Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm with Stiles on the 200 miles and 2pm although we're usually doing somwhere between 175 and 250 miles most days. It took us awhile to get out of "vacation mode" and realize we don't have to hurry. Not only do we take more days to get where we're going, we stay there longer so we can enjoy things most people never see and also have days to do laundry, cleaning, maintenance, and to just relax and enjoy ourselves doing not much of anything or maybe whatever we want to do.

Our most recent day of travel, we were traveling from Umatilla, FL, to Tybee Island, Savannah, GA. That's a long day for us. 289 miles if we went over to I-95 and took that not-fun road all the way to Savannah. Or 17 miles longer if we took US highways. We took the US highways, enjoyed the relaxed ride very much, and still reached our destination in plenty of time. We did take interstate around Jacksonville, FL, and about 5 miles near Savannah but that's it.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Stiles,
Very good point, when I retire I too will not be doing the 700 towing and 1200 empty trips. I usually just grab the Wal*mart parking lot, rest area or truck stop for my lay overs. 700/68mph= 10.3 hours of driving, add a lunch stop I am usually on the road for 11/12 hours a day. This has been my travel schedule now for the past 11 years, but as I get older I have a feeling I will not be able to keep it up. As I stated in my first post, I like "your rule", it just does not fit into my lifestyle at the current time. One more reason I am looking forward to retirement. Happy travels......
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Connorsmom

Well,
I'm headin' for FLA tomorrow morning!! I'm excited and scared all at the same time. It's my first vacation since 2000, my first ever vacation in a trailer, and the maiden voyage for the Monty. I sure hope I can sleep tonight...LOL I'll pop on here from time to time during my trip. Thanks to everyone on here for all of the tips and knowledge, y'all sure are a great group of people! Alrighty...cover me, I'm goin' in!!LOL

Jan
Jan best of luck on the trip. Hope all is going well. Keep us posted if possible on the new rigs progress.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe it depends on your personality, also. (Note the thread we were just discussing personalities). I, like Dave (Montana Sky), am a road warrior. I believe in "point A to point B" travel. Now, I know many disagree with that. I also know that many just don't like driving that much. I happen to love it. I drove straight through from Asheville, NC to Bellaire, MI without even thinking twice about it.

I will see a lot of this great country. I already have. But, I like moving down the road with my home behind me, and I will always have a specific goal of where I'm going before I ever leave the spot I'm currently in. I sure don't mean to put down those who have the capacity to just take off with no plan for the night. That's a great life, I'm sure. BUT... I would be a nervous wreck without a planned stop for that night - my personality.

I would like to try this 200/2 rule, though. I just really want to know where I'm going to stay that night... Maybe I'll grow out of this mode. I'm only 54...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #25
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Yep,
In the old days, I wouldn't even have budged from this spot tomorrow without knowing how many miles, where to stop for fuel, and the specific name of the place where I planned on staying. Heck, I was so anal retentive I would contemplate how many lane changes I would make...LOL But, at the ripe ole age of 52, I've managed to relax a little. I'll still have a target spot to stop tomorrow, I just won't worry about picking it out until about 3 hours prior to the cutoff hours/time. Now I'm gonna go try to get some of these fumes outta here or I'm never gonna get enough sleep for it to matter...LOL Later y'all...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is nothing about the 200/2:00 rule that says you can't plan your stop. You just plan it for the spot 200-300 miles down the road rather than 600-700 miles. It took me awhile to decide to "hang up my spurs" and avoid the saddle sores.

By-the-way, I still have my dad's spurs from the time he was a genuine cowboy and ranch foreman.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With rare exception, we nearly always plan our stop.

I think Dsprik has something there. A lot does depend on the individual, whether it be personality, background, goals, whatever. In our weekend/vacation days our goal was to minimize time lost to travel and maximize pleasure time at our destination. That meant lots of miles per day, sometimes traveling through the night, even.

When we retired, I thought we'd slow down, but at first that still meant a lot of miles per day. And it meant go go go to see everything at the destination, then hustle on to the next one. Over time we discovered we enjoy taking more time to see what we want to see. That we don't have to hurry to get there nor when we are there. And the pleasure of our travels increased immeasurably. I find I enjoy the journey. I enjoy driving, always have. Towing doesn't bother me in the least. I like avoiding sterile interstates and taking US highways and seeing the small towns, the people and scenery along the road, etc.

I like knowing if I see a sign or a pullout for something we decide on the spur of the moment we want to see, we have the time to do that. It is amazing just how much there is to see in this country that many people don't even know exists because they are in a big hurry and sail right on by.

