

Head south until it stops getting down to freezing. Central Florida works well for this "fix".

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote