Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
2002 7.3 PSD and R Autos

OK here it goes for all that tow their Monty with a 2002 or older F PSD with auto transmission. I recently have experience an issue when my tranny got hot and fluid came out from overflow or pump seal on or the other. My truck only has 34K miles on it. When returning from camping trip backing into driveway once parked it poured out fluid about 2 qts worth. Once it cooled down no leak. Took it to dealer since it's under warranty they said nothing wrong added about 1 pint of fluid, no codes etc, no leaks. Drive fine know, out I am scared it will happen on the road. My camper is 3685FL which loaded is about 12,300 lbs. Dealer asked if I was pulling with OD on or off I told him depends on conditions if in hills OD off if on flat land OD on. They told me on mine you should always pull with OD off.
My question is what do you fellows with same transmission pull with OD button normal or push it off? This is second time this has happened and makes me uneasy pulling with the family.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I always tow with the overdrive on (normal position). Trans has always been in the normal range with the exception of a very long steep upgrade and then the temp increase stayed within an acceptable range. I did install after market gages for the trans, boost and header temp so I can monitor the trucks performance but have never experienced what you described. Have you changed the trans fluid and filter? I have been very disciplined in the transmission maintenance. I change the fluid every 15,000 miles and the fluid and filter every 30,000. After having the trans fluid heat up to where it boiled over/out I would strongly suggest changing the fluid and filter.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This reply will almost ditto what Steve said. I installed after market gauges on my '01 F-250. and watch them closely while pulling. Only one time did I have the tranny temp up to 210 degrees, well within the operating range. Even though Texas is mostly flat, we do have hot days. I do see higher temps when running in lower gears especially in traffic passing through towns. As quick as I can get back up to speed and get the transmission in OD the temp will slowly return back to a more normal temp of 185-190.

When pulling on grades I leave mine in OD and let the transmisson work as it was designed and shift as needed. The only time I push the button would be in traffic when speed can not be maintained and it start shifting in and out. I am not sure of the why it is said that towing should be done with the OD off unless it is to circulate more oil. Once I had to get out of OD because of the turbo outlet temp had reached max and I had to cool it down.

The two persons that I have talked to that boiled over a Ford transmission were both pulling mountains but I don't know what their conditions were.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I drive in OD unless I am in a area with hills, then I take it out of overdrive. I was told not to leave it in overdrive and let it downshift while pulling the 5er. I have also noticed some overflow when backing up an incline. I had the transmission flushed at 30,000 miles, the technician said the old fluid looked good and there were no metal shavings in the pan. I find it very hard to drive out of OD when on a flat road. Hoping for the best.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Broome 101,
If you are backing up a hill and reving the engine fast, it will blow oil out the overflo. If it is reved to much it will blow the seal.
I always pull with overdrive on and kick it out when pulling a long grade.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Thanks to all, my truck has 34K on it changed tranny filter and fluid at 30K. Have appointment tomorrow to have it flushed and changed again and going to switch to full synthetic this time. I am almost scared to try it again, if this baby blows one more time it may be on to an D/A trade or new Ford. Don't know much about the new Ford Torque Shifts other than what Steve has said in his post.
I was told that to tow with OD off would disengage the torque converter by having it over the stall rpm's of 1800 rpms. Less torque converter pressure less heat is what he told me. My fear is if it leaked once it's going to do it again.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Broome101, Can you describe the driveway you were backing into?

My understanding from past discussions in other forums is that a big chunk (if not majority) of transmission problems can be tracked to low speed backing a large trailer in difficult spaces. Situations like up hill or in soft ground. We back slowly so we can position the rig and that lets the tourque converter slip & slip & slip under load and build up terrific heat.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:22 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Trusty 96 Silverado was pulling near or over max load with our TT and did so for years.When pulling a grade we would drop out of OD to prevent up and downshifting.We had after market guages and dropping out of OD ALways caused the temp to drop...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Eric,
It's a flat driveway, I pull into my neighbors drive directly in front of my side driveway and back straight back into mine. Concrete to concrete driveways. Straight in and straight back no big issues really. I love my truck but hate issues and just added good bit of stuff to truck and just spent 700.00 on new Michelin tires, want work on the new models they are coming out with 18" tire and wheels now.
I guess I will try again this weekend and drive the whole way with OD off and see what happens.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
My Ford owners manual says to tow with the overdrive on and to take off when pulling steep hills or it is doing a lot of downshifting.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I installed a tranny cooler in front of the radiator since the factory installed one is too small. Most part stores have them and it can be installed in about 30 minutes in series with the factory cooler.