I also like to know where we're stopping that night. So I do plan that stop. It's our goal for the day. Sometimes we make reservations (holidays, weekends during prime camping season, etc.) and other times we do not.

I think Dave (dsprik) got it right. People differ. To each his own.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #28
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Congrats on the trip Jan. To be perfectly honest, we didn't know you could tow a Tana more than 250 miles a day or 5 hours, whichever came first. I will have to check my owner's manual. Of course being retired, I may have gotten the slow moving version. Have a great trip.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You do what you have to do.When we were both working and had a 10 day vacation we had to pack everything into 10 days..travel time included. Now we can do as we wish.. we stop when we feel like it..100 miles a day, 200 miles a day, 400 miles a day..we have no particular agenda can't remember the last time we made reservations at a C.G when in travel status.. We both drive we do not push our limits. What ever suits your travel needs best is best for you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Jan, where in St. Pete? We are just up 19 in Clearwater and maybe we could do breakfast or lunch some time. AND while you're here if you need any help with that Monty just let us know.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #31
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We are off the road by 3 but early start in the AM.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #32
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey all,
Well, made it to the Eagles Roost Campground in Lake Park, GA. Only about 5 hours from St. Pete now. It was a VERY rough morning! I tried keeping the heat low like I said I was going to do because of the carpet fume situation. I put a small heater by Connors cage so she would stay warm, and left the fireplace heat on medium. I kept waking up every hour or so to check on her, and the later it got, again the worse my throat felt.

I got up this morning, went next door to my friends motorhome to have coffee, and had to run outside to get sick. Connor was also acting very odd and lethargic. Scared me REALLY bad!!! So, tonight Connor is going to sleep at my friends RV, and I'm going to air this place out. I kept the windows open the entire time I was driving again today also. Once we get down to warmer weather, I can open up everything and air it out really good. But I can't risk loosing Connor, she's my whole world. I still have allergy/flu symptoms from this stuff. I'll tell ya, if this caused me to lose Connor, I would sue every single place associated with this carpeting!! It's not right that they don't warn people about the severity of these chemicals. God only knows what this has done to my lungs and respiratory system, let alone Connor's.

Okay, enough whining. Everything else has gone pretty good. I LOVE the heated throne room...LOL My old TT didn't have that, and I would FREEZE my buns (tee hee) off having to go in there in the middle of the night. I think they could use a little more ingenuity regarding the vent for the bedroom though. It just tends to blow right up into the blanket cover on the bed. Een tucking it in doesn't really help because of the mattress size. So Keystone, whats up wit dat??

Glenn and Lorraine, I'll be all over the St. Pete area. I'll be doing an "in search of" for a campground to stay at once we get down there. We're going to check out the Woodall's book in the morning to see what's down that way. If y'all have any suggestions...feel free to jump in with them!! Doing lunch or breakfast sounds good...once I get settled in, I'll PM y'all and we'll set something up.

I guess this is long enough for now. I feel like I'm writing in a diary...LOL I know I'm gonna really love this Monty, just as soon as I can stay in it without getting ill...LOL Later...

Jan (The brats mom)
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #33
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Connorsmom

Hey all,
Well, made it to the Eagles Roost Campground in Lake Park, GA. Only about 5 hours from St. Pete now. It was a VERY rough morning! I tried keeping the heat low like I said I was going to do because of the carpet fume situation. I put a small heater by Connors cage so she would stay warm, and left the fireplace heat on medium. I kept waking up every hour or so to check on her, and the later it got, again the worse my throat felt.

I got up this morning, went next door to my friends motorhome to have coffee, and had to run outside to get sick. Connor was also acting very odd and lethargic. Scared me REALLY bad!!! So, tonight Connor is going to sleep at my friends RV, and I'm going to air this place out. I kept the windows open the entire time I was driving again today also. Once we get down to warmer weather, I can open up everything and air it out really good. But I can't risk loosing Connor, she's my whole world. I still have allergy/flu symptoms from this stuff. I'll tell ya, if this caused me to lose Connor, I would sue every single place associated with this carpeting!! It's not right that they don't warn people about the severity of these chemicals. God only knows what this has done to my lungs and respiratory system, let alone Connor's.

Okay, enough whining. Everything else has gone pretty good. I LOVE the heated throne room...LOL My old TT didn't have that, and I would FREEZE my buns (tee hee) off having to go in there in the middle of the night. I think they could use a little more ingenuity regarding the vent for the bedroom though. It just tends to blow right up into the blanket cover on the bed. Een tucking it in doesn't really help because of the mattress size. So Keystone, whats up wit dat??

Glenn and Lorraine, I'll be all over the St. Pete area. I'll be doing an "in search of" for a campground to stay at once we get down there. We're going to check out the Woodall's book in the morning to see what's down that way. If y'all have any suggestions...feel free to jump in with them!! Doing lunch or breakfast sounds good...once I get settled in, I'll PM y'all and we'll set something up.

I guess this is long enough for now. I feel like I'm writing in a diary...LOL I know I'm gonna really love this Monty, just as soon as I can stay in it without getting ill...LOL Later...

Jan (The brats mom)
Jan, A good choice would be Robert's Mobile Home & RV Resort
They are on Gandy Blvd just east of Route 19 and easy access from I-275 south.
BUT they maybe full this time of year. Some other options may be Avalon RV Resort (no web site) where we are now, Lee's Travel Park on Belcher just north of Ulmerton Rd or St. Petersburg/Madeira Beach KOA near the Bay Pines VA Hospital
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jan, stop at Lowe's or Home Depot and get yourself an adjustable furnace vent grille to replace the OEM one. That way you can point the air in the direction you prefer. The size on ours is 11 inch by 2 inch.

We're in the Savannah area, about 150 miles NE of you. But not on your route.

Good luck getting past those fumes. We didn't have much of it in ours, thankfully.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #35
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey all,
Well...we finally made it!!! We did get into Roberts RV park. Packed in here like sardines...LOL I wasn't going to say anything cuz it's kind of embarrassing, but it can happen to anyone, and if it makes one person say..."remember what happened to Jan"...well then it's worth it.

I was having a hard time dealing with some guy at the pump while fueling at a TA. Pulled around the back to park so we could go in for some breakfast. I came around a little too sharply, and heard a popping sound that I ain't never gonna forget. The corner of the Monty took out the drivers side of my back window, and dented in the cab...:-( What really pi$$38 me off is...it's my own fault. I have been SO careful about watching out for that. But, I let anger take my mind off what I was doing. Definitely a lesson learned.

I have to take the truck into the collision shop in the morning, and use a rental car for two or three days. The plus side is it didn't damage the Monty. It just left a few small marks on it that can be rubbed out easy enough. A heck of a lot cheaper than the $500.00 deductable I'm looking at now. On a lighter note...it was in the 70's when we got here today. And it brought back tons of memories of living here when I was going over the bridge towards St. Pete.

I opened all the windows and ran the FF as soon as we got here. Maybe since I don't have to run the heat tonight, the fumes will keep to a minimum. I now officially have a cold, and not too happy about it. I'm also having a problem with a piece of trim on one of the LR slideouts. It keeps catching on the carpet when I work the slideouts, and it's pulled away from the wall. I'll need to glue it or something. I think it must be a smidgeon too long. I'll start setting up home tomorrow, and see what else I find in here. Just getting rid of the smell would be a BIG bonus!! Later...

Jan
Old 01-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
From your post, it sounds like you may not have a slider hitch on your TV. /since you have a short bed truck, you may want to consider that investment for sharp cornering. Congrats on getting there!! Enjoy the warmth.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #37
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Sorry to hear the bad news. With a SB don't you have a sliding hitch? The next time you get hitched up to the Monte you should go to a big parking lot and see how tight a turn you can make w/o hitting your TV. Then try it with your slide extended if you have one.

On the bright side neither you nor anyone else was hurt. You can always fix the Monte or TV.

Don't feel to bad, you are not alone. I backed into my garage roof overhang. Need a little end cap repair someday.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #38
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey, yep, I have a Reese 16k slider. I didn't even consider using it because I was in a parking lot. I just got sloppy with how tight I cut the wheel. Trust me, it will NEVER happen again. All those years of driving semi without incident. Pulling double trailers all over the place too...and I go and have a problem with a little 5er and truck...go figure...LOL Ah well...such is life...:-)

Jan
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Those 2007 Dodge Quad Cabs are beautiful machines. Love the inside room. Unfortunately, they have the least amount of clearance of all the big three short beds. The SuperGlide hitch is a beautiful, all automatic hitch, you might want to save up for, Jan. Maybe a second mortgage??? However there are several MOCers here that will tell you they are worth their weight in gold... I think the going price runs around $2,200 - not installed. Others here could clarify that.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #40
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Connorsmom - If it makes you feel any better, second time we brought the Monty home and Virgil was backing it into parking position he backed into a tree. Luckily he was hitting the brakes about that time and he was able to fix the damages himself with a fiberglass repair kit from Wally World. Point is: He drove big rigs for a lot of years also - no incidents - he was mortified!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote