Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
wannabervin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19242
High Country vs Montana

Planning to get a FW next year, and Montana is in the mix. I've been surfing RV Trader, looking at Montana High Country and "just plain" Montana. Prices and floor plans seem similar for either. I see that Keystone's web site lists High Country as Premium and "just plain" Montana as Luxury. How does that difference translate into the real world, and is one more suited to full timing?

wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Personal opinion is that Montana is the Full Time rig. Hardwood cabinets, more sturdy construction. High Country is the light weight Montana and you do loose something when you loose the weight.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
Montana is going to offer more up-scale options such as whisper quite AC, Mor-ryde suspension and hitch as well as 6 point auto leveling for a few. IMO Montana is a better built unit than the HC, but I'm sure that there is a price difference as well.
PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The High Country has no Mor-ryde pin box no high gloss Gel coat mostly Particle board cabinets Inside Inferior brand TV/sound systems and appliances not as well insulated and the list goes on , and when you say "plain Montana" I think you are referring to the 2015 1/2 and up NON Legacy Pkg Monty the 2015 and older there was no Legacy pkg and most of them came pretty loaded with the Mor-ryde 4100 suspension and 6 point auto level etc.... just go to Montana's Web site and you can compare them
Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have a HC and bought it from a friend who decided he didn't want an RV. I can't speak to Montana versus HC. But what some are saying about particle board cabinets are wrong. Cheaper appliances, wrong. Do some research because not everything your reading here is correct. I am sure price point is different and I am not trying to start an argument. I like the weight and hope we will like living it for 5 months a year in the future.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
High Country's are a good mid luxury 5er and I am not saying they are bad and they are petty dang nice but like you said you cannot speak about Montana VS High Country I see they stopped the particle wood so sorry about that now they use walnut now VS the more Upscale solid Cherry with solid cherry stiles like the Big Brother but Yes they have inferior brand TV's and Sound Systems and yes Inferior Brand Micro/convection etc.. etc..etc.. I have had 3 Montana's and have been in many High Country's their is quite the difference when you know what to look for ,Go to Montana's web site and compare the two or better yet Go into the High Country's "Big Brother" Montana Legacy and see for yourself
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike117

I have a HC and bought it from a friend who decided he didn't want an RV. I can't speak to Montana versus HC. But what some are saying about particle board cabinets are wrong. Cheaper appliances, wrong. Do some research because not everything your reading here is correct. I am sure price point is different and I am not trying to start an argument. I like the weight and hope we will like living it for 5 months a year in the future.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For fulltiming, I recommend you go with a Montana.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:22 AM   #8
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Big Skyjimmy, I agree and was not trying to offend. The tv system isn't great and I will be changing that out. The HC is not the top of the line but my point was it is pretty good and for me I got a deal that I was not going to pass up. It is built pretty darn good compared to some models. I wasn't even ready to buy. Everyone gets what they want and can afford. My dad had a lot of 5th wheels and he educated me on quality and what to look for. If money was not an opinion I know of other brands I would have shopped. As always enjoy the bog and learning from you full timers.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a HC love it but it's not a Montana. I agree with Dick. If you wont a camper to pull get a HC. They weigh a ton less than the Montana. If you wont a camper to live in get the Montana. They weigh a ton more than the HC. You get something with all that extra weight.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:33 AM   #10
wannabervin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19242
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

The High Country has no Mor-ryde pin box no high gloss Gel coat mostly Particle board cabinets Inside Inferior brand TV/sound systems and appliances not as well insulated and the list goes on , and when you say "plain Montana" I think you are referring to the 2015 1/2 and up NON Legacy Pkg Monty the 2015 and older there was no Legacy pkg and most of them came pretty loaded with the Mor-ryde 4100 suspension and 6 point auto level etc.... just go to Montana's Web site and you can compare them
When I said "just plain" Montana, I was trying to separate the two as they are in Keystone's web site. There's "Montana High Country" listed under Premium, and "Montana" listed under Luxury. Guess you could say "Montana High Country" and "Montana Montana!"

However, the responses here are very helpful. Thanks to all!
wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL There ya go Montana Montana it is hard to Name the "big brother" to the High Country
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wannabervin

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

When I said "just plain" Montana, I was trying to separate the two as they are in Keystone's web site. There's "Montana High Country" listed under Premium, and "Montana" listed under Luxury. Guess you could say "Montana High Country" and "Montana Montana!"

However, the responses here are very helpful. Thanks to all!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have a 2013 3402 Big Sky. I think at the 2014 fall rally when got to look at the new Montana's as we always do after the factory tour I was very confused. Wait said I what happened to the Montana Mountaineer I see a unit that looks like the Mountaineer but it says
"Montana" What's this said I here is a Montana Legacy that I never heard of and it looks just like my plain ole 2013 Montana 3402.

I got it said I they renamed the Mountaineer "Montana" and the "Montana" 'Montana Legacy" wait..where is the Big Sky..It disappeared.

Musical names for better marketing and we got a upgrade from a "Montana"to a "Montana Legacy" no charge and a discontinued statues on our Big Sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL that's funny but true it's just marketing same with my 2015 it is just a Montana But in 20151/2 what I have is a Montana Legacy confusing times at Montana
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Big Skyjimmy, I agree and was not trying to offend. The tv system isn't great and I will be changing that out. The HC is not the top of the line but my point was it is pretty good and for me I got a deal that I was not going to pass up. It is built pretty darn good compared to some models. I wasn't even ready to buy. Everyone gets what they want and can afford. My dad had a lot of 5th wheels and he educated me on quality and what to look for. If money was not an opinion I know of other brands I would have shopped. As always enjoy the bog and learning from you full timers.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
I have an HC and am quite happy with it. I originally purchased it because my truck wasn't large enough to handle the heavier Montana. From what I can tell, my HC has more stuff on it than many of the older Montanas. The basic savings in weight is probably the hydraulic stabilizers and sliders. Mine only has a 4 point electric stabilizing system compared to the 6 point on most new Montanas and it has electric cable sliders. The sound system is not as nice on the HCs and the Montanas have fancier interior lighting. When I upgrade my pickup, I'll be looking at a new Montana too. That is likely to be several years from now and who knows what the differences will be then.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The HC also is built like the older Montana and Mountaineer - a 10 inch I beam instead of the newer 12 inch beam. From what I have heard on here, they needed stronger I beams for the longer Montanas. My 2006 was only 33.5 feet and I think the longest at that time was 38-39 feet. Now I believe we are up to 43 feet!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
that is a good thing that now the larger High Country's do have 12in frames ,If me and my Wife were Not Fulltimers I would more than likely buy one as it would have saved me a bunch of cashAlso Mike117 if I was not a fulltimer I would not care that much about the nicer Tv's Pin Boxes, Cherry wood, High gloss gel coat etc..on the "bigger Brother"
Old 12-11-2016, 03:53 AM   #18
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I had been full timing in a large Motorhome. When it became too expensive due to constant repairs I traded it in on a High Country to full time in. I bought a 2016 375 FL. It has been the worst mistake of my many years of RV's. Go find a better constructed brand! My HC has been in the shop most of its life waiting for parts and service. Keystone Warranty is bad!
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sorry to hear that James. What has happened to your HC? What has went bad on it?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #20
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Don't get him started again look up all his other posts and find out
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Sorry to hear that James. What has happened to your HC? What has went bad on it?
Lynwood