I installed an autometer tranny gauge in the test port on the side of the transmission. I believe the test port is on the drivers side.

I installed an autometer pyrometer in the exhaust of the engine.

Built an exhaust brake with a torque converter lock up circuit.
--------------------------

I drive by my gauges. If the tranny gets too hot take action such as slowing down or going in to rest stops with the engine running.

If I am climbing and my EGT starts climbing too much I lower the gear out of od or even go into D2. Remember if your EGT gets too hot it will transfer to the tranny.

If descending steep grades I engage my TC lock. This prevents overheating on descent because if it is not locked the converter is on fluid flow which will cause overheating on descent. Theory is with a load and a unlocked converter the fluid flows in multiple directions reducing tranny cooling.

When you do overheat (above 210F) it would be wise to change fluid as soon as possible. I have never exceeded 210F. Knock on wood.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
WD40DNT

M.O.C. #3957
I also think that you need to tow in O/D. If I read your post right this has only happen when you back into your parking space at home. I have a small hill to back my fifth wheel up and mine will do the same thing every time. I started letting my truck cool down for about 30 min before I back it into my parking place. Been doing this for three years now and have never lost any more oil.
WD40DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:50 AM   #13
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I also tow in OD and downshift as EGT goes up. I added a hayden trans cooler and a large capacity transmission pan. Added about 8 quarts in sump capacity. Have yet to seen any temps over 170.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 1999 F350 was V10 gas, not diesel, but I think the same transmission. The manual said ok to tow in OD and I did. The only exception, if in rolling hills where it did a lot of shifting in and out of OD I would manually take it out of OD. Never had problem one with that transmission. For whatever it's worth, our '03 6.0 psd and this '05 6.0 psd automatics do not have an option to get out of OD. The Tow/Haul button is where the OD off button used to be. Tow/Haul does not take it out of OD.

Broome, the TorqShift is outstanding. Somewhere around here I have a link or two to magazine comments about the transmission. I have an aftermarket tranny temp gauge in addition to other gauges and the tranny temp on the dash. Normal range towing is 150 to 190 depending on outside temperature, grade, etc. I saw it hit 210 once and just backed off the throttle a little and it came right back down. I just last week read something that said the Ford engineers say they consider 240 to be the temperature to start becoming concerned. But I'd get concerned well before that. The probe for my gauge is less than six inches from the transmission, in the line going from transmission to cooler, so I figure that's a good measure of the heat.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:39 AM   #15
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
The best information I have ever read about Powerstroke engines comes from a magazine called 'PSR' or 'Powerstroke Registry'. You can learn about it at http://www.powerstrokeregistry.com/

Doug, the mechanic who writes the tech tips column swears by having a Transgo Shiftkit installed in all automatic trannys. Check out this magazine, I have learned a ton of information about my Powerstroke through my subscription.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Take a look at the banks trans lock and the trans command system. The trans command came with my banks system and it raises the line pressure and makes it shift out better instead of that car like shift and helps keep the cluches from slipping and the trans lock has to do with the torque converter. The problem you are having is the reverse clucth because of fluid temps you need to also install a forced air cooler on it. Go to this web site and read the article that billy wrote he is very expreienced.
It is www.billt.com
He has dealt with this before
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Sorry for wrong address don,t kmow what that was but i left out the y in billy. Here is correct add.
www.billyt.com
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #18
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
My Driveway is long and steep, so I shift the transfer case into 4L without locking the front hubs. You could back it up a tree. I would also consult your service manager before installing anything to your truck. I was almost refused warrantee on a transmission replacement because I installed air bags and EGT guage.
My manual says to shift to lower gears for inclines and nothing about no OD but because I live in the mountains I normally tow without OD on. My electric fan sure like to roar when going up a long steep incline though. Anyone else experience this also?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote